Quantcast
What part of Maui to stay in? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What part of Maui to stay in?

Default What part of Maui to stay in?

This is our first time to Maui, we have been to Oahu before and we liked the touristy area of Waikiki and all the restaurants and shops nearby to go to. We would like to stay somehwere in Maui with similar type of amenities near by. As I have been researching it seems like the west side (Kaanapali) is a good place to go, can any beyonders share their experience what places to avoid and places one should definitely consider.

You're definitely on the right track. Kaanapali is best for that sort of experience since it is very close to Lahaina. Front Street in Lahaina is where you will find all the touristy stuff and the main harbour.

Another nice place to stay is Kihei; it is known as the place where all the Canadians stay. I much prefer the beaches in Kihei as they have much finer sand and extends quite away into the ocean. Kaanapali beach is recognized as one of the nicest beaches however there is lots of coral. Great for snorkelling; not so much for playing in the waves.

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

^^^^ Good advice. Also look into Wailea, it's my fav area on Maui.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

We stayed in Kaanapali, beaches were beautiful but no surfing or big shore breaks for fun. As for entertainment Maui is absolutely dead after 9pm, as all the restaurants close at that time.

The beach in front of our hotel.

Last edited by 89coupe; 02-28-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-09-2019 at 12:26 AM.

Kaanapali has a decent price range for accommodations, its not all just super baller stuff (like Wailea).

Kihei is a great central location and also close to where many of the touristy/boating activity launches from (just on the other side of the bay in Maalaea).

If "touristy" means shopping for souvenirs then stay in Kaanapali with easy access to Lahaina.

If "touristy" means activities, then stay in Kihei with quick access to Maalaea, road to Hana, Haleakala, etc.

Can't really go wrong either way, Maui is small.
    ---

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Better restaurant selection around Kaanapali/Lahaina vs Kihei if that matters to you.

Default Maui

Thanks guys, those are good points to know...I will be renting a car to get around and looking forward to those beaches. What are some restaurants one should check out? Were not big on seafood though.

Also any places that you guys recommend for hikes?

Blitz is totally bang on the restaurants. Some of the very best food is in Kaanapali and Lahaina by far. I would seriously travel back to Leilani's in whaler's village for the Calamari. It's just that damn good.

Coupe get serious, the best surfing spots in the entire world are located in Maui. Yes maui. Not Oahu. Seems you are hell bent that Oahu is some amazing island.

The north shore in Maui is unlike any other spot for surfing. It makes the north shore of Oahu look like child's play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usi5iMoS-l0

Maui has a lot of beautiful places to see and explore and is the most diverse of all the islands. A good list to start...

1. Pipiwi trail at the 7 sacred pools. Very nice hike and absolutely scenic with some nice waterfalls. Located past hana so its a fully day trip.

2. Sunrise and hiking at the summit of the volcano. You need to wake up very early to witness just how amazing the sunrise up there is.

3. Snorkelling. DO NOT do Molokini. You'll find they offer this trip for next to nothing. It's a waste of time and relatively boring. You will want to do the turtle town and lanai adventure. Lanai gives you the chance snorkel with live spinner dolphins. The last time I went they came right besides us and inbetween us. The are very social. Turtle town quite possibly has the high population density of sea turtles in Hawaii. Just a very cool site for snorkelling.

4. Cave exploration. It's hard to find reliable tour operators for this. They take you down the SE coast of maui where you can explore hidden caves. It's a different journey each and every time.

I would tend to say a lot of younger people stay on the Kaanapali side and older people are more attracted to Kihei.

The sheraton at Kaanapali has access to one of the best beaches and is close to whaler's village which has some good shopping and some very good restaurants. I say this because it's located on the best stretch of the beach as well. It's actually not uncommon to see 10 foot high surf break in the Kaanapali area.

The north shore area of Maui has some crazy surfing that is not recommended for anyone below an expert skill level. The waves up there can go from 10 feet to 120 feet at different times of the day depending on the season.

A lot of tourists often stop and watch guys being towed on to huge waves. Its definitely something to see.
    Last edited by pea_soup; 02-29-2012 at 02:35 AM.

Originally posted by 89coupe
    We stayed in Kaanapali, beaches were beautiful but no surfing or big shore breaks for fun. As for entertainment Maui is absolutely dead after 9pm, as all the restaurants close at that time.

The beach in front of our hotel.

I was on the other side of Black Rock at the Sheraton.

OP, it's my opinion that there is no bad spot on Maui. I've stayed in the Kannapali area a few times now, and it's great. Last time I felt a bit isolated, like we'd done and experience most everything we wanted to on that side and found ourselves driving to Kihei\Wailea often. Honestly, just pick a spot and enjoy, it's not a big place and you can drive around and get the feel for each area and plan for your next visit.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by pea_soup
    Blitz is totally bang on the restaurants. Some of the very best food is in Kaanapali and Lahaina by far. I would seriously travel back to Leilani's in whaler's village for the Calamari. It's just that damn good.

Coupe get serious, the best surfing spots in the entire world are located in Maui.
    Uh, I was talking about the beach in front of my hotel...LOL

The best restaurant in Maui is Mama's Fishouse which is on the east side of The island.

Nah c'mon be truthful. You've had so many posts where you think Maui is a waste of time and that Oahu is the bomb where as many people think the exact opposite.

Leilani's at whaler's village is one of the very best restaurant's on the island. I don't say what is the best because everyone's preference is difference. However Brads opinion is always right on just about anything.

They have a wide variety of seafood items that are all locally caught and fresh. The Calamari is unreal. The hula gril right across from it has extended hours and is always busy.

There are a few places just outside Kahalui that have amazing food. They are more geared towards locals then tourists though. I find for whatever reason you get more natural local cuisine places closer to Kahalui.

I would definitely stay in Kaanapali though just as a recommendation. I would stay on the sheraton side of the black rock beach. It's a very nice beach, not insanely over crowded and has an abundance of marine life for snorkelling. It's not uncommon to see sea turtles within a couple feet of the water.

If you are wondering how in the world I could know so much about Maui. I lived there for 2 years straight. I worked as a photographer for one of the hotels and you learn over time what there really is to see on the island.

Unfortunately I can't recommend some of the really good hikes that I personally enjoy as they go off the beaten bath and in several instances are two days journeys. I did do the Honokohau Falls adventure and I call it an adventure because getting up close by land is not not easy.

Two easiest ways to see it are the coast and by helicopter. It's one of the waterfalls featured in Jurassic Park. I would personally say it's one of the nicest waterfalls in maui. You won't see any of the great waterfalls on the side of the road though even though tourists stop like crazy on the road to hana.

DO NOT BUY the the road to Hana CD.

Drive to Hana. Enjoy the drive. Enjoy the view and leave very early.

Stop at the black sand beach just before Hana. Really interesting beach with really nasty surf break. Do not recommend swimming there due to the jellyfish problems. Still a nice place to see.

Always recommend looking around Hana. some very neat things there. It's an old school town all the way. But some very nice things to check out.

Continue the drive towards the 7 sacred pools. This time of the year the water levels will be very high and depending on how bad it is the park rangers may close off the pools to visitors for safety concerns. The 7 sacred pools to me presents one of the most interesting views of the coast looking eastward.

Many never seem to take my advice. Take the south road back to your resort. I know the car rentals places will tell you not to but many people do as it's a lot faster. Not to mention you can drive through the older lava flow on the way back.

If you are the type that has motion sickness take gravol from home or buy dramamine and take it before you start the drive to Hana.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Well 89, instead of getting beat up by peabrain throw more tips in my Oahu thread as I actually want as much advice as you have on things you liked or didn't, regardless of cost or anything else.

I'm going there to have a good time.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

I could tell you way more about Oahu than 89coupe could. I've lived on Maui, Oahu and Kuai all for some time. I only spent 6 months on Oahu but you begin to see the islands from the non-tourist perspective.

The problem with each island is they really appeal to a different demographic. I would honestly provide you with a lot of different spots to see that most of the tourist destinations don't recommend simply because they are out of the way and geared more towards the locals.

I also feel you don't experience Hawaii but doing a lot of the tourist BS. I mean Molokai is the most natural of all the islands and it has the fewest visitors each year. That is one hell of an amazing place to relax and unwind.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by pea_soup
    I could tell you way more about Oahu than 89coupe could. I've lived on Maui, Oahu and Kuai all for some time. I only spent 6 months on Oahu but you begin to see the islands from the non-tourist perspective.

The problem with each island is they really appeal to a different demographic. I would honestly provide you with a lot of different spots to see that most of the tourist destinations don't recommend simply because they are out of the way and geared more towards the locals.

I also feel you don't experience Hawaii but doing a lot of the tourist BS. I mean Molokai is the most natural of all the islands and it has the fewest visitors each year. That is one hell of an amazing place to relax and unwind.
    Well I just thought you were being an ass for no real reason to 89Coupe (I know, tall words coming from me hahaha). If you have suggestions and such, I'd love to hear them from you. Either post them in my thread or PM to me please. About the only "tourist" thing I want to do there is check out Pearl Harbour, I think it's an interesting piece of history.

Other than that I just want to see things, eat things, meet people and be on beaches.

Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Post them in the thread please. I'll grab some ideas too as I'm heading there in April.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I found Mama's Fish House a little over rated. Definitely a good restaurant, but I had better at other restaurants.

Favorites:
    - Pineapple Grill (the pistachio crusted ahi especially) was also probably the fanciest restaurant we went too. Had lots of non-seafood dishes
    - Mala and their sisters restaurant, Honu Grill
    - Lahania Grill
    - The Plantation House
    - The Sea House (has great breakfasts)

I wasn't impressed with any of the restaurants affiliated with hotels in Kanapalli, including Leilanis. Actually, it was one of the worst meals we had the whole time. All 4 courses tasted like they've been poured out of a can, including some of their signature dishes.

Hula Grill was fairly mediocre as well, but ok for a quick lunch and a drink.

I'd stay away from Whalers village/Kaanapali area for food and stick and to Lahania and Kapalua.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Best Sushi was Sanseis

http://sanseihawaii.com/

I'm a fan of David Paul's Island Grill. Great food/service, and awesome view of the sunset if you get a table on the patio.

Nick's Fish Market gets great reviews, but I didn't like it. Wasn't bad, but wasn't good either. Also really annoying were the photographers that come around taking pictures only to try to sell you a crappy 4x6 for $50.

^ Agree with above. Went to a bunch of sushi restaurants in Oahu and Maui (including Nobu) and the only one that was decent was Sansei.

*edit* - all this hawaii food talk is making me want to go back :P
    ---

My Ride
    M5 Competition

David Pauls was nice, but it doesn't feel Hawaiin at all, feels more like New Orleans, wouldn't you agree?

Pea Soup, ahaha, now I know who you are, you are that photog guy who thinks he takes the best photos in the world...LOL

Weren't you the guy who told me that Haleakala was a trecherous drive to the summit and only recommended a 4x4? LOL

...and weren't you the guy who told me to wear winter clothes cause its freezing at the top? LOL

You also told me that the hike to Waimoku falls is dangerous and that taking my daughter is foolish, crossing streams, and the risk of being washed away? LOL

Yeh, all nonsense...LOL

Here is a post I did on Maui.
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/311400/aloha-from-maui/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast