Quantcast
Boeing 777 Missing in Asia - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 32 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Boeing 777 Missing in Asia

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Default Boeing 777 Missing in Asia

Flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing lost contact at 2:40am their time (9:15am there now) plane would have run out of fuel by now. Search and rescue is searching in the hope of rescuing. 239 people on board.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/world/...html?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- A passenger flight carrying 239 people from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing is missing and would likely have run out of fuel, Malaysia Airlines said Saturday.

"At the moment we have no idea where this aircraft is right now," Malaysia Airlines Vice President of Operations Control Fuad Sharuji said on CNN's "AC360."

Subang Air Traffic Control lost contact with Flight MH370 at about 2:40 a.m. local time (1:40 p.m. ET Friday), Sharuji said.

"We tried to call this aircraft through various means," he said.

The Boeing 777-200 departed Kuala Lumpur International Airport at 12:41 a.m. and was expected to land in Beijing at 6:30 a.m., a 2,300-mile (3,700 kilometer) trip. It was carrying 227 passengers, two of them infants, and 12 crew members, the airline said.

At the time of its disappearance, the plane was carrying about 7.5 hours of fuel, Sharuji said.

"Malaysia Airlines is currently working with the authorities who have activated their Search and Rescue team to locate the aircraft," the statement said. The public can call +603 7884 1234 for further information.

Efforts to contact the plane were fruitless.

"We deeply regret that we have lost all contacts" with the jet, said CEO Ahmad Juahari Yahya in a statement.

The airline said in a statement that its representatives were contacting the relatives of those aboard. "Focus of the airline is to work with the emergency responders and authorities and mobilize its full support," it said.

"We're closely monitoring reports on Malaysia flight MH370," Boeing said in a tweet. "Our thoughts are with everyone on board."

"It doesn't sound very good," retired American Airlines Capt. Jim Tilmon told CNN's "AC360." He noted that the route is mostly overland, which means that there would be plenty of antennae, radar and radios to contact the plane.

"I've been trying to come up with every scenario that I could just to explain this away, but I haven't been very successful."

He said the plane is "about as sophisticated as any commercial airplane could possibly be," with an excellent safety record.

There is one recent blemish: An Asiana Airlines Boeing 777 carrying 291 passengers struck a seawall at San Francisco International Airport in July 2013, killing three people and wounding dozens more.

China's state-run Xinhua News Agency reported that Chinese aviation authorities had confirmed that 160 Chinese nationals were aboard the plane, which was lost from radar in airspace controlled by Vietnam.

China's embassy in Malaysia has formed an emergency team headed by the Chinese ambassador to deal with the incident, it said.

Malaysia Airlines operates in Southeast Asia, East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East and on the route between Europe and Australasia.

The airline's roots date back to 1937, when it operated passenger and cargo flights in Malaysia.

In April 1942, it was incorporated as Malaysia Airways Limited; it later became Malaysia Airlines.

The airline has its headquarters and registered office at Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport in Subang, Malaysia, and its main airline hub is at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, according to its website.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

MAS has always had a great track record also flown with them basically everytime going to visit family, it's pretty shocking actually that it's 'missing', usually means the worst.

The ELT has to be going off at least though. Basically all jungle that route. Godspeed to them.

edit: apparently last supposed comm and signal was 2 hrs over the Gulf of Thailand at normal cruising ~470-490kts/35000ft. Then suddenly plunged 200 meters and that was it. Hopefully that was a ditching maneuver.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by n1zm0; 03-07-2014 at 08:41 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Doesn't sound good.

My Ride
    4x4

News is now saying 2 canadians onboard.

What would cause sudden lack of contact like this? I am thinking explosion??

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by AndyL
    News is now saying 2 canadians onboard.
    Does it really matter thought? I mean sure there is an outside chance it may be related to someone you know, but when the news says this, its almost like they value Canadian's life more than the other 230some people who probably perished. It's a tragedy overall for everyone involved.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Vietnamese Navy is being reported as having found wreckage in the Gulf of Thailand.
    Last edited by Go4Long; 03-08-2014 at 12:16 AM.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Lots of conflicting reports out there at the moment. Sudden disappearance from radar at cruise altitude likely indicates sudden midair breakup or explosion, but it'll be some time before we know for sure.

Originally posted by eblend
    Does it really matter thought? I mean sure there is an outside chance it may be related to someone you know, but when the news says this, its almost like they value Canadian's life more than the other 230some people who probably perished. It's a tragedy overall for everyone involved.
    Dude you have some serious issues. The posted breakdown of people is by country. Why you are trying to spin this into some grand western life vs eastern life is beyond me.

China - 153 (including 1 infant)
    Malaysia - 38
    Indonesia - 12
    Australia -7
    USA - 4 (including 1 infant)
    France - 3
    Canada - 2
    New Zealand - 2
    Ukraine - 2
    Russian - 1
    Italy - 1
    Taiwan -1
    Austria - 1
    Netherlands - 1
    You must have your head shoved so far up those crazed conspiracy forums you can't even be rational for half a second. This has nothing to do with western vs eastern. Really though with all your hatred towards western societies what the hell are you doing living here?

In either case a real tragedy which remind me a lot of the air france flight that crashed around Brazil.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

N. Koreans?

My Ride
    S14|TB1

^Nowhere close to DPRK

Again, MAS and 777 both have impeccable service records, really intriguing imo now wtf happened. No major accidents on a 777 for 20 years, clear weather, pilot had 18000 hrs, extra fuel on board for the 6 hr flight...

From reddit

Edit: my mother(in Malaysia) says local news reports missions have become a recovery operations by Vietnamese, Filipino and Malaysian navies.

Local alert in the area shows:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Last edited by n1zm0; 03-08-2014 at 01:59 AM.

My Ride
    FD1

National post says it crashed in the south china sea.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Yikes still not found. Hopefully found soon. Thoughts are with the families and survivors.

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Yikes. Just flew back from Japan and this was one of my worries. I hope everyone is okay!

RIP

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Stolen+...112/story.html

MILAN - Foreign ministry officials in Rome and Vienna confirm that names of two nationals listed on the manifest of the missing Malaysian airlines flight match passports reported stolen in Thailand.

Italy's Foreign Ministry said Saturday that an Italian man whose name was listed as being aboard is travelling in Thailand and was not aboard the plane.

A foreign ministry functionary, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed Italian reports that Luigi Maraldi had reported his passport stolen last August.

Italian news agency ANSA says Maraldi called home after hearing reports that an Italian with his name was aboard the plane.

Austrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Martin Weiss confirmed that a name listed on the manifest matches an Austrian passport reported stolen two years ago in Thailand. Weiss would not confirm the identity.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

The plot thickens

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:19 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

This just potentially turned into the coolest story I've ever heard. Imagine 200-odd people on the run from the law buy every ticket on a plane with fake/stolen passports, disable all communication and go start new lives somewhere. Con-Air 2, starring Nicorus Cage and Xian Buscemi.

More likely it was full of innocent people and was hijacked or something, but I can dream.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Speculation:

- bomb\missile
    - pilot suicide
    - structural failure
    - catastrophic failure of flight control computer/inertial sensor (ADIRU); this happened on a MH flight in 2005 causing uncommanded movements while the plane was in autopilot mode, nearly causing a loss of control. AD was issued that was supposed to rectify the problem.

Weather was supposedly good at the time of departure and over the last contact area.
    Last edited by revelations; 03-08-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Page 1 of 32 1 2 11 ... LastLast