Quantcast
M-Coupe Questions - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: M-Coupe Questions

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by flipstah

Actually now that I think of it, that's VERY good. I get 9-10L/100kms on the Golf so even with a tiny tank, it can match or exceed what I get on the Golf now.
    You're kidding right?

Haha, you are basing the fuel economy of the M-coupe you are potentially purchasing based on one highway trip, by one dude on the internet that drove at the speed limit for 250 kms.

My average consumption, for the time I owned an S54, was ~15L / 100kms. That is a mix of city and highway. Commuting to work and WOT.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by benyl

You're kidding right?

Haha, you are basing the fuel economy of the M-coupe you are potentially purchasing based on one highway trip, by one dude on the internet that drove at the speed limit for 250 kms.

My average consumption, for the time I owned an S54, was ~15L / 100kms. That is a mix of city and highway. Commuting to work and WOT.
    LOL jeez, benyl! :P

Just a thought. 15L? Fuck that shit.

My Ride
    G37X

LOL jeez, benyl! :P

Just a thought. 15L? Fuck that shit.
    I'm not too shocked..if you're driving it like a sports car you're going
    to get shitty mileage I get around 15 L/100 kms city.

Could be worse at least I don't drive a hummer.

I've also managed to get sub 8 L/100 kms on the highway in
    the same gas pig. YMMV..

Don't let fuel consumption stop you. Gas up at canadian tire and
    rake in the dough

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by benyl

You're kidding right?

Yeah gonna have to agree with Benyl here, even though it's capable of good fuel economy the average was far far worse, closer to 17L/100km in the city if you drive normally.

My Ride
    Acura Lexus

If yo gonna drive it to conserve gas you might as well drive a Civic, bro.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

These things are only fun when you drive them the way they're supposed to be driven. If you want a car that's good on gas, don't bother. If you want a car that's practical, don't bother. If you want a car that's cheap to maintain, don't bother. If you drive around like a little bitch, don't bother. If you want a car that'll give you a shit eating grin every time you get in it, then this is the car for you.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I went from a gti to a rs4... 7L/100km to 12L/100km. Those are number when driving conservatively.
    I wouldn't worry about gas costs if that is a issue to you. Enjoy the car for what it is.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Please do.
    It is a shooting brake, first off.

M Coupe

I've had mine for just over a year now, and although it's the Z3-based M Coupe, the engine is the same and the practicality is probably similar. I drive it year round, and have put over 24,000 miles on it since I bought it.

First off, it is a bit of a pig on gas. I get about 250 miles to a 50L tank. That's commuting. I'm sure straight highway would be a little better, and when I had it out on track days, I'd go through half a tank in an evening. On the other hand, I don't care. I didn't buy it to hypermile it, that's for sure. So if spending 60 bucks a week on gas is a detriment, there you go.

My maintenance has been oil changes so far. It could probably use a valve adjustment and I'll do that before summer hits. Other than that, it's needed a TPS sensor when it failed ($120 and five minutes of labour) and a new washer pump. I've had good luck on repairs on both my BMWs, so YMMV. I do find them to be solid, reliable cars though. Mine's at 107,000 miles now and I can't see that being a problem.

The Coupe is surprisingly useful. I can fit two hockey bags in the back, and the sticks just slide in next to the passenger seat. Excuse the Instagram pics, but proof it can be done. For two people, there's plenty of luggage space. I'm not sure about the Z4, but the Z3 has a dog net you can pull up to keep your puppy in the back as well.

I'm not sure about the Z4, but the Z3 can take a roof rack for any large items. I put skis on it all the time and have been all over the place, Banff, Louise, Nakiska, Fernie, Revy... with good Blizzaks I've never had it stuck in the snow. And no, it's strictly a two-seater; no back seats.

I'm not quite sure what the market is for Z4s, but here's the ONLY site you should look at, really.

http://www.z4mcoupebuyersguide.com/

As for driving it, the Z3 is a blast. The S54 is obviously an amazing engine. There's plenty you can do to mod it. It handles very well, and oversteer is so easily done it's hilarious. This thing will roast tires all day if you want. And if you go aftermarket, you can fit up to 315s in the rear with no bodywork, so tires can be as fat as you want.

It's comfy enough for long trips. My dad and I did 7,000+ KMs in it, and we weren't sore at all. I have a longer one up north planned this summer.

Also, they're rare. I've come across two other Z3M Coupes in a year. One in the USA, one here. The odds of running into another one (Z3 or Z4) is slim, if that's important.

It is the best car I've ever owned. Better than the NSX, S2K, and definitely the Evo 8. It's fast (enough), handles well, fun on a track but equally as good as a GT car, and turns heads. People don't know what it is.

I love it. I can't see myself getting rid of it.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Interesting... Thanks for that write-up and photos!

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Interesting... Thanks for that write-up and photos!
    No problem. Any other questions, lemme know. I'll answer what I can.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by buh_buh
    These things are only fun when you drive them the way they're supposed to be driven. If you want a car that's good on gas, don't bother. If you want a car that's practical, don't bother. If you want a car that's cheap to maintain, don't bother. If you drive around like a little bitch, don't bother. If you want a car that'll give you a shit eating grin every time you get in it, then this is the car for you.
    Couldn't agree more..

My Ride
    G37X

No problem. Any other questions, lemme know. I'll answer what I can.
    250 miles/50 L tank is hardly a pig to me. That's damn impressive mileage if you're driving it hard in my books.

For what it's worth, I definitely consider the Z3 Coupe and Z4 Coupe and M Coupe variants to be of the shooting brake design. Long hood, sloping hatch rear. I find them striking and gorgeous.

"In contemporary usage, the term shooting-brake has broadened to include a range of vehicles from five-door station wagons — to three-door models combining features of a wagon and a coupé."

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

250 miles/50 L tank is hardly a pig to me. That's damn impressive mileage if you're driving it hard in my books.
    Well it's no Civic haha.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Couldn't agree more..
    They are incredibly fun to drive.

Clarkson said it best. They're a hooligan car.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

I drool every time I see a Z3M Coupe. I'll just get some latch points welded into the trunk and throw the kids carseats back there....

My Ride
    Toyota Sequoia

these cars are so eye catching

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

M54 engines and their variants are a horribly laid out platform.

I've gone through 3 CVVs on one car. If you have to leave this car outside for an extended amount of time in cold temeratures, you run a very high risk of this common failure. Worst case it floods your engine with oil and it hydrolocs.

The CVV is of a horrible design, and their "update" was to wrap everything in foam rubber for insulation, which means it barely fits in the stock location anymore. The location demands that the hoses run to it are way too long and have too many 90 degree bends. The dipstick tube is of a horrible design all to hide sludge from showing on the dipstick, but at the cost of very small passageways that can accumulate moisture and freeze up into the CVV itself, ruining it.

Best case your car won't start, or it will run horribly and you are in for an expensive repair, or 6 hours under your hood slicing up your hands. You'll probably have just blown your valve cover gasket as well.

Both the starter and the CVV are under the intake manifold. Removing the intake manifold is not trivial. You either destroy your hands, or get handy at taking the manifold off.

If your DISA valve breaks you can have a metal pin travel into a cylinder and really mess things up.

I frankly would never buy an M54/S54 ever again. Everything is a "common" problem.

I don't know what else is shared with E46s, but the central locking module will go out, after which the lock cylinder, of which there is only one, will surely break (left my wife stranded in the cold this weekend).

The blower motor resistor (FSU) does not have enough heat sinks and will go. When this unit fails it may start killing your battery. If you see an old one the wing mirrors will always be rusted out behind the glass.
    Last edited by bspot; 03-06-2014 at 05:18 PM.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

I haven't had any issues in two years of having my car sit outside in -40... Always fired right up.

Everyone has their issues though I guess.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I haven't had any issues in two years of having my car sit outside in -40... Always fired right up.

Everyone has their issues though I guess.
    It may be that the S54 generates more heat, or that you never short trip your car.

The first time was because she had to pull the car ahead to make room for a furnace cleaning guy. You have moisture in everthing because it's not warm yet, it freezes, and splits.

If you have a failing T-stat it can increase the odds of this as well.

Basically never short trip them and park it in the cold, unless this is something that doesn't affect the S54.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast