Quantcast
Justin Trudeau kicks senators out of Liberal caucus - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Trudeau kicks senators out of Liberal caucus

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Default Justin Trudeau kicks senators out of Liberal caucus

Well... his respect points from me just went up.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01...p-red-chamber/

Important bit:

OTTAWA – Liberal leader Justin Trudeau has kicked his 32 Liberal senators out of the Liberal caucus, appearing in a single stroke to seize the agenda on Senate reform from both the Harper government and the opposition NDP.

“There are no more Liberal senators,” he said bluntly Wednesday morning. Instead, the senators must now sit as independents in the red chamber.
    Dude is making a serious play for the next election, and I can't say I disagree with his decision. With the Conservative Senate scandal last year, and lots of promises but no action from Conservatives and the NDP, Trudeau actually followed through and removed the Senators from having a direct Liberal influence. This will be interesting to watch as we get closer to the next election
    Geek

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 12:08 AM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Kicking them out of caucas means nothing. They are still liberals, they will still attend the conventions. The only difference is they aren't invited to the caucas pow wows any more.

Anyone who says this is anything but show boating is retarded.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    GTI

I don't think I know enough about Canadian politics to understand why this is a good thing, I like Justin Trudeau but this seems like it would give the liberals less power until the election.
    Did his senators do something wrong as well? I thought it was conservative senate members?
    I'm not saying it's the wrong move, I just don't know much about this.
    I'm guessing that he doesn't like the way the senate works so won't let his members take part anymore.

My Ride
    Has AWD

maybe he can save us from Harpers plan for private healthcare

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Its kind of an all or nothing move, but I like it.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Hakkola:

In short, Conservatives and NDP have both been promising to divorce the Senate from the Commons. As it stands, Conservatives own both houses, and therefore can pass through pretty much anything they want (within reason). Trudeau just up and DID IT, so that the Liberals in Senate are now Liberal Independants, and the Liberals in the Commons are the actual Liberal caucus.

The following is my opinion only:

Yes, it is a bit show boat-y, but it also shows that Trudeau is not fucking around. He has a strong platform (something rare for a Liberal), and is working to gain the popular vote instead of just counting on it happening like Harper is for the next election. Watch Trudeau, I get the feeling that he isn't done yet. If he can keep his platform strong, I can honestly see the Liberals making the official opposition, if not the majority, next election. Canada has a history of see-sawing on which party is in power, but for once I actually feel like a politician "gets it," in terms of what the voting public wants and forming their platform around that. The Senate has been a sticky issue for years, and in one fell swoop, Trudeau a) solved it for his party and b) showed he isn't afraid to swing some big balls around.
    Geek

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Justin Trudeau doesn't have a platform. The only thing he has actually thrown his weight behind is legalizing marijuana...

Justin Trudeau is currently running on a pretty face, a famous last name, exhaustion with consecutive conservative government, and getting high.

It would be one thing if he actually said otherwise but he doesn't actually have any balls. He is a chicken shit who is running his election the same way Barb Higgins ran her mayoral campaign.

What you are voting for in the liberals is the same as always. A group of elitists from Ontario and Quebec who think they know what's best for the country and will government on their opinions.Trudeau is just the latest puppet and has no substance...

Feel free to let me know all the other bold political moves justin has made or promised.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Well, at least we know where Killramos stands in politics
    Geek

Originally posted by killramos
    Justin Trudeau doesn't have a platform. The only thing he has actually thrown his weight behind is legalizing marijuana...

Justin Trudeau is currently running on a pretty face, a famous last name, exhaustion with consecutive conservative government, and getting high.

It would be one thing if he actually said otherwise but he doesn't actually have any balls. He is a chicken shit who is running his election the same way Barb Higgins ran her mayoral campaign.

What you are voting for in the liberals is the same as always. A group of elitists from Ontario and Quebec who think they know what's best for the country and will government on their opinions.Trudeau is just the latest puppet and has no substance...

Feel free to let me know all the other bold political moves justin has made or promised.

meh, no bold promises=no promises broken.

damned if you do and damned if you don't.

honestly, who else would you want to vote for?

harper is terrible, his economic policies are shit and he's a terrible representative of the canadian ppl.

i know it shouldnt matter but id rather have a young, fresh faced PM than an old boring fart like harper.

im purely speculating, but i think the liberals will merge with the NDP and sweep the elections quite handily.

justin already has ontario and quebec locked up. he'll probs have the maritimes as well. alberta is never going to vote for him, so who cares..and BC is itching to put a liberal in.

i don't even vote but JT has this next election in the bag. he shouldnt even campaign...ppl are gonna vote for him for many reasons that dont involve his official platform

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 12:07 AM.

Holy shit. Well I guess lots of you don't remember Chretien and his massive, massive cuts to health care that still resonate to this day.

And NEP.

...and Adscam.

They're ALL POS.

Originally posted by suntan
    Holy shit. Well I guess lots of you don't remember Chretien and his massive, massive cuts to health care that still resonate to this day.

And NEP.
    not sure i follow...JC=JT??

Originally posted by faiz999

not sure i follow...JC=JT??
    The Cons are more corrupt and spend more than the Libs

Also, if you understand the Westminster form of parliament, and since you don't, I will explain to you that Canadians vote for a party, not a Prime Minister.
    Last edited by suntan; 01-29-2014 at 03:30 PM.

A group of elitists from Ontario and Quebec who think they know what's best for the country and will government on their opinions.
    Yeah because I see the Conservatives are really helping the "West" out since they got in power? Hmmm no they don't seem to be oh wait... Ontario and Quebec pretty much determine who wins due to population. Yeah the Conservatives are just as much a Ontario/Quebec party as any other party. Anyone who thinks different is living in fantasie land.

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Canadian politics are a rather sad state of affairs. However, they make for good evening news.

Originally posted by faiz999

harper is terrible, his economic policies are shit

Please elaborate, I would like to know which ones you are referring to. If you are going to make bold claims, you should back them up.

Originally posted by suntan
    The Cons are more corrupt and spend more than the Libs
    Corruption in politics I can't believe it! Unfortunately you have to take the good with the bad. It's like choosing a cell phone provider, you pick the one that is going to use the most lube when they take you from behind for all you are worth. Let us not forget the Liberal sponsorship scandal now.
    Last edited by KRyn; 01-29-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Yeah because I see the Conservatives are really helping the "West" out since they got in power? Hmmm no they don't seem to be oh wait... Ontario and Quebec pretty much determine who wins due to population. Yeah the Conservatives are just as much a Ontario/Quebec party as any other party. Anyone who thinks different is living in fantasie land.
    Yep.

Cater to Quebec and Ontario at the expense of the other provinces.

That will never change unless the west separates.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

This isn't the tonight show. I could give a flying rats ass if your prime minister is likeable so long as the country is being run well.

There are plenty of things that I am happy with the conservative governments for:
    -GST reduction
    -Budget balancing
    -Long Gun Registry repeal
    -top of G7 in economic recovery
    -improvement to Canadian self defence laws
    -standing up against our weak justice system
    -Standing up to the dictator dominated UN

Short list of things , people always jump on this idea that Harper is an oil or corporate crony. That he is controlled by interests in china. All claims that are unsubstantiated and unprovable.

Also you have got to be joking if you think that taxing weed is the solution to our economy. I'm not against it and neither are the majority of the Conservative party. I would even put money on a bet that marijuana is decriminalized before the next election (something the cons were working on before Trudeau ever came up with the idea btw).

Stephen Harper has an economics background and does in fact has legitimate policies on economic issues.

Voting for Trudeau is no different than Ignatieff or Dion. Same policy makers.

If you really want to elect a front man for the country well maybe you should just push for Justin Bieber for prime minister. You will end up with just as much substance as the other justin. If only 14 year olds could vote...

fact.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast