Quantcast
Need advice - buying my first bike - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need advice - buying my first bike

My Ride
    4Runner

Default Need advice - buying my first bike

Hi guys,

I'm buying my first bike. I'm thinking of a Yamaha R6 (2001-2006). I found a nice 2005 that is located here in calgary. It has 32000km.

I was curious if there are any issues with buying a bike that has so many KMs? I know 32k on a car is brand new, but on a bike should I be concerned?

Also, are there any companies/individuals that you know of that can do bike inspections?

I'm the first of my friends getting a bike, so I don't know anyone that rides.

Thanks
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    Always wanted a celica? Or just since you got your first period?

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

What is your price range?

At 32k kms you should check to see if the valves need adjustment. As well, I would take the bike to a yamaha dealership for an inspection and service. Don't want to take any chances on a mechanical failure at speed.

Also, you could check out the honda cbr 500r. Brand new can be had for under $5k I beleive.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

somthing to consider, depending on how tall you are, I found that the R6 is one of the taller seated bikes in that category (ie you maybe tippy toeing on rest). As an entry level rider, you may want to avoid that (given that you are not blessed with height) - for most, as you get experienced this may not be an issue

My Ride
    4Runner

Originally posted by littledan
    What is your price range?

At 32k kms you should check to see if the valves need adjustment. As well, I would take the bike to a yamaha dealership for an inspection and service. Don't want to take any chances on a mechanical failure at speed.

Also, you could check out the honda cbr 500r. Brand new can be had for under $5k I beleive.
    My budget is 4-5k. I really don't want to be spending more than that as insurance would be $1300 for me (is this normal?)

As per your advice I called a yahama dealership. The quoted me $119/hr and they are going to do transmission test, compression tests and all the visuals such as chains etc.

Is it worth it to get the bike dyno'd?

I'll search for CBR 500R today. Didn't even know they made them tbh.

Originally posted by reese
    somthing to consider, depending on how tall you are, I found that the R6 is one of the taller seated bikes in that category (ie you maybe tippy toeing on rest). As an entry level rider, you may want to avoid that (given that you are not blessed with height) - for most, as you get experienced this may not be an issue
    I'm average in height (6'0). I took motorcycle school last year and really enjoyed it. I'm not a speed demon, nor will I be using this bike on the highway. It will mostly be used in downtown and during rush hour.

Are there bikes that you suggest as an entry rider?

Only reason why I want an R6 is it looks nice, and the sound is awesome.

Thanks for the advice guys

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

insurance will be way lower on the CB500, here is the naked version. perfect beginner/city bike

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ552647925

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

i might be selling my 07 Ninja 650 with mega low KM's

a lot recommend it as a first bike...its done me well even as my second bike!

I had to resit my test when I moved here as the registry wouldn't exchange my bike license from the UK, so I was classed as a new rider...my insurance was $398 for the first year and it dropped significantly 2nd year!

Others to consider would be the Suzuki SV650 and the Yamaha FZ6...

You don't NEED a 4cyl Jap Sports bike as your first bike, and it would just be wasted riding it around Downtown, kinda pointless paying all that insurance for it...

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

IF you do go for an R6, make sure its not newer then a 2005. My buddy has a 2006 (new style) and it spun a crank bearing, which means he had to drop almost $2k buying an engine out of a crashed bike, and that was the cheaper option. Apparently it happens fairly often with the 2006-2008's.

If you're not a speed demon, I wouldn't even buy a sport bike, Id buy something like Haggis88's bike. Im honestly starting to hate having a sportbike myself.... just useless for anything but in the city. Long trips are just not happening unless you're cool with your wrists, knees and ass hurting more then Richard Simmon's would on a Sunday morning.

Id buy something with a lot more of an upright riding position. Their still fun in the turns, yet their quite useful bikes, ones that get a fair bit cheaper insurance too.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    4Runner

So much great advice in here thank you so much

I watched a ton of videos regarding the Honda CBR 500F, CBR 500R and plan on researching Ninja 650.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    IF you do go for an R6, make sure its not newer then a 2005. My buddy has a 2006 (new style) and it spun a crank bearing, which means he had to drop almost $2k buying an engine out of a crashed bike, and that was the cheaper option. Apparently it happens fairly often with the 2006-2008's.

If you're not a speed demon, I wouldn't even buy a sport bike, Id buy something like Haggis88's bike. Im honestly starting to hate having a sportbike myself.... just useless for anything but in the city. Long trips are just not happening unless you're cool with your wrists, knees and ass hurting more then Richard Simmon's would on a Sunday morning.

Id buy something with a lot more of an upright riding position. Their still fun in the turns, yet their quite useful bikes, ones that get a fair bit cheaper insurance too.
    I read alot into 06-07 R6s, and I won't be getting one lol. Way too many issues. I don't want the engine to break on me while I'm riding.

It's interesting you mentioned 07 R6 as I was looking at two R6s. One was a 2005 model with 32k and another was an 07 with 8k. Thank you very much for that information.

I'm going to do more researching regarding 500F, 500R and a Ninja 650 and will keep everyone updated.

Thanks again for the help everyone

like said above. KMs don't really matter as long as the needed maintenance was done

check when the air filter, valve adjustment and sparkplugs were done usually around 20xxx km

at 32xxx km you're nearing the next service.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

03-05 Yamaha R6 doesn't recommend a valve check until 42,000kms
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    V8s

Don't buy a sport bike for downtown commuting, it's a huge waste, will be uncomfortable. It's also less manoeuvrable at slow speed than some of the other bikes mentioned, which could make a big difference for a new rider.

My Ride
    4Runner

Going to go check a new 2014 500R this weekend.

So I called my insurance company Co-operators

rates are as follows:

liability for all bikes is $318/yr which is basically one way insurance

full insurance on:

2014 CBR 500R = $1230
    2007 Yamaha R6 = $1019
    2003 Honda CBR 600RR = $1016

I'm most likely going to be buying full insurance as it covers theft, accidents, any medical bills etc.

Any thoughts on insurance? Which insurance do you guys use, and how much do you pay if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

My Ride
    Get off my lawn!

Go sit on all of the bikes you are thinking of. Its like taking a puppy home, you pick the one that picks you!

They all *feel* different, they all ride damn near the same.
    If you get one with less than 600cc, your insurance will be drastically lower, as will your fuel costs. If you are just putting around down, look into a 250 class maybe? If you can stomach the lower power:weight, you'll still be faster than most of the crap on the road and you won't notice how slow it is until you ride with a buddy with a 600 or something.

If I could go back in time, I would have gotten a dual sport. WR450 with a baja light kit or something. Ultimate hooligan bike! Easy to wheelie or hop curbs etc. AND you can stud up a DOT knobby and ride in the winter! None of that summer only BS!

Last bit of wisdom I have heard over the years... Way more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow.

Anyway, thats my take. Just spend more time riding it than you do polishing it.

Edit: I used Blue Circle insurance- really easy to deal with and I think my last year of full coverage was around $650.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Colin_R6
    Go sit on all of the bikes you are thinking of. Its like taking a puppy home, you pick the one that picks you!

They all *feel* different, they all ride damn near the same.
    *snip*
    I would definitely debate this. In what way does a ninja 650 ride the same as an R6? Or a ZX6-R for that matter? Aside from the fact you accelerate and shift gears with the same type of controls haha.

Dedicated sport bikes/super sports will definitely ride different than anything else. And definitely be a little tougher to manage at slow speeds/in traffic for a beginning rider.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Being its your first bike and mostly going to be a commuter bike I will echo what others have said don't bother with a high cc bike its just not warranted.

Look into something like a newer 250cc bike as they'll have plenty of go for inner city riding otherwise look into something closer to the 400-500cc range and you'll be plenty happy.

My first bike ever was a 250cc bike from 1980 that cost me $800 and did me just fine for learning and understanding the fundamentals of a bike.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

You should also take a look at the Ninja 500R's.

Its hilarious, the ones out now? Are literally unchanged since the very late 1980's. I used to have a 1988 EX500 (which is what they used to call them before the Ninja 500R) and its EXACTLY the same bike (exactly, down to every last part asides from the color schemes) as to what you can get today. Although the new ones may have EFI, thats the only difference I can potentially think of. Asides from Harley's (which are technological dinosaurs to begin with) the Ninja 500/Ex500 is probably the longest ever run without being updated at some point.

It was a great bike to learn on, I was 14 when I had it, but it was a lot of fun, and definitely enough power. You wont outgrow it either most likely, as its not like a CBR125 whereas you outgrow it in about a couple weeks tops.... the Ninja 500's can be used for anything really. Their engines are beyond bulletproof.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 12:11 AM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Ninja 650r would be my first bike choice for a noob. They are SUPER comfortable bikes and low enough seat height to be appealing to everyone.

I will be putting mine up for sale soon - it was FAR easier to ride than my SV1000 bike, which also makes it feel like youre sitting on the tip of a spear in comparison.

A 130 horsepower, laid out sport bike (R6) is absolutely, positively not the best option for a first bike.

Some much better choices in this thread.

Insurance is super easy- PM Masked Bandit on here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast