Quantcast
altering 1 bedroom condo floorplans into 2 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: altering 1 bedroom condo floorplans into 2

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Re: Re: altering 1 bedroom condo floorplans into 2

Originally posted by sputnik
    Modifying an existing unit (if even allowed) will just destroy your market value should you try to sell it later.
    Hence my temporary wall idea.

You guys are thinking too much like Calgarians. I've seen quite a few Vancouver condo's that are fully functional two bedroom and similar sq.ft. (and less in some cases). I imagine Europe to be similar like this as well.

Not everyone needs a big spread, some people are happy with just a bedroom and a common kitchen.

just from experience. I sat on a condo board, some yahoo tried to change a 1 bdroom to a 2 bdroom by putting up some dry wall and framing a closest. Needless to say. We had them rip it down at the owners cost.

Originally posted by in*10*se
    just from experience. I sat on a condo board, some yahoo tried to change a 1 bdroom to a 2 bdroom by putting up some dry wall and framing a closest. Needless to say. We had them rip it down at the owners cost.
    Not really sure you have the whole story there. It's one thing if the modifications don't meet the building code but the owners have the right to do pretty much anything they want within the walls of their condos as long as they are not modifying structural supports or encroaching on common space. Otherwise the renos are fair game. Condo boards like to think they can write a whole bunch of bylaws and enforce them but the condo act supersedes anything written into the bylaws especially if they go off and contradict the act. If you have the proper paper work from the city not really sure why there would be any grounds to stop you from renovating...

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Not really sure you have the whole story there. It's one thing if the modifications don't meet the building code but the owners have the right to do pretty much anything they want within the walls of their condos as long as they are not modifying structural supports or encroaching on common space. Otherwise the renos are fair game. Condo boards like to think they can write a whole bunch of bylaws and enforce them but the condo act supersedes anything written into the bylaws especially if they go off and contradict the act. If you have the proper paper work from the city not really sure why there would be any grounds to stop you from renovating...
    LOL i was thinking the same thing. What gives the condo board the right to tell the owner what they can and cannot do to their own unit if it's not structurally affecting the building? Y'all buncha nazis. hahaha

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by in*10*se
    That yahoo likely should have been less intimidated and more litigious.

If you want to do something like that, ignore the condo board until your plans are approved by City Hall. You can do all that legwork on your own to see what you will/won't need a permit for and what is permissable.

If you need better ideas, start looking into European designs and furnishings. There's some ingenious ways of making little spaces "big".

Cross your t's with the City and fuck the condo board, they don't need to know anything till your ready to go and even then, for a minor reno I doubt you're ACTUALLY required to even divulge a plan. Those boards are almost always full of know nothing busy-bodies (not referring to you in*10*se, just a general sentiment).
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by l/l/rX

What gives the condo board the right
    Typically the paperwork you sign when you buy a condo.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Typically the paperwork you sign when you buy a condo.
    Just because someone writes it down and you sign it does not make it legal or law... You can't for example write in your condo docs that you cannot rent out a condo. This would run counter to the condo Act which supersedes anything you might make someone sign bylaws be damned.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by mazdavirgin
    Just because someone writes it down and you sign it does not make it legal or law... You can't for example write in your condo docs that you cannot rent out a condo. This would run counter to the condo Act which supersedes anything you might make someone sign bylaws be damned.
    Funny you should mention that. Our company bought a cabin at a vacation destination and our owner sits on the board for that development. They've had a complaint that someone is renting out a unit outside of the rental pool which is run by the resort proper.

Turns out, when it came up at the meeting, it's one of the board members doing it. She just said they can go ahead and try to stop me, I'll sue them. I bought it with that purpose in mind and I can do what I want with it. And she's right!
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 03-06-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

The 1BR condos you list are in now way large enough to split into two bedrooms unless you come from a Hong Kong style dwelling where not speace means yes space. Doing anything permanent would also affect your ability to resell down the road. If your intent is to rent out the second bedroom, unless it's a poor student that can't afford housing, it'd also be a hard rent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2