Quantcast
Looking at buying my first LED TV - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking at buying my first LED TV

My Ride
    Evo, civic

I have a 65" Samsung 8 series and it is pretty epic. Love the motion control options!

Edit: The voice control options on the TV plus the XboxOne voice system pretty much eliminate the need for any controls!
    Last edited by georgemagana; 02-18-2014 at 09:00 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Are those LG's any good. The Telus one, 42LN5700 or the 47LN5750. Both 1080p LED, 120hz, 240 CMR, $650/$690 at visions. I think costco in store might be similar. Seems quite good for the price, was thinking of taking a look to replace my 4yo samsung 40" 120hz lcd.

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...7&sku=42LN5700

http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cate...0&sku=47LN5750

Originally posted by schocker
    Are those LG's any good. The Telus one, 42LN5700 or the 47LN5750. Both 1080p LED, 120hz, 240 CMR, $650/$690 at visions. I think costco in store might be similar. Seems quite good for the price, was thinking of taking a look to replace my 4yo samsung 40" 120hz lcd.

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...p;sku=42LN5700

http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cate...p;sku=47LN5750
    Not bad. None of the entry level TVs are amazing, which is why I always recommend people to go for size above all else, while staying within "main" brands. You could get a 60" TV for $150 more on Boxing Day and Black Friday. If one of those TV's is truly an IPS panel and the other not, you want the IPS panel.

If you just want new TV, in a non-HT environment, I would suggest getting a 50-60" plasma at the lowest price you can find. Unless you are a critical viewer, 9/10 times people are much happier with screen real estate than slightly better picture in a non-ideal viewing environment.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-21-2014 at 04:18 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Gotcha. I believe my existing is a 2009 LN40B610 lcd 6 series samsung so maybe I would be happy with something equivalent again to a 6 series. I don't want something too big because my tv room is not very big. I also like the lcd/led because I use mine for games/movies no tv.

This is a good deal:

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...fab33-12974789

I sit 7 feet away from a 74", it's completely fine. I've never heard someone say "that TV is too big" haha. Go for the 60", you'll love it. I'd much rather play games or other fast moving content on a Plasma than a LCD. Burn in is a thing of the past for the most part, and most TV's have burn in protection you can turn on which shifts the image every now and then undetected. Unless you have extreme time periods with a static image I wouldn't worry about it.

This is an OK deal if you want slightly smaller and LCD:

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...2&sku=55LN5310
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 02-23-2014 at 12:25 AM.

My Ride
    Grimace

I think you are oversestimating the size of my tv stand and room the tv is in
    I did see the 47LN5400 & 47LN5750 at costco. I think the LN57 is their better models? $585/687 respectively. Seems like a pretty good deal. Same price as visions on the 5750 and the 5750 is also smart and has 3 hdmi in whereas the 5310 only has one and the 5400 has 2. Might have to bite on the 5750.

$689 now for the Samsung UN40F6300

hmmmm

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Seks
    $689 now for the Samsung UN40F6300

hmmmm
    Places are showing that regular price is only $699 though, that seems odd for the 6 series. I am more confused now. Assuming these are all 2013 models, but still. Too many options

My Ride
    a red bullet shaped rocket

Does anyone know if buying online at Costco is more expensive than in-store? The online price includes shipping and handling, but I rather pick it up and save on the S&H since I live nearby.
    Last edited by Mr_John; 02-25-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    K20A2

Originally posted by Mr_John
    Does anyone know if buying online at Costco is cheaper than in-store? The online price includes shipping and handling, but I rather pick it up and save on the S&H since I live nearby.
    it is cheap to buy at the store as i was looking to get a sound bar and online and it is more 15$ more
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by 95EG6P

it is cheap to buy at the store as i was looking to get a sound bar and online and it is more 15$ more
    Yeah, generally cheaper in store as the shipping is usually kind of factored in and the prices in store are lots of times less like the 47" LG is like $130 cheaper in store as it is on sale.

My Ride
    a red bullet shaped rocket

Awesome! Thanks guys.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Upass

Gonna bump this thread instead of starting a new one. I'm looking for a new tv in the 55-65" range. How do the latest plasmas perform in really bright rooms? I have a wall of windows facing west so there will be a ton of light coming in. The tv will be mounted opposite the windows so probably the worst set up for a plasma. Should I stick to LCD? If so is there a stand out in terms of bang for your buck?

Originally posted by Nav13
    Gonna bump this thread instead of starting a new one. I'm looking for a new tv in the 55-65" range. How do the latest plasmas perform in really bright rooms? I have a wall of windows facing west so there will be a ton of light coming in. The tv will be mounted opposite the windows so probably the worst set up for a plasma. Should I stick to LCD? If so is there a stand out in terms of bang for your buck?
    Anything in the Panasonic ST and above range will be just fine. They have excellent anti-glare coatings, and that is the best bang for the buck TV out there right now period, all things considered. The 60" is around $1700. The glossy coatings they put on most LED LCD's these days are way worse IMO. Best to see for yourself though, store showrooms are pretty bright, as is the LED flash on your phone if you want to do some quick & dirty tests.

Honestly as long as you have blinds, you'll be fine with most anything. Most people's TV watching is done after dark anyway, especially when half the year it's dark before you're even off work.

It won't be long before you can't buy Panasonic plasmas anymore - such a shame. They are the best TV's you can buy, but I think profit margin is WAY higher on LED LCDs, among other things. Hopefully they sell their tech to Samsung or LG or something haha.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-23-2014 at 11:06 PM.

My Ride
    Upass

Do you know if they can still be found in stock locally or do I have to look online? Would it make sense to wait a month or two to see what comes out later in spring? If so I'll bare with my old tiny sony for a bit longer. From what I am reading it doesn't seem like there will be a comparable tv (price and picture quality) to the Panasonic st for 2014.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

I have a Samsung PN50B850 plasma in a bright room, no problems. It's a few years old, one of the first advertised as being fine in a brighter room. I'm still a plasma fan, but they're getting rare these days.
    Mrs. Penguin wants a bigger main TV, so keeping an eye on the Samsung 8000 prices. It'll be a step down in picture quality though.

Do you know if they can still be found in stock locally or do I have to look online? Would it make sense to wait a month or two to see what comes out later in spring? If so I'll bare with my old tiny sony for a bit longer. From what I am reading it doesn't seem like there will be a comparable tv (price and picture quality) to the Panasonic st for 2014.
    They are around. Visions has some in 55" (but not ST, last year's "S" series, not quite as good). Visions also has the ST series in 55" for $1598. They have last year's VT series for $500 off as well in 60", which is an incredible TV. Nothing about 60" in the Panasonics, but visions has some choices.

London drugs carries the VT series as well.

Future shop/best buy also carry the VT series.

Memory express has some still too.

Also custom install places like General Audio and BASE Electronics deal with Panasonc plasmas.

I'm putting together another HT in my living room, and I will most likely end up getting one of the last Panasonic's. I'd hate to miss out on those. The performance gap between the ST and VT series lately is very small. I would also take a Samsung F8500 plasma but they are really spendy still. That TV is a worthy rival to the Panasonics.

Or, you could go the other way, as there are several 60" plasmas for $750-$800 these days - won't be as good as the Panasonics but if it's not going in a critical viewing environment, you may not care as much. Anti glare coatings are definitely better on the more expensive TV's though.

In fact, if you end up wanting a ST55 or ST60 let me know, maybe we can get a deal on 2 of them
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-24-2014 at 10:47 AM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Anyone has experience with the Sharp Aquos? I read LED is better for rooms with a lot of sun exposure.

A 70" is the same price as a 65" Samsung! Leaning towards size here:

http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cate...sku=LC70LE550U

http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Cate...sku=UN65EH6000

My Ride
    Grimace

I believe at work we have the 80" version of that aquos. Picture is really good, you should probably get the 90 though.....

Samsung is always a safe bet but I believe the aquos are still good also so it is like 5" for free.
    Last edited by schocker; 03-30-2014 at 10:56 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My only complaint with Sharp LEDs is that it's a bitch to calibrate properly, especially with the Quatrons. Once they're calibrated though, the color rendering is even better than my Samsung 8 Series, which still has a bit of exaggerated saturation that the general public seems to love.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast