Quantcast
Porsche 944 Support group...LOL - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche 944 Support group...LOL

Default Porsche 944 Support group...LOL

So last fall I purchased a 1985.5 Porsche 944 Coupe as a project
    car.

As driving season is soon upon us i am trying to get to the critical items required in order to make the car somewhat reliable.

Next on the list is the timing / balance belts.

Does any one on here have some of the porsche specific tools required for this job.

Namely

Flywheel lock and pulley wrench.

I would be looking to borrow / rent both in the upcoming months for a couple weeks in order to finish the job.

I know i can have the work done at a garage but as this is a project vehicle I was hopping to do some of the work myself.

If there is a like minded person out there, maybe we could work out a labor exchange.

I help you, you help me kind of thing...

Drop me a pm if you can / need help.

Cheers !!!

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

Wish I had started one of these when I had a 944 turbo :p

My Ride
    Goes Vrr and PShh.

You can find of all the information you're ever going to need at renegadehybrids.com/ there you will find all the information how to swap in an LsX of your choice and save yourself a bunch of money.

My Ride

Originally posted by FunWheelDrive
    You can find of all the information you're ever going to need at renegadehybrids.com/ there you will find all the information how to swap in an LsX of your choice and save yourself a bunch of money.
    Good luck getting an LS swap done for less than 10g and a full year, especially if the OP is lacking the tools to do a timing belt. And unless you are clever with it all, you will have a car that drives like shit.

OP there are two pulley wrenches, I believe they are 27mm and 32mm, and you should be able to sneak a crescent wrench in there if you don't have those. No need for a flywheel lock, just have a friend throw it in gear and hold the brakes to get the pulley bolt off.

While you're in their, replace any of the seals that leak or sweat- cheap and easy now, PITA later. Also do the water pump. When you reinstall the crank pulley bolt, do not anti seize it and tighten it very hard, it is part of the oil pump drive.

Good luck with the project, and stay away from truck engines. No need for a swap, especially if you are still learning.

My Ride
    Goes Vrr and PShh.

You could easily do an LsX swap for less then half of that 10,000 you said. The swap kit is 2500, spent the extra 1000 and you have the coolant package and headers. The kit comes with a clever clutch disc and input shaft bearing so you re-use the factory 944 gear box ( a big cost in the LSX swaps normally, the T56.) so you can go buy a aluminum 5.3 out of a junk yard, Z06 cam, and springs and retainers, EFI LIVE and you'll make 300rwhp all day long. I know building those Porsche motors is pricey and hard to find parts for. Seems like LsX swaps into everything is getting more and more common though.

My Ride
    G37X

You could easily do an LsX swap for less then half of that 10,000 you said. The swap kit is 2500, spent the extra 1000 and you have the coolant package and headers. The kit comes with a clever clutch disc and input shaft bearing so you re-use the factory 944 gear box ( a big cost in the LSX swaps normally, the T56.) so you can go buy a aluminum 5.3 out of a junk yard, Z06 cam, and springs and retainers, EFI LIVE and you'll make 300rwhp all day long. I know building those Porsche motors is pricey and hard to find parts for. Seems like LsX swaps into everything is getting more and more common though.
    Yeah, but who wants a reliable, cheap to upgrade,
    mod loving, lightweight and compact, mean sounding
    "truck engine"

Oh wait, that sounds perfectly logical!

My Ride

How about the hydroboost to have decent brakes? Or the fact that no aftermarket headers actually fit in the narrow engine bay? Dropping the sub frame and correcting suspension geometry to fit the intake under the hood?

And after all that, you have a 300hp car with a 150hp chassis and a the weak NA tranny, an engine that is 60lbs heavier in a car you bought for its balance. Or you could get a turbo, put on a mild turbo upgrade and enjoy the same power level in a nicely sorted car

I'm quote familiar with what is necessary for a swap, a lot more than you are apparently. Maybe you should educate yourself on what it takes to do this properly before encouraging someone who is still learning to work in cars.

My Ride
    Goes Vrr and PShh.

Originally posted by TurboCarrera

How about the hydroboost to have decent brakes? Or the fact that no aftermarket headers actually fit in the narrow engine bay? Dropping the sub frame and correcting suspension geometry to fit the intake under the hood?

And after all that, you have a 300hp car with a 150hp chassis and a the weak NA tranny, an engine that is 60lbs heavier in a car you bought for its balance. Or you could get a turbo, put on a mild turbo upgrade and enjoy the same power level in a nicely sorted car

I'm quote familiar with what is necessary for a swap, a lot more than you are apparently. Maybe you should educate yourself on what it takes to do this properly before encouraging someone who is still learning to work in cars.
    You can buy the custom headers in their kit, and it comes with a custom subframe. Does come with a sway bar drop kit to clear the pan, I haven't heard issues with the guys who have done the swap with brake problems. I'm sorry for being uneducated, just trying to help a guy out. There is also a turbo 944 transaxle for sale on kijiji right now which would hold a mild LSX all day long. You could throw a turbo on the stock 944 motor. When it blows up (everybody gets greedy with boost) how much for a new one? Hey, to each there own. I bet you he would learn a lot more about working on cars swapping in an LSX, building the fuel system, building it mechanically ect, then basic maintenance. Depends on how much he really want to learn I suppose. I am a fan of the engine in the Porsche 944 Turbos, they're just super expensive to maintain. I just like, cheap, reliable, easy horsepower. I know I learned a lot when I did an old SBF swap into my old FC. Also realized how much fun and badass a v8 swapped light little car can be. I wasn't all about the road course though, just a daily driven summer car that fired up everyday. So adding the extra 60lbs didn't make a difference that I ever felt in the car.
    Last edited by FunWheelDrive; 03-08-2014 at 04:49 PM.

