Quantcast
Inglewood residents still miffed - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Inglewood residents still miffed

Originally posted by Willie Bobo

PEOPLE WERE THERE BEFORE THE YARD. WHO CARES WHEN THEY MOVED IN. How much simpler could this be. They didn't put the yard there, CP did. These same residents didn't ask CP to closed down other facilities and bring all this additional work to their community. CP did. You can make CP out to be the victim, but there was a time when corporate/community responsibility was more important than profits.

Not to be rude myself, but why don't you answer the questions I've posed in this thread and enlighten me on the ways of CP? [/B]
    U MAD? Buy a house next to a rail yard and then get pissed when trains make noise?

Inglewood and the hipster idiots down there can get bent. Trains where there first. They should stop complaining. Next thing you know Falcon Ridge is going to demand we move the airport because well all those planes flying overhead.

Originally posted by rage2

While Inglewood is older than Alyth yard, the homes that are close to the noise weren't built until much later when Inglewood (and Calgary) grew.

There's an affordable housing complex there that's also complaining about noise. That complex was built in 2009, and is affordable housing for a reason.
    Right, and there's really old (by Calgary standards) houses a few hundred meters away on 9th Avenue.

The issue is the increasing amount of noise coming from the yard at night. Something that wasn't an issue before CP closed other facilities and brought the work here.

My Ride
    Axis powers

No they weren't. See my post above.
    He must be a NIMBY living in the area

No they weren't. See my post above.
    Yes they were. See my post above.

Originally posted by adam c

He must be a NIMBY living in the area
    I've already stated that I have zero ties to this area.

My Ride
    Nothing

The residents should be told to go eat a dick.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

I'm pretty sure people *moved into* that neighborhood *because* of the rail at the time.

If you want my conspiracy theory, they are upgrading the railcars to possibly hold the much more dangerous Compressed Natural Gas.

Which Japan has been literally dying to get (You don't want to know how much Japan needs in oil equivalents to offset their loss of nuclear electrical generation)

Where are they getting all the metal from for the upgraded railcars? Some say that they are dismantling the Natural Gas reserve tanks - as its expected there will no longer be such thing as "excess" for several generations, 10x more so if California does not have enough water to generate electricity for their cities this summer.

Beware the price of natural gas, this may be a harbringer of "OMG" energy pricing.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Originally posted by AndyL
    I dunno... Just shifting the problem - I think transport canada should tell inglewood to STFU.

That said - betcha conklin's now bitching about all the noise Oh, wait - no that's CN - Most of what was going on by the Roadkill has moved out there now.

So if CN can move outside the city - why can't CP? For some reason it doesn't make sense that heavy industry chooses to exist in a densely populated area - whether they're allowed by transport canada or not...
    I'll take a stab at that one...CN Calgary is a terminating terminal, their main line runs through the middle of Edmonton. So to move the intermodal yard out of Foothills industrial was small potatoes. Ask them to move Walker in Edmonton and you'll be closer to a reasonable comparison.

The issue is the increasing amount of noise coming from the yard at night. Something that wasn't an issue before CP closed other facilities and brought the work here.
    *TAP TAP TAP* This thing on? Stop posting completely inaccurate information...I don't know how many different ways I can word this...but I'll try one more...

18 months ago Alyth had a fully functioning hump yard with the retarders running 24/7 (that howling sound that you used to hear down by the bird sanctuary and all the way through Inglewood was the retarders slowing the cars down). That's closed (most of the tracks from the hump yard have been completely removed actually).

18 months ago Alyth had a fully functioning heavy mechanical shop where they performed load testing 24/7. That's closed.

18 months ago the car count in Alyth was somewhere in the neighborhood of TRIPLE what it is today.

The reality is that no matter how much work is moved away from Calgary people are going to complain, and try to sell it to the media that noise is increasing even when the numbers clearly show the opposite.

I don't think you're convincing anyone of that.
    Last edited by Go4Long; 02-03-2014 at 05:51 AM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Wah wah wah. I'm going to move next to a hospital and complain about sirens. Or near the airport and complain about planes. I'm the only one that matters anyway, right?

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I don't believe you. I took a look through your previous posts, and I'm pretty sure you live in the area.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Right, and there's really old (by Calgary standards) houses a few hundred meters away on 9th Avenue.

It would appear that you're starting to pick straws here and even a home built in the twenties or teens might still be younger than the Alyth yards. Never the less, the people living in these homes certainly are not the original residents f those homes and as such, will have been very much aware of the yard being there when they moved in.

Willie Bobo - you need to get back in bed with your fellow twitter campaign folks, there you'll get the warm fuzzies you're looking for.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

can you prove this?

I would like to see decibel readings taken from a static location near and in the Alyith yard, on 26 points throughout the calendar year, and compared over the last 10 years.

If you can provide this data, or anything similar, I would be happy to read it. Then you might have a gripe.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride

spikers, of course he can't prove it. They #shameonyoucprail don't even understand what CP was ordered to do, or the fact that they're in compliance with the order. They chose to interpret the order as "CP will stop all operations at night", when it said nothing of the sort. CP even told them that "switching operations will continue 24/7 just as they always have", but the residents decided to ignore that, and are now all up in arms because they have to live with it.

I saw on the news that one lady who's giving the interview holding the big book. Nothing scarier than a stay-at-home-mom on a mission with nothing else to do...

Go4Long, what exactly is load testing? Is it part of normal switching operations?

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

No, load testing is part of the locomotive service...basically means running up the locomotive to look for faults.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride

So, is there any merit to all these complaints? Is there load testing going on? Or is there just switching operations?

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

I moved to Canada, but I hate the cold and snow.

I burned my lip on my hot coffee

I bought a house beside a train yard, but hate the noise of trains

I don't know how to drive stick, but bought a manual car

Residents in the area should STFU or GTFO. Ignorance, stupidity, lack of common sense, and complete selfishness - words that come to mind when i hear complaints like this. I really wish I had a baseball bat and could go around and smack the stupid out of these entitled NIMBY retards.

Beyond's Most Wanted

I'm sure the people living in Inglewood in the 20's welcomed the yard because it meant they lived by where they worked since walking would have been the main form of transportation to get to work.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Nitro5
    I'm sure the people living in Inglewood in the 20's welcomed the yard because it meant they lived by where they worked since walking would have been the main form of transportation to get to work.
    and a place of employment and stability.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Sad thing is that people like these who give the LEGITIMATE complainers (from other areas, for other reasons) almost no footing to stand on.

And yea, the homes in the 1920's were built no where NEAR as close as the ones now.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Want to know something funny?

I used to live HERE

My back yard had a standard 6ft wooden fence in the back yard. Look what was 20 feet away on the other side of the fence...

First few days I lived there, there was shock at the noise, but after a week, it just became background noise and it didn't bother me one bit, even at night.

I suppose I could have complained too...Made them move their tracks!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast