Quantcast
2014 Sierra or 2014 Tundra - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Sierra or 2014 Tundra

Default 2014 Sierra or 2014 Tundra

Looking at getting a new truck this summer and can't decide between the two. I know the Tundra is overall a better build quality and holds its value but I'm I'm not sold on the interior dash, center console or the front end. The new Sierra has lots of new features they added and I like the design but i have been reading about multiple issues that some guys are having and how little light the new headlights actually put out. I have test driven both for a short period of time and both trucks have there good points. I am more GMC biased since that is what I have growin up with and I can get cost+2%.
    I'm looking at the 5.3L crew cab Sierra as the double does not feel big enough and the 5.7Ldouble Tundra as it seems like the perfect size.
    Anybody own either truck? What are your thoughts so far?
    Last edited by pyro; 02-17-2014 at 07:32 PM.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by pyro; 02-17-2014 at 07:31 PM.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I agree with you on your points. I LOVED the dash in the Sierra, 3 usb and an inverter!? With device holder! Awesome! Plus a built in trailer brake system is a huge plus over the Tundra.

I personally don't like the new Tundra unless its the Platinum, which has a paint match grill which tones down the chrome all over the truck.

As for resale a Tundra will do you well in a few years, a Sierra will plummet.

I'd personally lease one or the other and not stress about my choice

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm a ford guy, but if you don't like the fords, I would say take the GMC. Trucks are one thing that GM does very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Default Re: 2014 Sierra or 2014 Tundra

Originally posted by pyro
    Looking at getting a new truck this summer and can't decide between the two. I know the Tundra is overall a better build quality and holds its value but I'm I'm not sold on the interior dash, center console or the front end. The new Sierra has lots of new features they added and I like the design but i have been reading about multiple issues that some guys are having and how little light the new headlights actually put out. I have test driven both for a short period of time and both trucks have there good points. I am more GMC biased since that is what I have growin up with and I can get cost+2%.
    I'm looking at the 5.3L crew cab Sierra as the double does not feel big enough and the 5.7Ldouble Tundra as it seems like the perfect size.
    Anybody own either truck? What are your thoughts so far?
    The point you made about not being sold on the centre dash for the Tundra, keep that in mind. You will be driving this truck probably every day and you don't want to crawl into the drivers seat and think 'man i do not like this interior'. I think that is a solid piont to make.
    And not that this will help you, but definitely get a quad cab. I had a 2007 GMC Sierra fresh off the lot but it was only extended cab with the rear doors that opened 180deg. It was nice, but then I had a 2013 Dodge Quad cab and I will never ever get another truck that isn't quad cab. They are just so handy. Anyways, good luck with the decision. That's not an easy one, wish I could be more helpful

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I'd go GMC, but wait a year and get a 2015 once the little issues are sorted with the complete redesign they just did.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I'm a ford guy, but if you don't like the fords, I would say take the GMC. Trucks are one thing that GM does very well.
    +1

The Tundras are WAY overpriced for what they are.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by spikers

+1

The Tundras are WAY overpriced for what they are.
    +2

The Sierra is a superior truck for the money, IMO. I've driven it, liked it a lot.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

The F150 is superior in most areas, and once the 2015's come out it will blow everybody else out of the water... as usual.

Flame suit on

For a truck, I'd stay within the big 3.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

GMC/Chevy all the way. No about a year ago we needed a new work truck for the farm, my bro tested the new Tundra and he was grossly disappointed on every possible level, it rolled like it was on marshmallows while in the turns, and felt very un-truck-like in a variety of ways. We tested the Silverado, and that felt very solid, very well built... and that it could actually do that one thing you needed a truck to do..... work. We load up ours well past 3/4 ton (meaning well over 1 ton), and it just deals with it, all of zero fucks are given, seriously.

So we bought a Silverado 2500 HD, and never looked back, I just wish to GOD that we got that Duramax. That engine is beyond words amazing, just power for days and brilliant fuel economy. When I rented a fairly new one (at the time, this summer) 2012 Denali crew cab 2500 Duramax, I was towing a truck on a trailer, up hill through BC, and it honestly didn't even know it was pulling anything. I was passing people uphill doing 130kph, pulling a truck ON a trailer, and it was like I wasn't towing anything at all. All in all the 1300km trip with it? consumed all of $180-200 in diesel. Half of that was pulling a truck up from the states through the BC mountains. Our gasser 3/4 ton has trouble properly pulling a 14k pound GVW gooseneck trailer, it likes to stay in the lower gears since it cant upshift far enough to get somewhat decent fuel economy.

Our 6.0 gas is quite thirsty, and seriously lacks the power that the Duramax has just copious amounts of. All in all that same trip would have cost me about $500+ in fuel. So the Duramax pays for itself quite quickly. I know our truck would have been struggling the WHOLE time and just DRINKING gas like no tomorrow. The best fuel economy we get with ours is 15.5L/100kms on the highway, which is horseshit.
    So get a 3/4 ton or bigger with the Duramax, and you'll be extremely happy. For that whole trip? I have doubts on to whether the Tundra would be up to such as task, since the biggest load Ive yet to see a Tundra haul is about half of what I was hauling, with either our 6.0 gasser or the Denali w/duramax.

Like the Tundra's & Titan's, their cute if you want a truck without actually NEEDING one, but if you want power, reliability and usability, Stick to GM, or at least the big three NA brands.
    Ford (non diesels) are decent,
    GM, both diesel & non-diesel are decent depending on your needs
    Dodge, both diesel and non-diesel are decent, again depending on your needs and plans. It just comes down to what you want most..... but I'd personally pick GM long before anything Dodge, or even Ford as a close second.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 02-17-2014 at 11:15 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Modded junk

Originally posted by Ukyo8
    The F150 is superior in most areas, and once the 2015's come out it will blow everybody else out of the water... as usual.

Flame suit on
    Want to elaborate on why?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by whiteout

Want to elaborate on why?
    He works sales for Ford I am pretty sure, that's why :P

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Toyota trucks.. For the boys who think they are all outdoorsy and enjoy camping.

My Ride

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Like the Tundra's & Titan's, their cute if you want a truck without actually NEEDING one, but if you want power, reliability and usability, Stick to GM, or at least the big three NA brands.
    I disagree.

Toyota does not add all of the "bells and whistles" that other brands do, but what they lack in gimmicks they MORE than make up for in build quality and reliability. My parents own a 2007 Tundra, and that thing has never had any issues. My neighbours, however, own a 2010 Sierra, and that thing has been nothing but grief for them. Granted, how you take care of your vehicle makes a huge difference, but still.

My Ride
    2004 Mustang GT convertable

Its gotta be the GMC.

They are building fantastic new trucks with great features and amazing value. The truck out performs its competition and the 2014 Silverado won north American truck of the year.
    Take it easy and if she is easy take her twice

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Those Truck of the year things are useless. They go to the company that buys the most advertising.

GM makes a great truck, but that award means nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    K-car

Dad in law has a 2014 Sierra SLT, very very nice truck. Getting pretty decent mileage with it too. I'd opt for the 6.2 V8 as all I've read says they get very close f/e numbers to the 5.3. While I'm sure the Tundra is nice....the front end styling is enough for me no to buy one.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I'd go GMC as the Tundra just doesn't have enough for the money. It doesn't pull better, gets terrible fuel mileage and resale won't be nearly as strong in a few years because they are due to launch a new one (the current one was just a refresh of the styling).

My Ride
    78 civic

Can't wait till toyota and nissan get their diesels into production. Till then I'm happy with my 08 tundra. Check out the Tundra TRD pro (not quite a raptor).
    http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/trdpro.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast