Quantcast
opinions on audi 2.7t??? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: opinions on audi 2.7t???

My Ride
    93 integra

Default opinions on audi 2.7t???

Getting sick of walking everywhere even though im living downtown and have the chance to pick up a very well maintained a6 with the 2.7tt.

It's got a couple little things that need attention but nothing engine wise.

Anyone know how these are? Seem to be able to get a decent amount of power out of them.

I have driven this particular car a few times and it felt solid and drove nice and straight.

Should I head for the hills or take a chance on this german beast?

My Ride
    Indian Scout

I had a B5 S4 with the same 2.7 TT engine and it was a decent car during the 4 years I owned it. Didn't have many issues but the electrical system was finicky. Make sure you check boost compression on the turbos and have a mechanical inspection completed before purchasing.

I'd recommend George at Tunedub. He always did terrific work at very reasonable prices.

The quattro AWD system combined with winter tires was
    deadly on snow and ice.

My Ride
    93 integra

i've driven it in the middle of a snow storm and that's pretty much the only reason i want it. It was the most incredible feeling driving it in the snow. And to be quite honest it's definitely not a slow car.

thanks for the recommendation, I'm definitely looking forward to modding a german car again.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

They are Lovely engines, until you have to pay for maintenance on them, especially once they get higher mileage on them.

Turbo service is an engine out procedure in the b5s4 and is quoted at 17 hours. Not sure if it's the same for the a6.

For the year and a bit I owned my b5s4, I absolutely loved the car. You prettymuch can't beat audi's quattro system either.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    93 integra

so what you're saying is start putting away a bit of a slush fund for eventual repairs?? I was figuring I'd take it slow and only do any engine mods when and if certain things failed and the engine needed to be out anyways.

How do they respond to mods though? And at what point do drive train parts start straining to keep up? car is roughly 300hp at the crank is it not?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

250hp in stock form. Tune will bring it to 300. Im on my phone, so hate typing, but stay far away. Especially if its attached to a tiptronic.

8 years of ownership. Drove less than 80k kms (150k on the odo). Almost $5g in engine repairs alone, and I did a lot of the work myself.

- 2x a/c compressors
    - alternator
    - torque converter failure rate of 100% (on allroads anyways)
    - leaking fuel injectors (even with new seals)
    - camshaft leaks (replaced twice)
    - main front seal leaks
    - oil pan cracked (didnt hit anything, cracked on its own)
    - turbo inlet oil seals

The last one was the final straw for me. To get to the turbos, you have to remove the entire engine. Hell to do damn near anything on the engine you have to remove the front clip.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    93 integra

nope it's a 6spd. Also the guy im buying from is a close friend who just has too many cars. He doesn't like it because it's not mint. To me it's close enough. Getting a killer deal with lot's of new parts, such as breaks and some suspension bits.

probably just going to take my chances and just buy a beater on the side in case it decides to go all fucky on me haha.

any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

EM1FTW is offline I'm a fag because only fags love Hondas
    My Ride
    EM1 yo!

Great cars when they work.
    The engine is excellent, nothing is retarded expensive until it needs turbos, like mentioned above it is an engine out job. Removing the front clip however is very easy, 15 min tops.
    Find out if the front control arms have been done!
    Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Kinda like this morning when I wanted to tell my GF to pass the sugar and it came out "You fucking bitch, you've ruined my life."

My Ride
    93 integra

realistically how much work would it be to just change the stock turbos to something a bit more efficient and power producing? I'm getting this car at such a steal i know im going to jump right in.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I used to have the 4.2. Despite having 300hp, it was no quicker. But basically the same car otherwise. I loved my Audi. Quattro is amazing. Very classy looking car with an interior that is hard to beat.

I say do it if the price is decent and the k's aren't too high. The engine-out turbo replacement is a real scary thing, so as mentioned - focus on those. Otherwise, the engine itself is solid and makes good power - especially with a manual. Repairs are noticeably and sometimes far higher priced than average.

These cars respond amazing to tuning. APR claims their chip alone provides 307hp and 318 with 93 octane. But the real kicker is that it supposedly goes to 366 and 382 torque respectively. That's well over 100ft/lb extra. I'd run on the stock turbos until they fail if you're going to go through that much work to replace them anyway. Do you really need more power than that?

Not sure how accurate APR's claims are, but people forumers say their cars wake up entirely with the tune alone.

My Ride
    EM1 yo!

Look into Frankenturbo http://www.frankenturbo.com/new/F21BT.html
    The parts are cheap, labor is what kills it. If you have a weekend to spare, some mechanic friends and beer, you're laughing. Turns the car into a monster.

And as mentioned above an APR chip tune is a GREAT place to start! Wont find better gains for the money while keeping OEM drivability and reliability.

Kinda like this morning when I wanted to tell my GF to pass the sugar and it came out "You fucking bitch, you've ruined my life."

My Ride
    93 integra

im getting waaayyyy too excited for this. This will be my first turbo car. And it's a twin. It will need a bit of TLC cosmetic wise but nothing major.

in any case seeing the response as being mostly positive other than maintenance cost I feel comfortable going forward with this.

Going to be different going from an aggressively cam'ed gti to a twin turbo audi.

Where in Calgary sells the APR chip and tune? I'm assuming concept1 would handle things like this? Any other shops other than the above mentioned?

My Ride
    EM1 yo!

Concept 1 is the only APR dealer in calgary. They offer trial chips. You get 6 hours of driving time for free to make sure you like it. You'll go back the next day for the whole package though

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Wait for a sale and keep checking the APR site. Not sure how often they have them, but at least once a year if not more. Save 2-300 or something....

My Ride
    EM1 yo!

They have a spring, summer, fall and winter sale. So 4 times a year haha

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Not sure if it'll fit an a6, but 034 has an absolutely fucking boss single turbo conversion kit out for b5s4's. It ain't cheap (audi tax) but you'll never have to worry about a turbo failing again, because it's super easy to access if it happens to die for some reason after the swap.

I think the last time I looked, cam chain tensioners were about $600each as well, but I don't believe those are a common failure point. (just to point out some of the costs you might incur for maintenance. That's usually worst case scenario though, these cars are fairly reliable)

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

I had a B5 S4 for several years with absolutely zero problems. 130,XXX KM on chipped turbos with no problems outside routine or (very cheap) preventative maintenance. I drove it year round and it was my daily work/school commuter.

The best part about those motors by far is the torque. The chip doesn't add much HP (57) but it adds 108 ft/lb of torque. No noticeable turbo lag and a flat torque curve until around 5,000 RPM. You can drive the thing in any gear by just curling your toes on the accelerator. It's a fast car in Calgary especially - faster than my V8 S4 for sure (when chipped).

Some tips:

- Immediately get the APR chip for 307Hp/366tq
    - Never get on the boost without OIL temp. (not to be confused with coolant temp)
    - Turbo time the car
    - I believe Mobil 0W40 is the oil you want to use
    - Get a silicone throttle body boot (common failure point and dirt cheap)
    - Get a brass F-Hose (only on some earlier models) as that is dirt cheap and also a common failure point
    - Upgrade your dirverter valves if they are the same as the S4's (also very cheap and common failure point)

Other than that you don't have much to worry about if the car has been taken care of. An A6 is much less likely to have been thrashed as the S4. A lot of S4's were abused, and thus had high turbo failure rates. The ones that were taken care of fared much better. There were guys on the forums with over 250,000KM on chipped turbos with zero issues, so don't go in thinking it's a guaranteed failure.

George @ Tune Dub is your one stop shop should anything go wrong.

My Ride
    2001.5 Audi S4

I've had my B5S4 for about 4 years now and I love it. Look at the tunes from Epic Tuning Group (JFonz previously). Mine has held up great. PM me cause I might have other solutions for you on that front
    --
    Rod

Driving
    2001.5 Audi S4 - Santorin Blue STAGE II

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Mitsu is on the money. Definitely use Mobil 1 0W-40

I owned a 2001 A6 2.7T 6-Speed Manual. It was one of the best cars I ever owned. The tiptronic isn't worth owning IMO. The a6 is a great choice over a B5 S4 because:

- WAY more interior space
    - Better rear suspension
    - Less likely to have been abused
    - Turbo oil feed lines aren't as prone to oil coking and therefore turbo failure
    - only weighs ~150lbs more than an S4 (for 6MT a6)

For the A6, you really want to find one with the sport package. The seats are the same as a B5 S4 and the suspension is way better than the standard issue struts/springs and ASB's.

These are the packages you could get with the 2.7T:

Premium Package: Auto dimming inside and outside rearview mirrors; Multi-function steering wheel with Audio and Telephone controls; Xenon high intensity discharge headlights with automatic self-leveling
    Cold Weather Package: Front and rear heated seats; Expandable ski sack

Guidance Package: Audi Navigation System; Rear Parktronic acoustic parking system
    Preferred Luxury Package: Sunroof; Leather seat upholstery; HomeLink 3-channel remote transmitter located in driver's sunvisor; 3-position memory for driver and passenger seat and outer mirrors

Cold Weather Package: Front and rear heated seats; Expandable ski sack

Sport Package: 16-inch 6-spoke alloy wheel with 215/55 16 performance tires; Sport front seats; Sport suspension (Body lowered 20mm; spring rate 30% stiffer; shock absorber 40% more compression damping; increased diameter stabilizer bar)
    6-disc trunk mounted CD changer
    Motorola hands free cellular telephone
    200 Watt Bose premium sound system with subwoofer
    Rear side airbags
    Power rear window sunshade with manual rear side window sunshades

All "window sticker" info is available here:

http://www.audiworld.com/model/

This was my old one:

Last edited by zipdoa; 01-31-2014 at 02:06 PM.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by ekguy
    realistically how much work would it be to just change the stock turbos to something a bit more efficient and power producing? I'm getting this car at such a steal i know im going to jump right in.
    \

~$5k installed by a shop if you make the correct decision to do RS4 KO4 turbos and associated upgrades. But then you have a 400WHP super-sedan.
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast