Quantcast
Parking Issues in Condo - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Parking Issues in Condo

My Ride
    Red Cars

Default Parking Issues in Condo

Hey everyone, I'm hoping someone might have advice on what to do in this situation.

My wife and I recently moved into a condo apartment. The purchase agreement indicates 1 assigned parking stall and 1 leased parking stall (so we have 2 stalls side by side). The condo plan is attached.

Here's our issue:

We have 1 minivan and 1 honda fit. The honda fit can go in and out major without issues. Our minivan can only get out if there is no one beside it (i.e. I need to move the honda fit first).

The reason why it's so tight is the condo board decided to place a bike rack near the entrance path of one of the spots (see picture). They put the bike racks there before we moved in and it's considered a "common area".

We've asked the Board to move the bike rack to a different location but since there is a considerable lack of space in the garage they don't have another spot available. The Board did a walk around and they said it "appears to be adequate" space and they will not move the bike racks at this time.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by REdOX; 01-30-2014 at 02:29 PM.
    I AM...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Sounds like youre out of luck.

If you/board cant provide the board with another location for the bike rack, they run the risk of inconveniencing MANY occupants in removing the rack altogether - while just pleasing one occupant in the process.... welcome to the world of politics.

I know because I served on a board for 6 years....

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Back the car into PK-15 and the van into PK-16
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Red Cars

The way I see it (of course I'm speaking only from my point of view) is that our condo purchase agreement states 2 usable stalls. If one of the stalls is not usable then I can go back to the seller?

I served on a board as well (actually was president of one). And I know it's all political.... which sucks.

We did suggest another common area to move the bike racks to (bottom left corner) but then the Board indicated PK-19 is parking there because it's hard for them to park their truck in their assigned stall.

There's also a safety factor... if I accidentally hit the bikes because it's so tight I am liable.... but there was disregard.

One of the drawbacks of living in a condo...

I AM...

I hate all condo boards and those who serve on them. They make Stalin look all soft and warm.

Unless you can come up with a better solution, the condo board, like all boards, normally will go with what is easier and established. As the board now says your current space is perfectly fine, they should not object to swapping their parking stall with your parking stall. Or does this call a bluff for what it is? I am willing to bet the condo board has some pretty sweet assigned parking spots.

Can the bike rake go in beside PK18, it is a Common Area? What about swapping your PK15 for the bike rack space? My condo had the bike racks over along side the fenced storage, can you find a better place than the current place?

See if you can find a parking plan dated earlier than your move in date, if the bike rack is in a different location on this earlier plan you might have a better case for getting it returned to the original location.

Do you really need a van for you and your wife? Perhaps the universe is telling you to downsize a vehicle?

The condo should be using his type of rack system: https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/ge...experts/40484/
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 01-30-2014 at 02:55 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Both stalls are 100% useable.

My Ride
    Red Cars

Originally posted by FraserB
    Back the car into PK-15 and the van into PK-16
    That's a good point. We tried that... every combination actually and they all were difficult to maneuver. We even tried backing into the stalls
    I AM...

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Perhaps learn to back the vehicles in? As well as park the Fit closest to the wall (PK-15 as FraserB indicated)? It seems quite doable backing in IMO.

EDIT: Nevermind...looks like you answered just a split second before my post.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by REdOX

We did suggest another common area to move the bike racks to (bottom left corner) but then the Board indicated PK-19 is parking there because it's hard for them to park their truck in their assigned stall.

Can they move it into the PK-19 stall then? Maybe tuck it in close to the next stall so the guy can still get his truck out?
    Vettel's #1

I Googled around a bit:

I'd consult with a lawyer, you might have a claim for something called a "nuisance claim" which means the bike rake is diminishing the value of your parking spot. They could be required by a court to move the bike rack to a more suitable location. A letter from a lawyer might move the condo board in the right direction.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    I Googled around a bit:

I'd consult with a lawyer, you might have a claim for something called a "nuisance claim" which means the bike rake is diminishing the value of your parking spot. They could be required by a court to move the bike rack to a more suitable location. A letter from a lawyer might move the condo board in the right direction.
    Not really, both stalls are 100% useable and there is ample room to get a Fit out of PK-15

OP knew full well about the clearances involved when he purchased the condo and knew the bike rack was there. If it was such an issue, this would have been addressed earlier.
    Last edited by FraserB; 01-30-2014 at 03:10 PM.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Not really, both stalls are 100% useable and there is ample room to get a Fit out of PK-15

Was the rack placed there after you moved in or was it there before.
    You are pro to be able to judge the ease of use without seeing a picture, or do you have more info than what was in the first post?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by GTS4tw

You are pro to be able to judge the ease of use without seeing a picture, or do you have more info than what was in the first post?
    There are enough measurements in the picture to be able to gauge the distances available. And I know the dimensions of a Honda Fit.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Which stall is leased and which is assigned? If PK15 is assigned then you might have a better case, since it is the one stall you basically own. If PK15 is the one you lease, then the case could be made to say you don't HAVE to lease it if you don't want.

And I agree with Fraser... this is the sort of thing that could have been established prior to purchase, so I don't think there is any case to be made for claiming an issue at this point in an effort to force them to move the rack.

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

Give up your drivers license as you probably are a shitty driver on the roads as well if you can park there.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

There are enough measurements in the picture to be able to gauge the distances available. And I know the dimensions of a Honda Fit.
    I don't think you would be necessarily "happy" with just being able to fit your vehicle in your parking spot, doesn't allow for much loading unloading, vacuuming, etc.

That said, if the rack was there before he moved in I agree with you 100% that he should have looked at it then.

My Ride
    Red Cars

Here's more info...

Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Can they move it into the PK-19 stall then? Maybe tuck it in close to the next stall so the guy can still get his truck out?
    We tried that route too but they are claiming PK-20 has a difficult time parallel parking... which is why PK-19 is parking more into the common area. Fair? Not IMHO.

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    I Googled around a bit:

I might try that. Where is a "nuisance claim" regulated? I wonder if that may apply to private property such as a condo?

Originally posted by FrasierB

OP knew full well about the clearances involved when he purchased the condo and knew the bike rack was there. If it was such an issue, this would have been addressed earlier.
    Not correct, the bikes were not there when we viewed the parking stalls before purchase. The bike racks were actually IN the stall. The Realtor & seller told us the Board would remove them before we moved in. The Board moved them to where they are now without us knowing and prior to us moving in.
    I AM...

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Park the vehicle with the best turning radius in PK-15 ( assume the Fit) and hope for the best.

Ask the condo board to somehow get rid of the 6x7 rack and get a long one that runs along the whole wall, thats kind of out of the question im sure though.
    Last edited by n1zm0; 01-30-2014 at 03:53 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

Seems like kind of a dumb place to put a bike rack..
    any reason they didn't use that perfectly shaped
    square near the center/top "common property?"

My Ride
    AW10

Are the bike racks acctually in use?

One can make a claim that there is no/not enough bike traffic to warrant having one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast