Quantcast
Looking at buying my first LED TV - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at buying my first LED TV

Default Looking at buying my first LED TV

Been eons since I watch TV regularly...and I'm talking about teenage years and college years when my parents had a CRT connected via coaxial cable.

So I'm looking at the following:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/t...UN40F6300AFXZC

Anyone have any of the 3? Recommendations?

I'm not gonna set up a home theatre so I would think the speakers on these TV are sufficient???

I'm also leaning towards Telus Optik since I already have home Internet with them.

Thoughts?

My Ride
    This and that.

All those Smart TV's are great. I have the series 6 in 55" and it does the job just fine. Sometimes out of nowhere it freezes and turns itself off on me. It did right off the bat but I was too buy to get it checked out under manufacture warranty and now it has been over a year. Anyway, as far as smart tv's are concerned, it's a good one, has lots of apps like Netflix, Youtube etc. Mine is a 3D tv as well, however I have never used that lol.

I also have Telus Optik and I can't really complain about anything.

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

Samsung is an awesome brand. I bought one a couple years ago and couldn't be happier. I went the route of going with one of their plasma tv instead of an LED. There has been so much improvement with that technology the last 5 years, they use less power, don't run nearly as hot, and the expected life is something like 30 years. With a refresh rate of 600hz, it has pretty amazing picture
    Honda/Acura guy

don't get RCA brand. mine is getting short-term image burn in. not even used often. very annoying

My Ride
    06 F-150

I've got a 50" LG LED..only paid like $800 and it has a great picture and no issues at all. Love Samsung though as well.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

i have 2 sharps 1 led and 1 lcd, and 1 plasma samsung and it's the worst tv i ever bought. has about 19 lines running across it and 2 vertical. i had the extended warranty but futureshop would do nothing for it, i forget why it was a few years ago, i do remember the guy saying you should have bought the higher model ( i have a series 6). my 10 year old sharp still works great, the samsung is maybe 6 years old the lines appeared in the second year i believe.

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

Originally posted by danno
    the samsung is maybe 6 years old the lines appeared in the second year i believe.
    Those older tv's had issues, they have improved leaps and bounds since then
    Honda/Acura guy

My Ride
    '18 Murano

We have 3 Samsungs and a Panasonic (2 plasma, 2 LCD) would buy either brand again. Samsung have had the odd problem, but when I go to upgrade to a "smarter" TV Samsung will be it.

P.S. It's still an LCD TV, the LED technology is just the backlight.

I am in the plasma camp, sad days for my lot as plasma is dying off. Every time I watch a sporting event on an LED or LCD, the fast motion always looks fake, kind of jerky in motion. Prime sports to see this would be hockey and soccer, just focus on the leg movement in full motion. I've had plenty of seat time in front of a higher end 60" or more, Sammy from late 2013, and there it is... motion fail. It might just be my standards are too high as they sell millions of these units. I do know my next TV purchase will be a forced to buy LED, as plasma is sadly DOA. Sammy has some really innovative tech features.

The new TVs come out in late spring, so there will be deals to be found.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 02-16-2014 at 04:16 PM.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I agree. Newer LCD are better than they were, but for motion (sports, movies) plasma is still king.

Sad that marketing and stupid consumers are killing off plasma.

My Ride
    AECO

A quick look in the Consumer Reports buying guide for 40"-46" reveals mostly Samsung, Panasonic, and an LG in the top positions.

Personally, I would avoid purchasing a TV with the SmartTV feature baked in. I find that other platforms (AppleTV, WDTV, plugging in your laptop, etc.) offer more options and functionality. See this thread... http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-376622.html

Costco is one of the best place to by TV's from in IMO. Unless of course you have some other hookup. Right now, TV's are on sale as they make way for the 2014 stock.
    They have a 90 day return policy/price protection, and I don't feel like less of a person when I speak to their salespeople.

More and more, people are choosing to pair their TV with a soundbar which dramatically improves sound. If you go that route, just make sure it is one that will integrate with the TV volume control or can be controlled by your universal remote. Nothing worse then having a separate remote to adjust the volume.

Optik TV is nice, but if you are a heavy internet user, you may want to reconsider. Optik shares bandwidth with your internet connection (and Telus landline, if you have that). The majority of Telus come in to houses on a pair of very very tiny wires. Some people I've talked to have ditched Optik for that reason. YMMV.

Whatever you do, just make sure you get a PVR.

Get a Panasonic ST Plasma while you still can. Without question the best bang for the buck TV going right now.

OR

Just buy the largest TV you can within budget, if you don't really care about the details. You will appreciate screen real estate more than anything else at the end of the day.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

My first flat screen was a Toshiba, was awesome, and had great color and quality, and I loved it, I am just pissed that it only lasted about 20 months before it totally crapped out on me, but that might have been from my move.

Currently we have an LG, and it is every bit as good as my old Toshiba, and we only paid about $1700 less for it.

Can't go wrong with Samsung either, I like their TVs too.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I have a 40 inch Samsung Series 6 LED Smart TV in my bedroom.

First smart tv I have ever owned. (Purchased on Boxing Day)

The tv is hooked up to my router via WiFi. I can turn the TV on, open Youtube on my iPhone, and send the video playing on my phone to the tv. What surprised me the most was it was very flawless. Works perfectly.

I have nothing bad to say about the tv at all.

I have heard good things about plasma tv's from Panasonic as well. Never tried one tho.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    I have a 40 inch Samsung Series 6 LED Smart TV in my bedroom.

First smart tv I have ever owned. (Purchased on Boxing Day)
    Un40f6300afxzc? How much was it during boxing day?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by Seks

Un40f6300afxzc? How much was it during boxing day?
    Best Buy shows a regular price of $800. On Boxing Day it was $700. Not much of a deal. I picked it up and went to the nearest check out. I told him to take another 50 bucks off and give me the extended warranty for free to which he agreed.

So yah I got everything for 650 plus tax.

Plasma FTW

Buy my t.v. bnib and much cheaper than in store

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...47#post4256747

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

Best Buy shows a regular price of $800. On Boxing Day it was $700. Not much of a deal. I picked it up and went to the nearest check out. I told him to take another 50 bucks off and give me the extended warranty for free to which he agreed.

So yah I got everything for 650 plus tax.
    I read that amazon.ca had it for $600 just before xmas.

Thinking of just wait it out for the 2013 prices to go down when the 2014 gets released

Plasma used to be much better for sports.

But any LED that does 120hz (or preferrably 240hz or higher) will have smooth left right panning. The gap has closed considerably.

The 2013 samsung 6400 series and higher have netflix sharpening built in. Which is basically the same thing as DIVX hardware accelerated decodes with "full sharpening and deblocking" I don't think that the PS3 or Xbox360 do the final image enhancements.

The effect is minor, but if you do a lot of netflix streaming - it might be worth it.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by Seks

I read that amazon.ca had it for $600 just before xmas.

Thinking of just wait it out for the 2013 prices to go down when the 2014 gets released
    Yah. It is a good tv. It's pretty thin but I wish it was a little more thin and square instead of being a little round on the back side.

Other than that... great!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast