Quantcast
2014 Golf Thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Golf Thread

Default 2014 Golf Thread

I know it is a bit early to start golfing, but only reason that got me thinking about it was I just purchased a Garmin gps watch for the old mans birthday.

While I was at Gtown they had some clearance on shoes but I didn't spend too much time looking.

Ponied up for a golf membership this year, so my goal is to get 50 rounds in (hopefully more) and I would rather walk the better share of them for some good exercise.

That being said, my current Adidas shoes aren't the most comfortable for walking a full 18. They are about 4-5 years old.
    I'm flatfooted and have a bit of a wider foot as it is. Wondering if anyone knows of a decent site that has ratings/dimensions laid out. That or just any members on here who walk the courses often and have some positive reviews of a certain brand/model.

Appreciated!

Can't wait for spring to come...

I always walk, I enjoy my Nike TW shoes... Try em at sportchek
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have the Garmin G2 watch, won it at a tourney at the end of last season, I'm pretty happy with it.

Thinking of some new golf shoes this year too. I have a great pair of foot-joys which are good for cooler/wet weather, but want something wth some more mesh for the hot days. The Selection at sport check was terrible last time I was in there.
    I have some of those golf sandals, but they aren't that classy, and something enclosed probably looks better if I'm ever trying to look professional.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Everything I've read/watched says the new FootJoy DNA's are most comfortable golf shoes ever. Plus the looks great. At $220, and $240 for the version that can tighten your heel gap, they aren't cheap. But I'll definitely be buying a pair as long as they fit(I have wide feet). But I currently game 2013 Nike Lunar in wide width. Super comfy as well, and lots of room for my EEE width feet. I'm also flatfooted if that helps you. Lunars would definitely be on sale at Golf Town if you find 2013 stock.

I can't wait for spring either. I dropped about 15 or 16 points off my index last year, and now I want to get close to single digit this year. Unlikely, but if I get to a 10 from a 17, I'll consider it a success.

Where did you get a membership?

@Extra that is the exact watch I bought him, being in his mid 50's he doesn't need to worry about the touch screen and all that s3/s4 stuff. he was pretty excited about the watch, and hope it improves his game

@pham I'll check out those Lunar, a few nikes caught my attention caught of the wider stance, I don't think I'm an EEE but definitely wider and being flat footed never helps that. I might just have to drop the 200+ for those Footjoys, having sore/blistered/sweaty feet from walking isn't fun at all
    and my membership is for elbow springs, I enjoy the 27 holes so I can rotate and its close to the house so its a short drive, looking forward to hitting as many rounds as I possibly can

My Ride
    LX 5.0

FJ Superlite have always been comfy for me. I grab a new pair every second season. I walk about 20 rounds per season. I also have wide feet, but not flat.

I usually pick up the previous years model for 80 bucks or so.

Default Re: 2014 Golf Thread

Originally posted by colinxx235

Ponied up for a golf membership this year, so my goal is to get 50 rounds in (hopefully more) and I would rather walk the better share of them for some good exercise.
    Where did you get a membership at?

Default Re: Re: 2014 Golf Thread

Originally posted by roopi

Where did you get a membership at?

Elbow Springs, always enjoyed golfing there

My Ride
    06 F-150

Ecco golf shoes are supposed to be good and really nice looking IMO.

Heartbroken I won't be able to play Kananaskis this year.

Default Re: Re: Re: 2014 Golf Thread

Originally posted by colinxx235

Elbow Springs, always enjoyed golfing there
    Nice course. They require an equity membership then yearly fees?

I love in the SE and have been looking online for equity memberships. Cottonwood seems to be down quite a bit and I'm wondering if something is up. Was there damage to the course? Alot available in the. $5k range.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by chathamf
    Ecco golf shoes are supposed to be good and really nice looking IMO.

Heartbroken I won't be able to play Kananaskis this year.
    Ecco makes a great pair and I'm planning to snipe a pair once the sales roll in. My Nikes and Footjoy are too stiff for walking 18.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by flipstah

Ecco makes a great pair and I'm planning to snipe a pair once the sales roll in. My Nikes and Footjoy are too stiff for walking 18.
    Drop a post if you find a sale!

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

Golf trade show on March 22 boys...

http://www.albertagolfshows.com/site/calgary_show

There were some killer deals last year, I wish I just waited before I bought my stuff

If you are looking for good deals on clubs, drivers, etc. Be the first person when it opens and snag the best deals.

I love in the SE and have been looking online for equity memberships. Cottonwood seems to be down quite a bit and I'm wondering if something is up. Was there damage to the course? Alot available in the. $5k range.
    Cottonwood had a lot of flood damage last year and were only able to open a partial course (IIRC). Is probably cheap because they won't be at a full 18 for opening (or potentially a while).

Yah equity + fees type thing

You should look at Carmoney, good family friend has had a membership there for ~10 years or so. One of my favorites to golf

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

Can anyone recommend a good place for inexpensive lessons? Would love to try breaking 100 this year.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by slick2404
    Can anyone recommend a good place for inexpensive lessons? Would love to try breaking 100 this year.
    What do you consider inexpensive? Typically you will only get breaks if you sign up for lesson packages, ie 5 or 10. Otherwise you will be paying $80-150 per hour. I highly recommend getting a few lessons, the more the better, because you won't be able to fix your swing in one lesson.

I'm working with my pro/coach every 2 weeks right now, which gives me enough time to practice on my own between them. I will taper off once the season starts, and do playing lessons later this year.

But you need to be realistic with yourself, and see how much time you are willing to work on getting better. We all have time commitments and busy schedules, so if you can only play once a month, and hit the range once a week, it will be really hard. Working on your swing now is going to give the best chance at breaking 100 this season.

If you don't want to pay for an instructor, go film your swing and post it GolfWRX forums and you'll get some feedback on what you need to work on. Then you can go check out some online videos from Andrew Rice or Mark Crossfield and work on some of their suggestions for issues you might have.

My Ride
    2005 F350

last year was my first year of playing golf and I was able to break 100. all it takes is practice as well as an understanding of what you are doing wrong and why.

I played about 2 rounds a month but hit the range almost 3 times a week.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by slick2404
    Try Terry Carter at National Golf Academy. He owns and runs the golf dome on 50th ave, just off Macleod so you could get a nice head start in the dome before the season begins. http://www.nationalgolfacademy.ca/newsite/

Im quite excited to get golfing this year, I head down to Scottsdale in 2 weeks so I will get a few rounds in down then, then over to San Fran for a few days where I will play a round with some family friends.

I just moved into a new house with an unfinished basement so it has been my golf range for the last few weeks. I love the 9 foot ceilings and wiffle balls, fells good to swing the clubs again!
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast