Quantcast
Another original 'what car to buy' thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Another original 'what car to buy' thread

My Ride
    G37X

Default Another original 'what car to buy' thread

Hey all, looking at changing my car up, and am looking for some feedback and suggestions. What I want out of the vehicle: decent level of luxury and features (leather, nav+backup cam preferred), quick (250+ hp range) automatic sadly as I spend a lot of time in traffic, as old as 2007 probably. I'm also looking for something that will be decently reliable, and give me some options for aftermarket to keep me from getting bored of it. AWD is definitely something I'd like to try out, and I'm looking at a budget of ~$20k. My current thoughts are these, and would much appreciate input on them as this is mostly new to me.
    2007-2008 G35X with nav. Anyone have experience with the awd system in these? The car itself seems good, drives well and is nicely equipped, the VQ engine sounds quite nice too.
    2008+ CTS4, I have absolutely no experience with Cadillacs or american cars in general, how are these? I haven't had a chance to go look at one yet but on paper and in pictures these look quite good with the 3.6L engine.
    2007-2008 Subaru Legacy GT/3.0R, seems interior will be a step back, how's the automatic on these things? Subaru is definitely known for the AWD.
    Late B7/early B8 A4. Quattro, less power with the turbo but that is fixed super easy. Seems like it will be a solid car, but what's reliability like on these? Never even driven a nicer German car.

Sorry for the length of this, and thanks to anyone who reads and gives input on this.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Interesting the G35 came up first in your list, as it was what I was thinking of. As a NA engine, I imagine there is some but limited upgrades but I'm unsure.

CTS4: Nearly no upgrades. Very sharp car, and peppy with the di version of the engine.

Subaru Legacy: This was my second thought, and your third. I'd go with the 2.5 turbo for certain. I believe the 3.0 is actually slower, though the torque band would be better. IMO, ho-hum styling both in and out.

I truly love Audi. They make the nicest interiors in the business, imo. Exteriors are nice too. But I'd only buy one with an oversized engine (S4) or turbo at the bare minimum and then APR it - as they respond very well to their tuning. AWD system is excellent as well.

What about an AWD BMW? 335i is a rocket, and the coupes are gorgeous.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 01-23-2014 at 11:20 PM.

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Lexus IS

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Infiniti or Audi

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Interesting the G35 came up first in your list, as it was what I was thinking of. As a NA engine, I imagine there is some but limited upgrades but I'm unsure.

CTS4: Nearly no upgrades. Very sharp car, and peppy with the di version of the engine.

Subaru Legacy: This was my second thought, and your third. I'd go with the 2.5 turbo for certain. I believe the 3.0 is actually slower, though the torque band would be better. IMO, ho-hum styling both in and out.

I truly love Audi. They make the nicest interiors in the business, imo. Exteriors are nice too. But I'd only buy one with an oversized engine (S4) or turbo at the bare minimum and then APR it - as they respond very well to their tuning. AWD system is excellent as well.

What about an AWD BMW? 335i is a rocket, and the coupes are gorgeous.
    Looks like we're fairly well on the same page. The G35 has just the basics regarding modifications, infact from what I've read most intakes actually take away power leaving FI ($$$$) and exhaust. Have you got any experience with the redesigned CTS? Reliability, how the awd system is etc. The only thing really keeping the legacy in the running is the GT which I would imagine has quite a bit of options for modifications, but I'm unsure of how the automatic transmission would hold up if boosting power.

The main thing holding me back from the Audi is reliability, as I know at one point it was quite bad, and has improved but I don't know how it would rank compared to what else I'm looking at, which is also what made me not even consider the 335XI outside of warranty. Any thoughts on that?

Originally posted by roll_over
    Lexus IS
    I quite like the IS350 but to get AWD I'm a big jump in price, which I don't want to do. I can get the IS250 in AWD for my price but I'm afraid I would get bored of it with 200hp and no option for a big jump like the A4 has without spending a lot.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Nah... the IS isn't going to work for you.

No, I have little true experience with any of these cars; I just read the pros and cons, showdowns, etc.

My Ride

How about a B6/7 S4?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I've owned a Legacy GT 2.5T before and loved it, I would buy another one as my DD if my budget was that high.

My Ride
    AW10

Acctually the New 2013-2014 CTS-4 does have a remapped upgrade to the user system. The older ones had the old system with a plethora of buttons.

The new CUE
    (Cadillac User Experience entertainment). They limited the dash clutter, and put LCD's in the speedo cluster and touchscreen nav system.

All new Caddy's have this upgrade.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Not a fan of the G35X. The G35 was not bad, felt kinda sporty in handling. The X just numbs all of that down. Not sure how good it is in winter, but it was terrible in the summer. Such a bland car to drive.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 09:42 AM.

My Ride
    14' C63 507 Edition Coupe

Luxury? Check
    Nav/Leather? Check
    AWD? Check
    250+hp? Check
    Reliable? Check

$20K....... setting yourself up for disappointment I would say. We all want those things but with your budget I would get something newer with warranty and you would have to give up the AWD.

What your getting with $20K and all those options is not the best example of any of those vehicles your looking at.

Is it monthly payments or you want to pay cash?

if I were you I would either spend a few grand more or a lot less and save up for a nice clean A4/A6 with certified warranty.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by amear
    How about a B6/7 S4?
    For $20k?

Out of your choices, I'd go for the Legacy.

Sometimes, you can find the top-of-the-line spec.B in the used market for ~ that price +/-$5k.

They're unicorns though.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Accord Coupe?
    I drive a '09 I4 and test drove the 09 6sp V6 as well. The 8th gen is WAY too heavy and underpowered. I'd go for the 06/07 if I wanted power. You lose a few HP but also ~150 lbs
    http://new-car-search.autos.ca.msn.c...id3=1072300108
    http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28445
    Last edited by jwslam; 01-24-2014 at 10:25 AM.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by jwslam

I drive a '09 I4 and test drove the 09 6sp V6 as well. The 8th gen is WAY too heavy and underpowered. I'd go for the 06/07 if I wanted power. You lose a few HP but also ~150 lbs
    http://new-car-search.autos.ca.msn.c...id3=1072300108
    http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28445
    Hmm.. not doubting you but

"

In addition, Edmunds got a 2006 Accord V6 AT to go 0-60mph in 7.6 seconds, while they got a 2008 Accord V6 AT to go 0-60mph in 7.0 seconds.

The 8th gen Accord only weighs 165 lbs more, but has 24 more HP and 37 more ft-lbs of torque.

"

Plus, the 8th Gen is far more modern, looks fantastic and has lots of room.

OP, did you consider the GS350 AWD, Acura RL, or M35x? They are hard to find, but may be worth the wait.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Hmm.. not doubting you but

"

In addition, Edmunds got a 2006 Accord V6 AT to go 0-60mph in 7.6 seconds, while they got a 2008 Accord V6 AT to go 0-60mph in 7.0 seconds.

The 8th gen Accord only weighs 165 lbs more, but has 24 more HP and 37 more ft-lbs of torque.

"

Plus, the 8th Gen is far more modern, looks fantastic and has lots of room.

OP, did you consider the GS350 AWD, Acura RL, or M35x? They are hard to find, but may be worth the wait.
    An RL would be so boss.

But has to be a dark colour.

Not silver or champagne.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by flipstah
    For $20k?
    ~
    They're unicorns though.
    Exactly, I was in the same boat as OP last year, LF: $20k 'sports/entry-level luxury' sedan with less than 70k kms, been actively watching most of the models he mentioned and some needle-in-haystack deals do happen (sub-60k km G35 M6 sedans, low km Spec Bs/IS350 AWDs owned by rich older folk or those who have no idea how much their stuff is worth), you have to jump on that stuff and commit asap.

I've since moved on and just decided save up more and to buy something new next year.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
    I always felt those 3 models are retiree/old man cars, but that's just me

The 2nd gen KB1 RL is an awesome car though, I remember when it first came out I was working at the dealer, was one of the first to drive them from the transport truck, so many gadgets (which was kind of a bad thing sometimes - a good handful of recurring electrically related intermittent failures I remember) and typical Honda made-in-Japan reliability. I always thought it would be amazing to take that thing on a continental road-trip, holds itself really well in all conditions.

My Ride
    V8s

I definitely would say go for the turbo Legacy, except IIRC you can't fully disable stability control. My parents have a turbo forester and just when you start having fun with it, stability control kicks in. Only way to fully disable is to pull the fuse, which kills ABS as well.

Thats a dealbreaker for me.

And yes, you can get B6 S4's for anywhere around 20k. My next car is very likely going to be a B6/B6.5 V8 S4. Maintenance costs will be significantly higher than a legacy turbo (the other car i'm interested in), but it's just one of those cars I feel like I have to have.

I was thinking about a 335i, but I've heard of the turbo's going on those and it costing $$$$, as well as the HPFP issues that plagued the ones that are in my price range, so that's what cut that car out for me. Aside from that its an awesome car, drove a 6mt one this summer and it was a blast.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Like a Boss

Put that $7K into a maintenance savings account and this thing is the ticket. W12!!!!

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
    Like a Boss

Put that $7K into a maintenance savings account and this thing is the ticket. W12!!!!

Except the fact that the $7k maintenance fund could be burnt through in one trip to the shop haha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast