Quantcast
2014 Audi Q7 vs 2014 Acura MDX vs 2014 Mercedes GL - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Audi Q7 vs 2014 Acura MDX vs 2014 Mercedes GL

My Ride
    Stuff

Originally posted by benyl
    Get a Sprinter. RWD so you can still dorifto around the corners!
    I wonder if the Partridge Family bus is for sale.
    I like cars.

You'll never be happy in an Crossover/SUV with three kids, all their stuff and grandma. Bite the bullet, buy what is needed and not some idea of the person/family you used to be. Situations change. My brother had a GL until a year ago, three kids under the age of five, he bought the most loaded Honda van he could order with aftermarket wheels. He is always running somewhere for kid stuff, frankly they pretty much live in the thing.

Have you even taken a quality van out for a test drive or borrowed it for a weekend?

My Ride
    4x4

You could wrap the lower part with a porsche/c63/anything fun - decal - then you'd just forever be parked next to a goddamn sprinter

I don't know cody very well at all... but i don't see him driving a swagger wagon

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Cody D

I found that none of them have very much space behind the third row, we thought the larger SUVs would have a lot more but they must use the extra size for leg room.

Our oldest just turned three so they are all still in buckets. A minivan, no matter how practical just won't happen for us, I am sure they work well for some people but I know for whatever reason I would be miserable in one.
    EXPEDITION MAX BRO!!!
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by Aleks

Re Canadian fuel ratings: I have had over 20 cars and not once have I come anywhere close to the ratings. USA EPA ratings I've always been able to achieve.
    That is so bizarre!

Before I'm lynched for witchcraft, does anybody else get their Canadian estimated MPG?
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Here is a video review showing the 2014 Toyota Highlander XLE 7-Seat Crossover Child Seat situation. It should give you some idea as to what to look for in a vehicle used for children, child seats and storage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eijr...=share&index=4

2014 Acura MDX: Car Seat Check:
    http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...eat-check.html

Tons more of child car seat checks:
    http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/car-seat-check/
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 03-06-2014 at 07:27 PM.

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    You'll never be happy in an Crossover/SUV with three kids, all their stuff and grandma. Bite the bullet, buy what is needed and not some idea of the person/family you used to be. Situations change. My brother had a GL until a year ago, three kids under the age of five, he bought the most loaded Honda van he could order with aftermarket wheels. He is always running somewhere for kid stuff, frankly they pretty much live in the thing.

Have you even taken a quality van out for a test drive or borrowed it for a weekend?
    R Class for me. Bought a new one before production ceased in N. America.
    Insurance Pro

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by Aleks

Re Canadian fuel ratings: I have had over 20 cars and not once have I come anywhere close to the ratings. USA EPA ratings I've always been able to achieve.
    Are you comparing per liter or gallon? Every car I've driving has shown per liter, if you're doing per gallon the us gallon and canadian gallon are different.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6849954_do-c...u_s_-mpg_.html

But you've been around for awhile so I wouldn't be surprised if you already know that.

My Ride
    Stuff

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    Here is a video review showing the 2014 Toyota Highlander XLE 7-Seat Crossover Child Seat situation. It should give you some idea as to what to look for in a vehicle used for children, child seats and storage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eijr...re&index=4

2014 Acura MDX: Car Seat Check:
    http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...eat-check.html

Tons more of child car seat checks:
    http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/car-seat-check/
    This is really neat. I am 99% sure it'll be the MDX now.
    I like cars.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Originally posted by Cody D

This is really neat. I am 99% sure it'll be the MDX now.
    Can never go wrong with a MDX. Everyone I know loves theirs and keeps them forever.

Another point about the MDX, it is so highly rated for safety, TopSafetyPlus pick from the IIHS:
    http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/acura/md

This might be the best review of all, 18 minutes and he is not afraid to point out negative areas on any vehicle. So often "reviews" seem like commercials, not so with Alex:
    http://youtu.be/OX1ebP8yeF4
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 03-07-2014 at 09:11 AM.

I have a friend in the same situation that went the MDX route. It's still pretty cramped with 5 of them in there, loading and unloading stuff is still a bitch, etc.

I just find the whole minivan refusal funny, once you hit 3+ kids it's time to give up!... just ribbing you.

Considered the Q60? Not sure if it's any better than the others.

My Ride
    Stuff

Originally posted by Prail
    I just find the whole minivan refusal funny, once you hit 3+ kids it's time to give up!... just ribbing you.
    I refuse to accept family life, I'm pretty sure I'll eventually just be this guy:

I like cars.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Hakkola

Are you comparing per liter or gallon? Every car I've driving has shown per liter, if you're doing per gallon the us gallon and canadian gallon are different.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6849954_do-c...u_s_-mpg_.html

But you've been around for awhile so I wouldn't be surprised if you already know that.
    I'm talking about the Canadian ratings in L/100kms. I find the city ratings impossible to achieve. EPA city ratings are bang on every time.

I just got an mdx and i love the car. No regrets.

outside of clearance, mini-vans, especially AWD offerings, are super practical

personally I'd love it if they still created a body on frame mini-van like the Astro with a part-time transfer case and a solid engine, like the old 4.3 (but something like a 5.3 vortex)

My Ride
    13' ILX

PM'd OP

I feel you bro. I have 3 kids and we currently have a Honda Odyssey. I personally hate driving around in it, there is no sense of pleasure at all. To be honest, not sure the MDX will be any more fun than the Odyssey anyways. Regardless, I almost pulled the trigger on a 7 passenger SUV last week, but we rationalized that the minivan is really tough to beat in regards to value and practicality. To me, the MDX is a glorified Odyssey. So either go big (GL) or go practical (Sienna or Odyssey). Nothing beats walking up to your minivan, pressing 2 buttons and having the doors open for my kids to let themselves in. I figure in a year or two, we will be ready for a SUV.

How old are your kids anyways?
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    Stuff

Originally posted by VWEvo
    How old are your kids anyways?
    3, 20 months and 0. I would rather drive an MDX which is less convenient for loading/unloading than an Odyssey that makes my life easier. It's the same reason I have never owned a car with good fuel economy, I would prefer to enjoy my drive every day than to drive something practical that I don't get any enjoyment from. I think individually you have to decide how far down the practicality scale you are willing to go and for me it stops well before a minivan is in my driveway.

I enjoyed driving the 2014 MDX I test drove and I enjoyed the 2007 MDX we owned before the Q5, after thinking about it more I can't justify buying the GL that my kids are going to destroy. The Q7 I think is out as I believe the redesign in a year will kill the resale value of the current ones.
    I like cars.

Out of those 3, I would go GL. I have driven them all. It's also the best selling SUV in it's class, at least in the USA. I am not a huge fan of the current Q7, and it's due for a re-do. The MDX is a little overpriced IMO, but has crazy resale and SH-AWD is excellent. Can't really go wrong there either if you're OK with the price.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-07-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast