Quantcast
Inglewood residents still miffed - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Inglewood residents still miffed

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Willie Bobo

So while they were forced by the CTA to stop some of the super loud operations at night, other loud operations that they weren't forced to halt are still continuing. Am I correct Go4Long?
    You could also say they stopped the loud operations altogether, and are only continuing with the quiet operations. Am I correct Go4Long?

Originally posted by Mibz
    I used to live in the condos directly beside Somerset train station. Every now and then a freight train would go by in the middle of night and scare the shit out of me. I never got used to it, but it's not like it was negatively impacting my life outside of the 30 seconds I was awake. I'm not saying it's great and everybody should try it. I'm saying that it's really not a big deal being woken up in the middle of the night. Shit, my cats wake me up more often than trains ever did.
    I'm fairly certain there's more to their complaint than just trains passing by. That's why I'm curious as to what else goes on there at night, Go4Long.

Originally posted by Mibz
    I have no idea where the "battered women and low income schmucks" comment comes into play here. Please explain it.
    It's been a general theme throughout this thread, but this is a good example.

Originally posted by rage2
    The area where people are complaining are the ones that aren't wealthy enough to live in Inglewood, but want to be hip and live there. So they buy places RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE TRAIN YARD because it's cheap. I mean, there's a low income housing complex right beside the complainers homes that was built in '09:

http://www.horizonhousing.ab.ca/apar...bissett-place/

It's low income and cheap properties for a reason there.
    (In fairness the women's facility hasn't come up, but it is very close to the Alyth yard, too.)
    Last edited by Willie Bobo; 02-04-2014 at 08:22 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I think the last thing battered women worry about is train noise. Unless they were battered by a train.

The reason low income housing was brought up is because undesirable areas are cheap, and hence affordable to low income families. If the rail yard and all undesirable are removed, those condos would be unaffordable. So by removing the rail yard, you're effectively telling low income schmucks fuck you.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

I think the last thing battered women worry about is train noise. Unless they were battered by a train.

The reason low income housing was brought up is because undesirable areas are cheap, and hence affordable to low income families.
    And cheap for a reason, like being near a train yard. What did people expect when they moved in? It's not a 9-5 industry ffs

Hyuck, that's funny.

The reason low income housing was brought up is because undesirable areas are cheap, and hence affordable to low income families. If the rail yard and all undesirable are removed, those condos would be unaffordable. So by removing the rail yard, you're effectively telling low income schmucks fuck you.
    Um okay, sweet backwards logic spin there.

Anyway, I'm done for now. I'll let you guys continue on with the witch hunt on people who speak out in the media against the late night noise at Alyth.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Oh Willie you clearly have an axe to grind and are uninterested in the FACTS of the situation. You vote NDP unconditionally, every time, don't you?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Um okay, sweet backwards logic spin there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentrification
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Oh Willie you clearly have an axe to grind and are uninterested in the FACTS of the situation. You vote NDP unconditionally, every time, don't you?

Ah yes, stating an opposing viewpoint means I have an axe to grind...

But instead of debating any points of what I've typed, you've resorted to stereotyping. I'm surprised you didn't call me a commie, but maybe that'll be in your next witty reply!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 09:51 AM.

They should hold all the trains until 6am then run them in one at a time. I'm sure that won't disrupt the morning commute at all.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

other loud operations that they weren't forced to halt are still continuing. Am I correct Go4Long?
    Railroading isn't exactly a quiet business...so...yes?

Aren't you going to tell me all about how the minivan driving infill living conflict of interest having lady that the article is quoting was actually there before the trains?

Originally posted by blitz

You could also say they stopped the loud operations altogether, and are only continuing with the quiet operations. Am I correct Go4Long?

Originally posted by Nitro5
    They should hold all the trains until 6am then run them in one at a time. I'm sure that won't disrupt the morning commute at all.
    I love it....40 trains a day, all headlight to SBU...no problem.

But instead of debating any points of what I've typed, you've resorted to stereotyping. I'm surprised you didn't call me a commie, but maybe that'll be in your next witty reply!
    I wouldn't call you a Commie...that seems hurtful.

But I would assume that you voted Nenshi...because you talked about riding a bike.
    Last edited by Go4Long; 02-04-2014 at 10:05 PM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

.... But instead of debating any points of what I've typed....
    Show me a valid one, I haven't seen anything worth "debate" just like you haven't seen a forest for the trees.

Witty enough?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    your mom

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I have an Arash business plan

1. Buy house by airport... Because cheap, because airport
    2. Complain about airport
    3. Get sympathy from Internet (not beyond)... Poor people, battered women, single moms, homeless (maybe not homeless). Rich people have forsaken thee
    4. Airport to shut down to accommodate poor people
    5. House goes up in price, sell to rich people, go move near the train station
    Bitch, please.

Arash's plan is hardly this. It's the illuminati who's keeping the train there so when the NWO takes over, they have a centralized location to round up the 99% and send them to their FEMA camps for internment and forced labour while the Freemasons loot everything for their lizard king overlord.

Originally posted by Arash
    Im not an idiot...

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Originally posted by busdepot

Bitch, please.

Arash's plan is hardly this. It's the illuminati who's keeping the train there so when the NWO takes over, they have a centralized location to round up the 99% and send them to their FEMA camps for internment and forced labour while the Freemasons loot everything for their lizard king overlord.

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Can't believe the news outlets are giving this air time.

Bought next to the railway yard and tracks (or airport or freeway or future freeway)?

Tough sh*t! Learn from it and figure it out next time: If you don't do your research and get a "steal of a buy", there's a reason for the price.

Interesting comment by whomever above (Rage?) about their property values going up substantially ... if the railway moves their yard .... and tracks. Maybe that is part of the reason some are "complaining"?

It is just selfishness gone wild ... I'm sick of hearing of it ... go away already.

R
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by reijo
    Interesting comment by whomever above (Rage?) about their property values going up substantially ... if the railway moves their yard .... and tracks. Maybe that is part of the reason some are "complaining"?
    My theory is that the BRZ revitalization plans have stalled (partly due to the flood, partly due to city investment in other areas, but some upscale businesses have moved on prior anyways), and this is a good excuse to round up some Inglewood activists to put pressure on making CP's life hell, and forcing them to actually move more work, or completely move out of Alyth. That rail yard is the biggest reason why the area is worth 50% less than the other side of Blackfoot.

Honestly, it's genius, because it's a domino effect after that if they're able to get rid of CP. Driving that entire area's property values up would slowly take care of the other "unwanted" businesses as property taxes would skyrocket. That's pretty much what happened to the old businesses there, like that used truck dealer right on 9th Ave.

edit - reference: http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald...4-72f090b3782f

If you're bored like I was last night, google up Inglewood Calgary revitalization, or Inglewood Calgary gentrification, and you'll be able to find news stories from the last decade that puts a timeline on how Inglewood shifted from a low income area to a yuppie/hipster high property value area, and how that's been stalled for the last 2 years.

Originally posted by msommers
    Tough titty. Those complainers knew what they were getting into when they bought there. Hope CP tells them to take a hike
    +1

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Missed this one. You'll recognize the organizer Lara Murphy as the same "activist" in the other news articles. It's funny WHY the "cleanup" took so long, I'll bold it in the article.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/In...111/story.html

An Inglewood street corner became a rallying point Friday for area residents furious over the recent derailment of Canadian Pacific cars that shut down the community and raised big concerns about railway safety.

As the protest on the corner of 19th Avenue and 15th Street S.E. gained steam, the sounds of chants, noise makers and blaring car horns were deafening.

The clamour could easily be heard near the barricades where crews had blocked access to the site of the derailment, which was cleared by 8:20 p.m. Friday, according to the Calgary Fire Department.

“Calgarians don’t know what’s travelling through their backyards,” said Lara Murphy, who helped organize the demonstration of about 70 residents. “And there needs to be a call out for better federal regulations to monitor the transportation of hazardous goods and materials through cities and our country.”

Community anger over the derailment — the second in Calgary since June — even brought children out to the Inglewood protest.

“I hate poisonous stuff,” said 11-year-old Jackson Bray, who was away from his mom for hours when traffic was locked down. Karen Bray tried several routes to get home after work, but failed each time, checking in with Jackson and neighbours to make sure everyone was safe.

“It seems like no one knew what was going on,” Bray said. “You’d think that when they’re transporting those dangerous chemicals through the inner city that they would have safeguards in place in case of situations like these, and everyone would know exactly what you were supposed to do. What do you do when you can’t get to your loved ones?”

Paradoxically, Calgary fire Chief Bruce Burrell said the cleanup of the derailment had taken so long because of safety features built into the pressurized rail cars, which were carrying natural gasoline — an explosive and flammable petroleum product.

“When they roll on their side, all kinds of safeties cut in,” Burrell said. “We can’t overcome them easily; it’s taking a lot longer than we anticipated.”

Despite natural gasoline’s volatility, Burrell said it can be safely transported in regular, unpressurized tankers.

However, a continental shortage of tankers — due mainly to large volumes of petroleum products moving by rail — has prompted railways to use pressurized vessels as a substitute.

The pressurized cars definitely made the cleanup job more complex and costly than if the natural gasoline had been in regular tankers, Burrell said.

When a normal, single-walled tanker derails, Burrell said fire crews will ordinarily pierce the hull and use a hose to pump out the contents.

However, the pressurized tankers are double-walled and contain shut-off valves that remain closed until the cars are turned upright.

Fire crews had been pumping 920,000 litres of the natural gasoline out of the cars as they were being righted and transferring it to container cars on a secondary parallel track.

Officials haven’t determined how much the cleanup will cost, but Burrell added the city will “in all likelihood” be billing CP.

“Our normal on-scene time for an incident like this should probably be no more than eight to 10 hours. We’re here ... pretty close to 2˝, three days now,” he said.

Burrell predicted the increased used of pressurized cars — and the resulting complications — will be fodder for discussion between municipalities and the railway industry.

“I think there’s going to be some discussions that we’re going to have in the future with the mayor, with the Federation of Canadian Municipalities and with some others about the fact that transporting products in a safer car is a good idea from the transportation mechanism, but it creates emergency response problems,” Burrell said.

Already, the incident has residents and Mayor Naheed Nenshi raising concerns about the safety of hazardous goods hauled through populous urban communities.

Nenshi was joined Friday by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, which called on the federal government to take action on rail safety.

Nenshi and the FCM said emergency crews didn’t have timely access to critical information about the train’s load.

Ald. Gian-Carlo Carra, who attended Friday’s protest, said he backed the “extremely legitimate outrage and fear” that his constituents raised over the incident that led to the evacuation of 12 businesses and 142 homes. He said federal railway legislation is outdated and must be over overhauled to provide municipalities with transparent reports of the goods moving through their communities.

Burrell acknowledged it took some time to determine the derailed cars contained natural gasoline — but he said number-coded decals on the tankers gave firefighters enough information to dictate their response and commence an evacuation.

“Did everybody know what the product was? No, but we knew it fit a broad classification for transportation purposes and we knew what the general characteristics of the product were,” Burrell said.

Emergency crews follow up with railway companies to get manifests of what a train is carrying and then try to contact the shippers for more information.

It can take more time outside of business hours, Burrell said, but he stressed crews aren’t going in blind.

“We have immediate information, it’s the detailed information that takes maybe an hour, sometimes an hour and 20 minutes or so to get our hands on,” he said.

Wednesday’s incident comes just months after six Canadian Pacific cars derailed while crossing the sagging Bonnybrook bridge over the Bow River during the week of the flood crisis. Crews worked quickly and carefully to remove the cars carrying flammable petroleum products, which teetered precariously over the Bow River.

Burrell said he personally believes shipping regulated goods by rail is safe, but added he understands why residents are concerned.

“I get it. If train cars went off the rails in close proximity to my house, I’d be upset as well and I’d want some answers,” he said.
    Her quotes from the Metro article posted earlier:
    Lara Murphy, who has been working with a group of area residents for the past three and a half years to cut down on nighttime noise at the facility, said she was sad to hear about the local job losses but relieved at the newfound overnight peace.

“The noise is like an airplane in your back yard,” she said. “I have quadruple-paned glass on my bedroom window. We sleep with earplugs.”

My Ride
    Audi

Go4Long can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's (or was) one of the smaller hump yards at CP. They've wanted to move that yard for a long time as it can't grow. As I recall, one of the ideas was to build a new hump yard just east of Med Hat around Dunmore. It's closer to where the lines split north to Calgary / south to Lethbridge.

Given that, I woldn't be surprised if part of their strategy is fighting to move to piss off the city / government enough so that they can have government pay for part of the move.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

If that's true, I'm going to buy as many rental properties as allowed over there, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast