Quantcast
Organic Beef - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Organic Beef

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary,AB
    My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX
    Posts
    859
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Organic Beef

    I got an email from our beef supplier today, they are taking orders for the year.

    Heres their page if anyone is interested:

    http://www.trailsendbeef.com/howtoorder.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.
    Posts
    5,955
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    So the smallest you can order is a quarter? Hmmm, anybody want to split a quarter with me potentially? a quarter is WAY too much beef for a single guy lol.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary,AB
    My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX
    Posts
    859
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    A quarter will be about 80lbs of meat I reckon.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,314
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Just received my quarter cow from Wineglass Ranch. 206 lbs = $822.80


  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    has a stick axle
    Posts
    1,707
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Hey A790, could you post a break down of what cuts of meat you received in your order?
    Originally posted by lint
    Who the f*ck cares what brand of protein a weak ass sissy takes? Or what exercises a weak ass sissy does?
    Originally posted by slinkie
    to each haters of "milk" your eating like a b!tch so ur gonna stay a b!tch. eat some cow eat some pizza eat cow in pasta cow in bread cow with cheese drink cow. look at cows there big eat them and ull be to. u are what u eat u wanna eat chicked ull stay being a chicken. u wanna eat string cheese ur gonna be a string cheese. u wanna eat fruit ur ganna be a fruit. Enjoy life.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,314
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Lots of beef sausage, approximately 90 hamburgers, 6 roasts, 6 large packages of hamburger, 16 New York steaks, 3 filet steaks, 8 packages of stir-fry beef, 6 packages of of stew steak...

    I haven't gone through everything yet. I know there's a bunch I haven't mentioned.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    has a stick axle
    Posts
    1,707
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally posted by A790
    Lots of beef sausage, approximately 90 hamburgers, 6 roasts, 6 large packages of hamburger, 16 New York steaks, 3 filet steaks, 8 packages of stir-fry beef, 6 packages of of stew steak...

    I haven't gone through everything yet. I know there's a bunch I haven't mentioned.
    You should sell me a NY Strip, I would love to do a side by side comparison of their beef versus what I usually buy!
    Originally posted by lint
    Who the f*ck cares what brand of protein a weak ass sissy takes? Or what exercises a weak ass sissy does?
    Originally posted by slinkie
    to each haters of "milk" your eating like a b!tch so ur gonna stay a b!tch. eat some cow eat some pizza eat cow in pasta cow in bread cow with cheese drink cow. look at cows there big eat them and ull be to. u are what u eat u wanna eat chicked ull stay being a chicken. u wanna eat string cheese ur gonna be a string cheese. u wanna eat fruit ur ganna be a fruit. Enjoy life.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,314
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally posted by KRyn


    You should sell me a NY Strip, I would love to do a side by side comparison of their beef versus what I usually buy!
    Sure man

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Avants, Estates, Variants, Wagons, Touring
    Posts
    1,416
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Did you get tenderloin? That's what I'm most interested in...
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    YWG
    Posts
    3,109
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally posted by zipdoa
    Did you get tenderloin? That's what I'm most interested in...
    If you really like good cuts of beef, buying a 1/4 or 1/2 cow will be disappointing. I did it once and you quickly realize how little of the cow are actually good cuts (tenderloin, striploin and rib).

    Most of what you will get is ground beef, sausage (if you place does them), tougher roasts (chuck, rump, crossrib, round) and stewing beef.

    The other issue I have is the guys selling the half or quarter cows do the cutting themselves (to save money) but they often tend to be terrible butchers. I have had steaks/roasts from a variety of these kind of guys on several occasions and often the recognizable cuts (tenderloin, strip, ribeye etc) weren't cut properly.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Calgary,AB
    My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX
    Posts
    859
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    The guy who we got our half pig from sent it to a terrible butcher some of the ground is 1lb some is 4lb. Its all wrapped badly. The pork chops are cut poorly.

    I've never had a problem with beef though

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    2002 jeep tj
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    my family gets there beef from them, the meat iss soo soft even after being frozen doesn't gum up and always juicy

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,314
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally posted by sputnik


    If you really like good cuts of beef, buying a 1/4 or 1/2 cow will be disappointing. I did it once and you quickly realize how little of the cow are actually good cuts (tenderloin, striploin and rib).

    Most of what you will get is ground beef, sausage (if you place does them), tougher roasts (chuck, rump, crossrib, round) and stewing beef.

    The other issue I have is the guys selling the half or quarter cows do the cutting themselves (to save money) but they often tend to be terrible butchers. I have had steaks/roasts from a variety of these kind of guys on several occasions and often the recognizable cuts (tenderloin, strip, ribeye etc) weren't cut properly.
    I haven't experienced this yet. The meat was butchered by Balzac Meats and seems to be done well.

    I've had some of the burgers, sausages, rib steak, and stir fry meat. All was delicious and tender. A semi-sweet flavor that is really different than what I was buying at Safeway/Co-Op/etc.

    The sausages in particular were just killer, damn. I'm glad I got like 15 packages of those lol

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    (maah raahde)
    Posts
    5,808
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Originally posted by A790


    217lbs of organic beef from WineGlass ranch
    Originally posted by killramos
    ^Is it even worth it to buy good high quality meat that you are just going to freeze?

    Serious question.
    Originally posted by A790

    Yes.

    The difference in flavour and texture is very apparent. When we got our first shipment last year we went to Costco and bought AAA New York Strips. We thawed two of our organics and grilled them with the Costco steaks. Same seasoning,cook time, relative thickness, and grill.

    The organic steaks were better. Not "night and day" better, more like going from a BMW 328 to 335 better.

    We paid $4.89/lb, butchered and delivered.
    Originally posted by killramos
    Interesting. Cant say no to the price esp if you already have a deep freeze. might be something to look into. What kindof cuts did you get? I cant imagine they are ALL steaks? haha.

    How long does that last you?
    Originally posted by spikerS
    I am interested to know what that batch cost as well. Looks to be a 1/4
    Originally posted by Strider
    Originally posted by A790
    We paid $4.89/lb, butchered and delivered.
    Is that hanging weight?
    Do you freeze it like that or vacuum seal?

    Originally posted by killramos
    Interesting. Cant say no to the price esp if you already have a deep freeze. might be something to look into. What kindof cuts did you get? I cant imagine they are ALL steaks? haha.

    How long does that last you?
    Guessing that's a 1/4 cow, so you get some of everything, including weird cuts that you won't know what to do with. Definitely not all steak.

    I'm curious how it compares to supermarket price, but that would be a lot of effort to calculate because you'd have you account for every different cut.
    Originally posted by killramos
    Originally posted by A790

    217lbs of organic beef from WineGlass ranch
    Originally posted by A790

    We paid $4.89/lb, butchered and delivered.
    Originally posted by spikerS
    I am interested to know what that batch cost as well. Looks to be a 1/4
    If i was to guess its in the range of $1,061.13
    Quoted from the latest purchase thread. Inquiring minds want to know.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Not the NE
    My Ride
    ‘Berta Special
    Posts
    5,003
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Alright so moving the convo over from the latest purchase thread:

    Re: Wine Glass Ranch their website has tons of info on cuts.

    exerpt:

    Currently our beef is available from December to June only. You can place your order at anytime but it is a first come first serve basis. It is recommended that you place your order at least 3 months in advance of your preferred delivery date.

    When you place an order we will offer suggestions regarding the different options for each cut. the goal is to customize your order to suit your needs.
    For example: Do you want the T-bone whole or divided into New York strip and fillet mignion? Do you want the Prime Rib as steaks or roasts? How big do you want your hamburger packages?

    Minimum order size is 1/4 beef. This means you get 1/4 of all the cuts! Your order will include Prime Rib, T-bone, Cross Rib, Sirloin, Chuck, Round, Ground Beef, Ribs, Shank (soup bones).

    A 1/4 beef will be delivered in 3 to 4 legal sized boxes (14”x10”x8” each).
    If a 1/4 beef is too large we recommend splitting it with your friends. Just spread the frozen packages on the kitchen table and divide it up!
    http://wineglassranchalberta.com/natural-beef/

    A790, how long did your order take if you wont mind me asking? Can you give us an idea of how much of each cut you got for a 1/4 cow?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

    If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,512
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    damn, dry aged too.... i should do this one day

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    My Ride
    The longest continuously used automobile nameplate
    Posts
    2,910
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Sort of on topic - I happened to be at Balzac Meats yesterday and much to my surprise, elk steaks were cheaper than beef. Butcher there said there is a shortage of beef across North America that is pushing beef prices upwards - never thought I'd see the day when cuts of elk would be cheaper than beef.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,512
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally posted by speedog
    Sort of on topic - I happened to be at Balzac Meats yesterday and much to my surprise, elk steaks were cheaper than beef. Butcher there said there is a shortage of beef across North America that is pushing beef prices upwards - never thought I'd see the day when cuts of elk would be cheaper than beef.
    how does that place work? do they have an actual retail front or do you call them, place an order and just pick up?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,314
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally posted by killramos
    A790, how long did your order take if you wont mind me asking? Can you give us an idea of how much of each cut you got for a 1/4 cow?
    We ordered in December (when were down to our last 25% from the last order) and they gave us a delivery of sometime in March (today, hooray!).

    $4.89/hanging lb, butchered by Balzac meats and delivered to your door.

    They came pre-frozen wrapped in wax paper. We tossed them in the freezer and will eat them throughout the year. We never had any problems and the flavour is consistently good.

    Ballparking it, I have:

    12-14 New York strips
    6-8 filets
    8-10 chuck steaks
    4 packs of short ribs
    6 roasts of varying cuts (tip, etc.)
    10lbs of hamburger
    2 boxes of premade hamburgers (an extra $10 each)
    About a dozen smaller cuts labelled "stir fry"
    About a dozen medium-size cuts labelled "stew"

    It's nearly identical to what we got last year.

    We more or less eliminate beef from grocery shopping for at least six months after receiving this, and we will still have ample meat for the next six. We love to slow cook stuff and the stew beef & roasts are bloody amazing. I can't get over the difference in flavour (my wife bitched and complained every time we bought a roast from the grocery store after we ran out at home).

    Travis (owner) will call you to sort out the kinds of cuts/etc. you're looking for. You can choose to get sausages made, hamburgers, etc. It's a mom and pop shop though so remember that when you talk to them- you're talking to a rancher, not an order taker

    EDIT: We ordered a 1/4 cow. No, you don't get all steaks. You get a good selection though, and we used it as an opportunity to learn how to prepare other cuts of beef.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.
    Posts
    6,314
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Unrelated, I was looking for "before" photos of my kitchen and it seems there's one posted above!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where do you get your Grass Fed Organic Beef?

    By Toma in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 35
    Latest Threads: 01-27-2011, 07:14 PM
  2. Organic Meats, free range chicken, grass fed beef *?*

    By nonofyobiz in forum Food and Dining
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 05-07-2010, 10:02 PM
  3. FS: Miata ACT Organic Clutch

    By turboMiata in forum Automotive Parts [Mechanical Parts]
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 01-09-2005, 06:24 PM
  4. FS: Spoon pressure plate, Spoon organic disc, Spoon pressure plate

    By redx2nv in forum Automotive Parts [Mechanical Parts]
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 06-15-2004, 08:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •