Quantcast
Boeing 777 Missing in Asia - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Boeing 777 Missing in Asia

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by Cos
    Terrorism?
    Could be, although Malaysia is predominantly Muslim country, it does have its enemies within the region, mostly southern Philippines, MNLF and Sultanate of Sulu have had recent clashes in East Malaysia, but I don't see them doing something this big over their cause, but then again these guys also have ties to Abu Sayyaf and Jemaah Islamic, 2 groups who are entirely capable of taking down a passenger jet. Abu Sayyaf took my aunt's workers hostage early in 2000, scary stuff since those guys are Al Qaeda trained.

My Ride
    4x4

Oh... The Zenops/Arash of the world are working overtime...

With NK's test firing of a missle thursday (pissing off china - came within 200km of one of their passenger jets) - all kinds of shoot down / forced down theories, reports of it landing everywhere from australia to Kazakhstan and I really liked the report of moscow and kiev personally...

I gotta stop looking at youtubes and tinfoilhat sites

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

The Gulf of Thailand is very shallow (40m average depth) which should make recovery efforts far easier than AF447 (which went down in 4+ km of water).

My Ride
    Has AWD

its a very sad part of life when so many are lost like that. All we can do is hope the pilots were able to make an emergency landing without losing everybody on board.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Hope this isn't terrorism, but with Italians and Austrians saying "Our guy wasn't on the plane, their passports had been stolen..." definitely makes it sound suspicious. Another thing I had read, is that this was a code shared flight with China Southern, and the tickets sold to the people with "stolen passports", were sold by China Southern not by MH.

From the WSJ:

One passenger was traveling with a stolen Austrian passport, Austria's Foreign Ministry said Saturday. A 30-year-old Austrian whose name was on the passenger list for the flight wasn't on board. His passport was stolen in Thailand in 2012, a ministry spokesman said, confirming a report in German newspaper Die Welt.

Another passenger on the list, Italian Luigi Maraldi, was also not on the plane, Italy's Foreign Ministry said Saturday. Mr. Maraldi's passport was stolen in Thailand a year and a half ago, his father said.

One European security official said it wasn't uncommon for passengers to board flights using stolen passports.

Terrible thing for everyone involved.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by revelations

- catastrophic failure of flight control computer/inertial sensor (ADIRU); this happened on a MH flight in 2005 causing uncommanded movements while the plane was in autopilot mode, nearly causing a loss of control. AD was issued that was supposed to rectify the problem.
    This has nothing to do with the crash (or maybe it does?), but is an excellent video about exactly this sort of thing. The cliff notes is that these days pilots don't really know how to fly like they should, and depend on automation far too much.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

This has nothing to do with the crash (or maybe it does?), but is an excellent video about exactly this sort of thing. The cliff notes is that these days pilots don't really know how to fly like they should, and depend on automation far too much.

its a very sad truth.......

My Ride
    S14|TB1

I remember at the FTU I worked at, the autopilot was broken on a few aircraft, these new PPL trainees were complaining that they wanted it fixed, our CFI at the time sat them all down and basically said, 'you're here to learn how to fly an airplane, not to press a button and enjoy the scenery'

My Ride

however this isnt AS true for Canadian pilots as it is for the pilots in the rest of the world.

Most pilots from Canada HAVE to spend years in the bush flying in shit you will never see on a long haul and thus have earned their striped from the school of hard knocks.

I remember seeing incredible offers for low-time Canadian pilots in SE Asia years ago, not sure if thats the case still.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by revelations

however this isnt AS true for Canadian pilots as it is for the pilots in the rest of the world.

Most pilots from Canada HAVE to spend years in the bush flying in shit you will never see on a long haul and thus have earned their striped from the school of hard knocks.
    Troof! An old friend of mine from High school days wanted to get into WestJet and the route he was taking was bush pilot stuff, lots of cargo runs all over the world so he could earn his hours and get a job with WestJet. I remember being a kid and getting to ride jumper seat up front behind the pilots on a WestJet flight and getting to listen to all the radio chatter stuff and the weather update system while they did their approach and thru the landing, it was so kewl, almost everything done manually with minimal BS autopilot stuff.

My Ride
    4x4

Originally posted by MGCM
    [B]
    I remember being a kid and getting to ride jumper seat up front behind the pilots on a WestJet flight and getting to listen to all the radio chatter
    ROFL... Dating myself here but best part of childhood for me was getting to grab the jump seat on wardair DC10's

And the one time I got the flight engineers chair - now I'm dating myself

When I was an air traffic controller back in 93-95 when it was still under Transport Canada, I too always rode the jump seats. Back then pre 9/11 it was easy peasy, and as an ATC you got a lot of perks from the airlines with regards to this. Some guys even could board without tickets, although I never tried this being to new and junior, but often old hands would just walk on board with the pilots and sit in the jump seat, or in the heavies, the old eng. seat if it was there. Mostly I did it in the old DC9's myself.

Good times.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 03-08-2014 at 05:22 PM.

My Ride
    93 integra

Same with a buddy of mine, getting all his hours flying up north in nwt and area.

Very sad to hear of this many people going down with the plane.

Curious to know the rest of the story though.

My Ride
    G6

Not the greatest thing to read considering I'm flying tomorrow, but this story's crazy! Still no confirmed crash! Beginning to sound like a certain TV show I used to watch...

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by Feruk
    Not the greatest thing to read considering I'm flying tomorrow, but this story's crazy! Still no confirmed crash! Beginning to sound like a certain TV show I used to watch...
    No offense but, there was a car accident somewhere today too so don't drive to the airport.....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

Any predictions on the Boeing stock? Not trying to make fun of the situation just curious

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

Originally posted by roll_over
    Any predictions on the Boeing stock? Not trying to make fun of the situation just curious
    The 777 has an excellent safety record over thousands of flights. I don't see this having much of an impact.

My Ride

Originally posted by roll_over
    Stock of MH and Boeing will likely dip a touch... perhaps 1%???

in before Arash, it was the queen's navy that shot it down

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast