Quantcast
Suit Rentals - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Suit Rentals

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

Default Suit Rentals

I need to rent suits for my wedding this summer, anyone have any recommendations of places they liked or anywhere I should avoid?

If you know the approx cost I'd also appreciate it
    My wedding party is 8 including myself - so while I'm not broke, I'd like to avoid paying top $$.

I rented a suit at Moores last summer for a wedding and wasn't really impressed. Their idea of "fitting" seemed to be taller = larger/wider suit, which isn't great for a thin guy.

I'm going to do some actual leg work, but I always like to hear actual experiences!

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

only time i had to rent a suit/tux was in 06... but we went to black and lee, i thought it fit alright

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

I got married last year and we went to Derks for our rentals. The guy serving us was a complete moron. He couldn't get the sizing if his life depended on him and we only rented 3 tuxes. 2/3 including mine where sized incorrectly. The 1 that was sized correctly was measured by someone else and I have to say he did a good job sizing.

Anyways, due to timing constraints my best man couldn't pick and try on his suit until the day before the wedding... and he went in there to pick it up and nothing fit. Everything was huge etc, so he had to drive around town trying to find things that fit from the different Dirks.

The guy who ended up sizing him eventually I believe got fired that day, or a few days later because he made a sexist comment to one of the owners daughters hahaha, that and he couldn't size worth SHIT.

So my warning is, that if you go suit sizing, and there is a older say (40-50) year old gentlemen that is heavily overweight with a mustache, who likes to crack sexist jokes to stay away from him at all costs. You will not be pleased with the end result.

My Ride
    K20A2

Originally posted by ercchry
    only time i had to rent a suit/tux was in 06... but we went to black and lee, i thought it fit alright
    how expensive was it?
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

that was 8 years ago... soooo

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Just had a tux fitting at Moores last night and as I was worried about having a jump suit but everything went fine. They finally offer slim fit shirts and pants, although the pants could have been tapered slightly more but might just be my person preference. Make sure you ask for the slim fit because they still offer jump-suit style haha, one of the guys tried a regular on and it was ridiculous.

This was just the fitting so we’ll see what shows up for the wedding, fingers crossed.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Is there such thing as a proper fitted rental?

I was in a wedding that used Black and Lee and most of the guys looked pretty bad in the suits due to the fitting.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by austic
    Is there such thing as a proper fitted rental?

I was in a wedding that used Black and Lee and most of the guys looked pretty bad in the suits due to the fitting.
    Agreed, its not going to be ideal but are you going to ask your wedding party to dish out $$$ for matching suites?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i guess i should also mention that off the shelve suits fit me pretty damn good

My Ride
    X3

I was a groomsmen last summer and instead of renting at Moore's, the groom just bought the suits from H+M. I think the rentals were $195 from Moore's and the suits from H+M were $250 or so.
    At the end of the day, for the extra $50 we got suits that had a modern fit and we can still wear them.

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

What you're all saying is about what I expected (don't expect a ton), but it sounds like I should consider giving Moores another chance.

Originally posted by Justing
    I was a groomsmen last summer and instead of renting at Moore's, the groom just bought the suits from H+M. I think the rentals were $195 from Moore's and the suits from H+M were $250 or so.
    At the end of the day, for the extra $50 we got suits that had a modern fit and we can still wear them.
    That's not a bad idea! I find the sleeves on H&M suits/everything is too short for me, but I may as well walk to the DT location and take another look. $200 feels like a ridiculous to rent clothes for a single day.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

$250 is a nice groomsmen gift. but paying $200 to rent clothing is insane. Buy the suits.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

Booked an appointment for my wedding party to get fitted at the Calgary Bridal Center in a couple weeks. Everything looked pretty nice, the suits are all onsite in case changes need to be made, and a jacket/pant rental is only $125/pp!

Their jackets fit me well (slim fit), but the pants were all for men that weigh 200lbs+ (I'm 6ft and 140lbs), so they fit me like baggy 2000's skater jeans. I'll probably rent or buy mine separately, as I like the idea of wearing something different.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

You won't be disappointed with the Calgary Bridal Center. Their total rental price (basically everything incl. socks excepting underwear) was only around $200 4 years ago when I got married - although I ended up buying a bespoke suit in HK instead so I never ended up renting there. The Bridal Center also custom tailors certain things (ie. hem pants, hem jacket arm lengths, tuck in suits into the hips, etc.) the way an actual M2M tailor would. For example, they actually let down the rear-part of the pant leg slightly to give the front half of your pants a straighter, relaxed look without bunching up. They also had the largest selection of styles & colours I had seen in town. Huge to them!

In contrast to a friend's wedding that I was in the party for last summer, we rented suits from Moore's that cost ~$150. I think the only thing that actually fit me property were the shoes. Everyone, including the groom himself, had a hard time finding items that fit. In fact, the groom didn't get the right-sized jacket delivered to the store (his wedding was in Saskatoon so they only had the one store in town) only the day before the wedding!
    Last edited by mo_money2supe; 01-31-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

The last suit I rented (Moores) was $250 or more, didn't fit well, and when you can buy a better quality full custom suit for $399, I wouldn't bother with rentals at all. Also some of us returned it less than a day late and were charged another $40.

I wasn't impressed with Moore's. The fit was poor (only choices were too big or too small), and their "slim" shirts were like parachutes still. I'm totally normal sized, 5'10" 165lbs.

Calgary Bridal Center was even worse, I've never in my life worn a larger dress shirt. It was so big, the collar folded over on top of my tie knot, and the shoulder seams were at mid-bicep. $79 buys you a perfect custom made shirt.

My suggestion is to get everyone a custom suit, and give them a $100-200 credit or whatever you're comfortable with as your groomsman gift. Then they have a flawlessly fitting suit they can wear hundreds more times.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-31-2014 at 11:09 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

someone posted this in the suit thread, cant get much cheaper for matching tailored suits!

http://calgary.alfadesigner.com/

My Ride
    06 WRX

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Just had a tux fitting at Moores last night and as I was worried about having a jump suit but everything went fine. They finally offer slim fit shirts and pants, although the pants could have been tapered slightly more but might just be my person preference. Make sure you ask for the slim fit because they still offer jump-suit style haha, one of the guys tried a regular on and it was ridiculous.

This was just the fitting so we’ll see what shows up for the wedding, fingers crossed.
    Unless it's changed since summer 2012, the slim fit shirts are still big (6' 190 lbs and lots of room in that shirt to spare), just the regular ones are ridiculous. I assume I did not have slim fit pants, as I was MC hammer dancing a good chunk of the night. I don't have a better suggestion, but I'd never recommend Moore's.

Derk's aggravated me on the return policy as, at the time (2008), they weren't open Sundays and for a Saturday rental you could only return it between something like 10AM and noon on Monday. When I picked it up they said it would be fine to return it end of day Monday (given I have a day job), and then they made a scene when I did it.
    Last edited by tenth; 02-04-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Originally posted by tenth

Unless it's changed since summer 2012, the slim fit shirts are still big (6' 190 lbs and lots of room in that shirt to spare), just the regular ones are ridiculous. I assume I did not have slim fit pants, as I was MC hammer dancing a good chunk of the night. I don't have a better suggestion, but I'd never recommend Moore's.
    +1

Unless their clothing has changed very, very, recently, their "slim" fit stuff is still a parachute. The "regular" fit is just comical.

The problem is almost all men's dress shirts are cut like a big square, and they fit like it too. Custom shirts are so cheap, it's a no brainer IMO.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Originally posted by triplep
    I got married last year and we went to Derks for our rentals. The guy serving us was a complete moron. He couldn't get the sizing if his life depended on him and we only rented 3 tuxes. 2/3 including mine where sized incorrectly. The 1 that was sized correctly was measured by someone else and I have to say he did a good job sizing.

Anyways, due to timing constraints my best man couldn't pick and try on his suit until the day before the wedding... and he went in there to pick it up and nothing fit. Everything was huge etc, so he had to drive around town trying to find things that fit from the different Dirks.

The guy who ended up sizing him eventually I believe got fired that day, or a few days later because he made a sexist comment to one of the owners daughters hahaha, that and he couldn't size worth SHIT.

So my warning is, that if you go suit sizing, and there is a older say (40-50) year old gentlemen that is heavily overweight with a mustache, who likes to crack sexist jokes to stay away from him at all costs. You will not be pleased with the end result.

Ahaha we went to derks for my brothers wedding tux rentals. The guy you spoke of did the fittings for us in January 2013 ( I was going overseas for 6 months). 3 weeks before the june wedding I get a call saying all our measurements were lost or ridiculous numbers. The manager there ( i can't recall her name), was fantastic for us for getting all measurements done and fixing things ASAP. We ended up paying about 125 each for 4 tuxes plus grooms free. This included shoes, cuff links, etc. Regular was closer to 300 each.

Despite that heavy set guy messing things up, the manager more than redeemed it for us. It was pretty frustrating trying to coordinate everything from the other side of the world. So I would recommend Derks for sure.

My Ride
    Lariat

Did tip top tailors for my wedding in august and i would suggest you avoid them. price was decent, around $170 ish but the tuxes all came in and the pants were massive. They brought them all in a few times but it did not help all that much. Considering the tuxes were calvin klein "modern slim fit" tuxes they certainly did not look the part. It was too late to change and they looked ok but If i could do it again somewhere else I would. That being said if you ordered 5 tuxes or more the grooms tux was free so at least it saved me a few bucks
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