Well this went sideways in a hurry...
    Thanks fellas.

Should i start another thread and let you continue the pissing match in this one ?
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Yeah, but who wants a reliable, cheap to upgrade,
    mod loving, lightweight and compact, mean sounding
    "truck engine"

Oh wait, that sounds perfectly logical!
    Don't bother trying to argue with porsche fanatics, they almost never buy into the concept of an american v8
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

In an effort to keep things on topic.....

I bought the princess auto pin wrench set when I had my 944 - it fit the balance shaft pulleys perfectly and left lots of room to get a socket wrench on the bolts.

As for the flywheel lock I always used a helper and a large flat-head screwdriver to hold the flywheel stationary. The flywheel locks are available from pelican or other parts suppliers pretty cheap if you're doing the job yourself just make sure to leave time for shipping
    I forget how the layout of the flywheel/PP bolts is, but can you bolt on a piece of angle iron and let it wedge against the bellhousing through the starter hole? I've used that trick lots of times before.

Is the engine in or out of the car?
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Originally posted by Zero102
    In an effort to keep things on topic.....

I bought the princess auto pin wrench set when I had my 944 - it fit the balance shaft pulleys perfectly and left lots of room to get a socket wrench on the bolts.

As for the flywheel lock I always used a helper and a large flat-head screwdriver to hold the flywheel stationary. The flywheel locks are available from pelican or other parts suppliers pretty cheap if you're doing the job yourself just make sure to leave time for shipping
    I forget how the layout of the flywheel/PP bolts is, but can you bolt on a piece of angle iron and let it wedge against the bellhousing through the starter hole? I've used that trick lots of times before.

Is the engine in or out of the car?
    Engine is in the car...

No worries about shipping...

I am collecting items now to do the work sometime in May I think...

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

If the engine was out I'd just say to impact gun the crank bolt off, but unless you pull the rad and A/C condenser you won't be able to do that with it in the car. Flywheel lock is your best bet. There are probably universal ones at some parts / performance parts stores, or just order one from pelican or similar. They are pretty cheap.
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

Yeah, I think pelican will be getting a big order from me in the next few weeks.

If you are interested I could buy a bunch of beer and have a belt changing party LOL.

I could use all the technical advice i can get.

Also a great way to meet new people...LOL
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport

Originally posted by TurboCarrera

OP there are two pulley wrenches, I believe they are 27mm and 32mm, and you should be able to sneak a crescent wrench in there if you don't have those. No need for a flywheel lock, just have a friend throw it in gear and hold the brakes to get the pulley bolt off.

While you're in their, replace any of the seals that leak or sweat- cheap and easy now, PITA later. Also do the water pump. When you reinstall the crank pulley bolt, do not anti seize it and tighten it very hard, it is part of the oil pump drive.

Good luck with the project, and stay away from truck engines. No need for a swap, especially if you are still learning.

Thanks for the advice.

You may have already worked on this car as it was at Alpine for oil cooler seals and a new clutch cylinder this past winter.

I was thinking about sending it back to you guys, but its not really a project car to me if a shop does all the work.

After i screw it up you can charge me double to fix it all....LOL

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Timing belt changing party sounds fun but I've got a stereo to install in my sister's car, I have to get my auto-x car ready for the season, I have some house maintenance to take care of and I have 3 kids. It'd probably be August before I'll have any time for something like that

My Ride
    Subaru!

Hey dudes! I have an '83 944 that I've basically abandoned, and want to start parting out. I have a brand new head and engine rebuild kit that I wouldn't mind getting rid of, plus some extras (rear brakes and such). If anyone is looking for a parts car, or parts in general, shoot me a pm.

My Ride
    LS2 swapped 944 Turbo

Great thread, nice to see the 944 guys here. We've got a good group of 924/944/951 guys in Edmonton that all wrench and help each other out. Hopefully some of you will make it up to Castrol this year.
    1987 951 - M193 Version for Japan

Quick bump as the snow is melting.

Cheers.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport

had a 944 v8. Loved it. It wasn't track worthy, so I got a z06. Loved that. If you aren't mechanical and plan to race, thats a tough spot to be in. If you have mechanical friends who are willing to help you, the 944 v8 is the way to go. There are about 10 guys on this board that could notice 60lbs in a 3000lb car. THere are also affordable things to do to move 60 lbs.

look up 944hybrids or whatever the new board is. RH while once a good place to get information, are basically not doing 944's anymore. Texas performance concepts is it now.

Would love to get another, but have my hands full with the miata v8....
    ----------------------------------

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast