Quantcast
Free Sirius/XM service going on 4 years now - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Free Sirius/XM service going on 4 years now

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    My Ride
    2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4x4
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Free Sirius/XM service going on 4 years now

    Anyone else had this glitch before?

    Ever since I swapped a second Sportster 5 into my account after breaking my first one accidentally I haven't been charged a cent. This will be my fourth year of free service. I even receive subscription updates with no problem, with all channels unlocked.

    As long as I don't break this one, I'm guessing it will be free indefinitely.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '16 WRX
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    9

    Default


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    My Ride
    2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4x4
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Kijho

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    876
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Booooo
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Somebody quoting things without reading them? On the internet?
    GET THE FUCK OUTTA TOWN
    Originally posted by Toma
    First dibs sniffing bras panties when dirty girls bring their cars in

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    C
    Posts
    2,655
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Fuck off. Those of us who pay every year don't need to hear that shit, so keep it under your hat.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Blandness
    Posts
    7,043
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    I'm still getting it free with my old Stilleto.

    There was a thread a long while ago about how the first receivers required a signal to stop service, so if you didn't turn your radio on for awhile after cancelling, it never gets the signal to stop.

    I left mine alone for 2 years, and finally tried it. Working just fine. Once in awhile I get an email informing me of a "free month trial, just turn on your radio!", so I leave it shut off for a couple of months, then use it again

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Canada
    My Ride
    2001 Chevrolet Blazer 4x4
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Fuck off. Those of us who pay every year don't need to hear that shit, so keep it under your hat.
    I mean, the only good thing about Sirius/XM is the variety of channels. If I was told I needed to re-activate, I wouldn't, the quality is less than 128kbps bitrate. It's like they are streaming mp3's from Napster that have been trans-coded 10x times.

    I haven't looked into radio alternatives besides my own mp3's that are ripped and encoded in a VBR format that doesn't sound like ass. That said, I'd gladly pay for a good sounding service.

    Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    I'm still getting it free with my old Stilleto.

    There was a thread a long while ago about how the first receivers required a signal to stop service, so if you didn't turn your radio on for awhile after cancelling, it never gets the signal to stop.

    I left mine alone for 2 years, and finally tried it. Working just fine. Once in awhile I get an email informing me of a "free month trial, just turn on your radio!", so I leave it shut off for a couple of months, then use it again
    That's sort of how it went.

    It broke, (pushed thumb into the screen too hard while pulling it up in -30C weather, cracked the LCD). Said fuck it and left it for a few months. My significant other at the time then bought me a new one out of sympathy because it was a gift, but it hasn't been billed since then.
    Last edited by seriosbrad; 03-05-2014 at 07:21 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    C
    Posts
    2,655
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally posted by seriosbrad


    I mean, the only good thing about Sirius/XM is the variety of channels. If I was told I needed to re-activate, I wouldn't, the quality is less than 128kbps bitrate. It's like they are streaming mp3's from Napster that have been trans-coded 10x times.
    It's definitely not worth the regular $16/month rate, but it's easy enough to get a promo rate, I never pay more than $80 per year. Mine is a factory integrated unit, but even when I had the standalone, every year the emails, letters and phone calls would come.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.
    Posts
    5,947
    Rep Power
    19

    Default Re: Free Sirius/XM service going on 4 years now

    Originally posted by seriosbrad
    Anyone else had this glitch before?

    Ever since I swapped a second Sportster 5 into my account after breaking my first one accidentally I haven't been charged a cent. This will be my fourth year of free service. I even receive subscription updates with no problem, with all channels unlocked.

    As long as I don't break this one, I'm guessing it will be free indefinitely.
    Yeah I occasionally turn it on to see if its working. Sometimes it does. Ive never paid a cent for it. Not all the channels work, but thankfully the ones I like do.

    ( Electric Area, Octane & Liquid Metal).
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cochrane, AB
    My Ride
    '14 Dodge Crew Cab, '08 WRX
    Posts
    1,361
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    The old units are gold. My Starmate has been free since '02 or '03 when I cancelled my account. It's the illegal model, as well, that will transmit FM over 100ft and they wanted it returned as per the federal government. It's great for tailgating and camping.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    C
    Posts
    2,655
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    ^ haha 12 years? Yah I'm pissed and super jelly of you fuckers with glitches. The most I ever got was a couple of extra months on my old XM Onyx unit, then people like my sister can somehow 'reset' the trial on her Volvo every six months or buddy's Ford's 3 year 'trial'... me? I get 3 months from cheap-ass Nissan before they flood me with calls and emails and disable my signal.
    Most people would be happy to pay for the 3-5 channels they typically use but sadly we don't get that option. I Siriusly hate XM with a passion, it's a rotten company with horrible customer service aka typical monopoly.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    633
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I wouldn't boast about a it being free when it sounds like crap because it's so compressed but maybe I'm just jealous ;-)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant
    Posts
    831
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    i bought a used suv 2 years ago, and i still have sirius/xm working in it ... i'm guessing the previous owner never bothered to de-register it off the suv

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    FK8, DC2R, Outback XT
    Posts
    2,022
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Lifetime subscription FTW... im so happy I jumped on that before they shut that option down.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Calgurry
    My Ride
    ferd
    Posts
    3,395
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Damn /toocheaptorenewmine

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    North Korean
    Posts
    230
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    feck, my gf has the old starmate from her mom that i got running for her last year and it hadnt been used for 2-3 years previous to that, now shes got free sirius while i have to pay to listen in my genny -_-'

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    2002 jeep tj
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    so that what this is haha, I bought one from a coworker in construction, he told me it has 2 years on it, I got it for 40 bucks, with the boom box, its be well over 3 years and its still kicking lol

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Blandness
    Posts
    7,043
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Originally posted by seriosbrad

    My significant other at the time then bought me a new one out of sympathy because it was a gift, but it hasn't been billed since then.
    Maybe she keeps getting billed and not even realizing it

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '73 Buick, '88 Silvia, '03 Ruckus, '17 Ridgeline
    Posts
    542
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally posted by A2VR6
    Lifetime subscription FTW... im so happy I jumped on that before they shut that option down.
    Allegedly they still offer it if you call them.



    This is kinda of XM/Sirius related, my truck is actually a 2008 model from the US. I bought it in October 2012 and had full XM service until the 5 year warranty finally expired in late December 2012.

    I was a loyal Sirius subscriber for 6 years but in 2012 they chopped the quality when they added a bunch of new channels. I just couldn't handle the terrible sound quality after that.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Blandness
    Posts
    7,043
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13

    I just couldn't handle the terrible sound quality after that.
    Honestly I don't even know why anyone living and working in a city with decent cell reception would even bother subscribing. If you work out of town, sure, but for $20 a month, that's enough LTE to cover all your live-streaming needs through a phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Pioneer Sirius Connect + Sirius Connect Kit

    By eglove in forum Automotive Parts [Audio/Video/Radar Systems]
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 03-15-2012, 01:29 AM
  2. FS: Sirius Satellite Starmate 3 Radio and 6 Months Free Service

    By oilerfan4lyfe in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 12-15-2006, 02:28 PM
  3. US Sirius Radio vs Canadian Sirius Radio

    By likwid in forum In Car Entertainment / Electronics
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 12-11-2005, 01:58 AM
  4. Going..and going...and going..and..

    By Khalil in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 19
    Latest Threads: 05-02-2005, 01:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •