Quantcast
FYI: Amazon.ca Prime charges - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: FYI: Amazon.ca Prime charges

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default FYI: Amazon.ca Prime charges

Noticed on my cc statement this morning that Amazon.ca automatically billed me for prime membership - $80-something. Not sure of all the perks but faster shipping seems the only obvious one.

Didn't recall signing up or telling them I wanted membership but it was a free option previously. Seems maybe now they mass billed people if you've ever used it.

Anyways, worthwhile checking if they billed you automatically. It's super easy to cancel and stop the auto-renewal. A full refund is expected in the next couple days.
    Ultracrepidarian

When you took advantage of the free 1 year of prime it stated that it would auto renew. You actually had a year before they charged you to unselect the option in your profile.

Here's an actual FYI regarding Amazon prime. If you look up an item that is Prime eligible and then find the same item on Amazon that is not Prime eligible you will see that they are actually charging you more for the Prime items so you are paying a portion of that shipping.

I've noticed this on a few different items.

Same thing happened to me, but it was only a one month trial in Dec. They billed me but I canceled and requested refund, happened in a day or two.

In Canada, I believe the only perk is two day free shipping. In the States, it gives access to their ebook library as well I believe but you can't get that in Canada.

I don't recall it ever being free... why else would it be an additional service then?

Maybe you signed up for the 30 day trial last time you bought something and forgot to cancel?

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Service...dp/B00DBYBNEE/

Anyone know if its possible to buy something from amazon.COM that's not available on amazon.CA?

Sorry

Sounds like you got dinged for the auto renew. When you signed up for free, there was a trial period, and once that ended there is nothing warning you you're about to get charged. Unless you had something to remind you to cancel, they get away with charging you.

I order a ton of stuff off Amazon and I'm not sure it's worth $80/yr. So much stuff ships for free, and the cheapest paid shipping option usually arrives in 2-3 days anyway.

Originally posted by Manhattan
    Anyone know if its possible to buy something from amazon.COM that's not available on amazon.CA?

Sorry
    Depends on the product. Some products ship no problem from Amazon.com, others may not ship from Amazon, but if you check out the other retailers that sell through Amazon.com, often times they ship to Canada, even though Amazon.com themselves don't.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Manhattan

Sorry
    Sometimes the other sellers will ship to Canada, often at ridiculous shipping rates (like $55 to ship a pair of bike shorts lol). Sometimes it's very reasonable though, just have to try different international sellers and see what it calculates at. Kind of tedious but works well for somethings.

Otherwise you could get an american CC and address and redirect it to Canada. Or ship to a friend, etc.

Thanks for the info, Roopi. I've been using Prime for what seemed awhile now with no extra charges - guess the chickens came home to roost finally.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue boy

Seems like everything I try to buy off Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    Seems like everything I try to buy off Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada
    Same, well all the good price items anyway...

If you haven't used prime at the time at renewal you can get a refund, I'm not sure if There is a timeline but I got my refund back the day after in liked refund.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Just get them to ship it free to the border and then go pick it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch