Quantcast
2014 Audi Q7 vs 2014 Acura MDX vs 2014 Mercedes GL - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Audi Q7 vs 2014 Acura MDX vs 2014 Mercedes GL

My Ride
    Stuff

Default 2014 Audi Q7 vs 2014 Acura MDX vs 2014 Mercedes GL

Looking for some owner experiences, third child is soon to arrive so the wifes Audi Q5 is up for sale.

Current thoughts:

Mercedes GL: Definitely the nicest but $10,000 over the Q7 and $20,000 over the MDX. So many cool features and it seems to be the largest of the group.

Audi Q7: We like the exterior but hate the interior, seems to have the least features of the three and we have trouble justifying the price over the MDX except size advantage. The new small engine feels like it barely can handle the weight. It definitely feels like they haven't updated it since 2007. I think the redesign is coming soon which will kill any resale value of the current model.

Acura MDX: Seems like the best option, lowest price of the three even for the Elite package. As many features as the Mercedes, we like the interior almost as much as the Mercedes. The dealership is my one fear, so far it hasn't been as good of an experience as the Merc and Audi dealerships.

Any personal experiences? Diesel worth it? The X5, Infinity and Lexus we looked at but either the prices don't seem right or we don't like the SUV.
    I like cars.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 02:22 PM.

My Ride
    Stuff

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    MDX is a gas guzzler compared to the other two, and also getting fairly dated now... even with the new funky jewel headlamps

What about a VW Touareg TDI? Probably a bit cheaper than the Q7, but still a pretty luxurious vehicle inside.

The Porsche Cayanne is also pretty nice.
    The Cayenne would be my choice but I forgot to mention it has to be a seven seater for the kids. I had read that the MDX had the best fuel economy of the three at 21 MPG.
    I like cars.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    MDX is a gas guzzler compared to the other two, and also getting fairly dated now... even with the new funky jewel headlamps

What about a VW Touareg TDI? Probably a bit cheaper than the Q7, but still a pretty luxurious vehicle inside.

The Porsche Cayanne is also pretty nice.
    Mdx is all new this year.

Direct injected v6, 37mpg highway.

It's pretty sweet.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 02:22 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Darkane
    Mdx is all new this year.

Direct injected v6, 37mpg highway.

It's pretty sweet.
    That is imperial mpg though based on canadian figures, it is really only 18/27/21 combined
    Still good though. I was looking at an MDX at the dealer and the new gen is really nice, much nicer than the old. The Q7 is quite long in the tooth at this point and the next gen probably won't be out until sometime next year I would assume.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:19 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride

Originally posted by schocker

That is imperial mpg though based on canadian figures, it is really only 18/27/21 combined
    Still good though. I was looking at an MDX at the dealer and the new gen is really nice, much nicer than the old. The Q7 is quite long in the tooth at this point and the next gen probably won't be out until sometime next year I would assume.
    Why would we not base it off canadian specs?

It's does 7.7l/100km highway (36.55)

And 9.6l/100km combined. That's 29.3mpg. Very good for the size and power.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Grimace

Why would we not base it off canadian specs?

It's does 7.7l/100km highway (36.55)

And 9.6l/100km combined. That's 29.3mpg. Very good for the size and power.
    Because EPA ratings are actually obtainable. No car can reach canadian fuel economy ratings ever. Canadian values say my tsx gets 25/38/30 combined, best joke I have heard all day
    This is compared to EPA 22/31/26, I have been averaging 20mpg city.

My Ride

Originally posted by schocker

Because EPA ratings are actually obtainable. No car can reach canadian fuel economy ratings ever. Canadian values say my tsx gets 25/38/30 combined, best joke I have heard all day
    This is compared to EPA 22/31/26, I have been averaging 20mpg city.
    Hmm. My civic si DOES get 41-42mpg on the highway all day long. It's rated 42.

My escape does 9l/100km on the highway exactly what the manufacturer says? However temps below 0 will net higher consumption.

I'm not sure what to tell you. How often do you align your wheels?

I inflate the tires to 35 and get alignments every 2 years. Not sure what to tell you dude.

Edit: just saw you drive a tsx. Some advice for our k-series motors - you're better off to rev a little higher with minimum throttle input vs low rpm and more throttle. Reason is the Ivtec will advance the intake cam and the computer will dump more fuel.
    Last edited by Darkane; 03-05-2014 at 11:07 PM.

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Grimace

Hmm. My civic si DOES get 41-42mpg on the highway all day long. It's rated 42.

My escape does 9l/100km on the highway exactly what the manufacturer says? However temps below 0 will net higher consumption.

I'm not sure what to tell you. How often do you align your wheels?

I inflate the tires to 35 and get alignments every 2 years. Not sure what to tell you dude.

Edit: just saw you drive a tsx. Some advice for our k-series motors - you're better off to rev a little higher with minimum throttle input vs low rpm and more throttle. Reason is the Ivtec will advance the intake cam and the computer will dump more fuel.
    It depends on the car but most are quite off. They are going to bring it in line with the EPA numbers as they were adjusted a number of years ago to match actual driving scenarios. I know there are cars that can get far above the EPA ratings though. If you search around there are some stories and whatnot comparing the two. (Old story I quickly found http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada...bers-1.1030890 ) I have never had a vehicle that has met the canadian ratings, but I have been able to meet the EPA ratings. I am fine with the 20mpg as it is winter and I drive swiftly. Tires are OK and alignment is good. Come spring time, I assume I should be hitting the epa 22. Good tip on the k-series though thanks.

X5 is pretty large now is it not, the current gen is quite new also so maybe that is worth looking at?
    Last edited by schocker; 03-06-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Time to minivan up!

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

3 kids...go for the GL. The Q7 feels small inside when I went to check it out.
    I purchased a R Class for the family last year - the bluetec diesel engine is a beast.
    Insurance Pro

My Ride
    Stuff

I use fueleconomy.gov for researching fuel economy numbers.

Originally posted by Prail
    Time to minivan up!

Blashphemy, I think we would sell a kid before we bought a minivan.

Originally posted by guessboi
    3 kids...go for the GL. The Q7 feels small inside when I went to check it out.
    I purchased a R Class for the family last year - the bluetec diesel engine is a beast.
    We definitely like the GL, it's just hard to justify over $80,000 for a vehicle my kids are going to destroy. It is still in a tie with the MDX for us though.
    I like cars.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

The GL is a fresh new design. The Q7 is long in the tooth.

I've read nothing but rave reviews of the gl63.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

We have 3 kids too all under 5 years old. We have a Honda Odyssey. Nothing beats it in terms of functionality and I wouldn't give it up for anything until kids are older. It needs an interior detail once a month

That being said I understand most people don't like the minivans so with 3 kids make sure you're getting something with enough room (again depending on age of kids). MDX space behind the 3rd row when it's up is useless. I am not familiar with GL and Q7 room. Maybe take a look at the new Infiniti JX or whatever it's called now as they have an easy loading middle row setup.

Re Canadian fuel ratings: I have had over 20 cars and not once have I come anywhere close to the ratings. USA EPA ratings I've always been able to achieve.

My Ride
    Stuff

Originally posted by Aleks
    MDX space behind the 3rd row when it's up is useless. I am not familiar with GL and Q7 room.
    I found that none of them have very much space behind the third row, we thought the larger SUVs would have a lot more but they must use the extra size for leg room.

Our oldest just turned three so they are all still in buckets. A minivan, no matter how practical just won't happen for us, I am sure they work well for some people but I know for whatever reason I would be miserable in one.
    I like cars.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Buy whichever one that won't piss you off when your kids trash/stain/tear up the interior.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Cody D

I found that none of them have very much space behind the third row, we thought the larger SUVs would have a lot more but they must use the extra size for leg room.

Our oldest just turned three so they are all still in buckets. A minivan, no matter how practical just won't happen for us, I am sure they work well for some people but I know for whatever reason I would be miserable in one.
    Another thing to check is that each one of these has 3 sets of latches in the middle row if you want to put all 3 buckets there. I'm sure they all do but worth checking. Makes life easier.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Cody D

A minivan, no matter how practical just won't happen for us, I am sure they work well for some people but I know for whatever reason I would be miserable in one.
    Get a Sprinter. RWD so you can still dorifto around the corners!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast