Thread: Porsche fires

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Default Porsche fires

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

PORSCHE REVEAL CAUSE OF 991 GT3 FIRES
    News | Josh Barnett | 0 comments
    The pair of engine failures that caused two brand new Porsche 991 GT3s to ignite were the result of a problem with a piston connecting rod bolt. Speaking to Total 911, Porsche GB Product Affairs Manager, Nick Perry, explained that “the broken connecting rod bolt caused damage to the crankcase” of the burnt out GT3s.

After a ‘stop driving’ notice was issued by Porsche four weeks ago, Zuffenhausen has been flat out in an attempt to diagnose the cause of the two catastrophic failures. Just last week, we reported that there had been little further news from Porsche regarding the issue.

However, today’s news (which 991 GT3 owners will be receiving in letter form imminently) signals the major breakthrough that all 785 owners have been hoping for during the past month.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Porsche have not confirmed if the two bolt failures happened at the big- or small-end of the conrod but, rather than replace the offending items, Stuttgart will now embark on the process of replacing the engines in every 991 GT3 produced so far.

Perry did not want to put a timescale on this process as many of the 100-odd GT3s delivered so far in the UK will need to be recovered to an OPC, and the engines need to be built and transited from Germany, before the motor switch can be performed.

The new engines, which will feature an improved connecting rod bolt, will also feature on any new 991 GT3 rolling off the production line as of today. While the end appears to be in sight, Total 911 will keep you abreast of any further developments.

http://www.total911.com/porsche-reve...991-gt3-fires/
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

They havent determined weather the failure is at the big end or the small end of the conrod? Wellll correct me if im wrong, but, unless porsche is completely different from any other engine, the only thing at the small end should be a wrist pin.........oh and a piston.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 12:46 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I was going to say the same thing. Unless they mean the wrist pin, and just use the term "bolt" for the layperson?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I wonder if it was a design flaw or a supplier quality issue - would like to get my hands on one of the throwaway motors for a track car - Cayman S with this powertrain would be something else.

My Ride

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
    would like to get my hands on one of the throwaway motors for a track car
    Make sure you're wearing your Nomex then :P

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's a design problem.

According to company spokesman Nick Twork, the new GT3 suffers from faulty connecting rod fasteners, which loosen and soon cause catastrophic damage to the 3.8-liter's crankcase. This will necessitate a massive engine replacement scheme.

"We are in the process of validating the revised part," Twork said. "We will be replacing the engines in each of the 911 GT3s that have been built thus far."
    Hey, at least they're fixing it. Those poor 996'ers with IMS problems weren't so lucky.

At 50% gross margins on their cars, this will be a drop in the bucket for Porsche.

And the official PR from Porsche:

Sports car manufacturer Porsche will be replacing the engines of all 911 GT3* vehicles of model year 2014. This is the corrective action derived from intensive internal analyses that were initiated in response to two engine fires. Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that engine damage resulted from a loosened screw joint on the connecting rod. The loose connecting rod damaged the crankcase, which in both cases led to leakage of oil which then ignited.

After becoming aware of the two cases, Porsche promptly took action to avoid any risk to customers by advising them to cease using the affected 785 vehicles until further notice and have them picked up by a Porsche Centre. Now, engines with optimised screw fittings will be used in all Porsche 911 GT3 vehicles of model year 2014 – including in those that have not been delivered yet. The relevant Porsche Centres are in direct communication with customers worldwide to discuss the further course of action.
    http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpors...257C9F005D2B11

I don't care, unless there's more problems down the road, I still want a 991 GT3.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

At least it they addressed it right away unlike BMW and the E46 M3