Quantcast
2014 Golf Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Golf Thread

thought I would make a quick post in reference to the FJ DNA shoes, I went to golf town recently and tried on shoes for quite a long time (FJ fit damn large so it took a while to zone in on the size). Isolated it down to a 8.5 wide. but the only shoe in calgary at golftown was black, and I wasn't interested in that at all.

Gf is in phoenix for a week and going to see if she can pick me up a pair of the 8.5wide BOA while down there, maybe even cheaper. That boa system is damn sweet, I had never tested it out before, but it is convenient. Once I found the right size, they were very comfortable shoes, although I can't say if that translates to walking a course yet

My Ride
    M3

Originally posted by asp integra

National Golf dome (just off Macleod at 50th ave), Terry Carter is the head pro there and runs it, but all the instructors there are very good
    +1 for NGA Golf dome. I recently finished the 10 days x 1 hour lesson program. I had Grant Cook as my instructor and I thought he was very good. Every lesson he would instruct us on what to do for 5 mins and then the rest of the time he would let you hit balls, he would also record you on camera, look at your form and identify what needs work. Half way through the program Grant had to take leave for personal reasons, so a guy named Dan Cameron took over. The teaching style of Dan was very different compared to Grant. With Dan, he did a lot more instructing which probably took 30-45 mins, and then he let us hit balls with the rest of the time we had left. Dan is more of a textbook kind of guy while Grant gives you much more freedom in developing your own form.

My Ride
    Lexus IS-F

A lot of Calgary courses will be opening this week!

Here’s The City of Calgary’s 2014 Golf Course and Driving Range Opening Dates chart: http://www.calgarygolfblog.com/2014/...ing-dates.html

GlenEagles will be opening on Thursday, April 10th on all 18 regular greens. They are booking tee times now: http://www.calgarygolfblog.com/2014/...l-10-2014.html

Blue Devil is looking at possible opening on Friday, April 11th and HeatherGlen on Saturday, April 12th.
    Calgary Deals Blog - All of Calgary's Best Deals in One Place.

My Ride
    Mom-van

oh the PGC group is at it again. shady organization
    Last edited by ~Leah~; 04-07-2014 at 11:26 PM.
    ~*Leah*~

My Ride
    Mom-van

Originally posted by petoria
    do you guys have any recommendations on a good place for golf lessons or an instructor you recommend?
    We are opening a brand new academy at Inglewood this summer with a full time teaching pro. You should come check it out - centrally located and great prices. Garret Jenkinson is your guy. Or Alex Steffens is your girl - 24 year old Class A Professional, knows her shit!
    ~*Leah*~

My Ride
    Mom-van

Oh, and for any of you that are looking for some competition, my tour expanded this year and we have a bunch of options and different flights for every skill level. A couple of you guys played an event or 2 last year which was awesome! Alberta Golf Tour - you can find it on Facebook, Twitter, or www.albertagolftour.com
    ~*Leah*~

My Ride
    Lariat

Masters weekend! Stoked!

Also, how do you all hold your clubs? I had always done baseball grip and I read up on the over lap (not the criss cross between pointer finger and pinky) and found it to be the most common. I tried it when I saw down in Scottsdale a few weeks ago and I found it helped. I didn't have as much power with my irons but the ball would go where I wanted it to.
    Last edited by asp integra; 04-09-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Exploded.

I do linked pinky/index. Helps stabilize my downswing. Pitching is overlap though.

My Ride
    Mom-van

I switched from baseball to overlap last year. My swing was just way off and my grip felt off too. More consistent with my short irons but couldn't swing my longer clubs for some reason. Jury is still out for me.
    ~*Leah*~

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Was out at XFactor last night. Aside from a few horrendous shanks, I am playing better than I expected for this early in the season. Always have a slow swing speed, but as long as I club-up my irons, it's not that much of a handicap.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Grimace

I have a stupid question, I was going to get the golf net they have at costco so I can practice in my backyard along with the range. I am guessing I shouldn't be using real golf balls, just practices ones?

My Ride
    04 EP3'

Originally posted by schocker
    I have a stupid question, I was going to get the golf net they have at costco so I can practice in my backyard along with the range. I am guessing I shouldn't be using real golf balls, just practices ones?
    as long as the net can sustain the impact from a real golf ball, i would recommend using a real ball. you would get a better feel from using a real golf ball

Originally posted by schocker

maybe you should buy three nets Matt, one in front and behind you incase those real golf balls shoot out 90 degrees from the direction they should be going

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by colinxx235
    maybe you should buy three nets Matt, one in front and behind you incase those real golf balls shoot out 90 degrees from the direction they should be going
    Ya probably. Last time I went golfing I lost ~13 golf balls and the vendor just giving me more sleeves

I will start with foam balls then and switch to normal balls once I stop screwing up my swing.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I used to lose a couple sleeves a round. Found that playing a more defensive, course managemnt style helped, and I'm down to one or two lost per fround usually.
    Unless it's one of those "industry" tournaments, then I generally get hammered and lose a dozen balls. It's times like that when playing cheaper balls really pays off. Losing 12 proV1's would hurt, a dozen noodles is much easier to take.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 04-09-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Grimace

I have had a problem recently with aiming as in nice straight shot with all the distance I need, but somehow I was aiming 50ft to the left of the green so it ends up on the wrong hole. I have just been using those cheap nike balls though which is nice.

^

which nike ones were you using?

I can't hit those SFT, swing speed to high.

Black vapors my favorite for soso price

My bad day/cheap balls last year were Callaway HX hots, like $30 for a double dozen. Worked pretty good for price.

Callaway hex chrome blacks were nice for the good days or the Penta TP5s

My Ride
    Grimace

Yeah, i use the sfts as they were cheap the last time I bought balls. I will probably use them until I get better

Do balls really make that much of a difference? I usually use whatever freebies I can snag from the salesman..

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Do balls really make that much of a difference? I usually use whatever freebies I can snag from the salesman..

Yupppp, once you get consistent you will notice certain balls do different things. Depends on your swing/power.

All the soft balls I find spin too much with the woods, and with wedges they get beat up super fast and skin peels easily.

I try to find a middle priced ball I like and stick with it until it is discontinued. Then I get the odd dozen thrown in from vendors or what not.
    The V1s are a great ball to hit, I just don't want to spend 55 for a dozen. Ive been hitting nike black vapors for 3 (I think) seasons now. But those balls are discontinued now, so eventually i'll be looking for something else. I have about 3 dozen left.

I hit the taylor made rocketballz rbz or whatever last year (green right on ball) those impressed me a lot, might be the next ones I switch to. Got some extra yardage on the drives and was impressed with the wedge control into the green

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast