Quantcast
MBA - Haskayne - Evening - 2014 September - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: MBA - Haskayne - Evening - 2014 September

Default MBA - Haskayne - Evening - 2014 September

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anybody else will be beginning their MBA (evening program) this coming September? I wouldn't mind to meet up with you sometime, say hi, and grab a beer.

I've wrestled with myself over when to start school and which stream (daytime vs. evening) for the past 2 years. Initially, I was planning on completing the daytime program, as I was told I could complete the program in two years; one year of which would be full time (10 months) and the other year would be in the evenings. Recently U of C told me it would be one year of full-time classes, followed by two years in the evening; yielding 3 years from start to finish.

Taking two years off work to complete two full-time years just isn't feasible, nor justifiable to me anyway.

The evening program takes 3 years; however, it doesn't involve me taking 10 months off of work. My scholarship will drop from $15,000 (daytime) to $5,000 (evening), but my employer is paying for half. In the end, tuition will cost me ~$11,000 instead of ~$1,000, but I'll also have 10 extra months of pay.

A bit of background...I switched out of a field position/project management role about a year ago; since then, I have been program managing, as well as completing large-scale database management implementation & maintenance projects for various O & G companies in Calgary. I do the back-end designing and building (manipulation) of the database software based on their needs, as well as work with them to improve reporting techniques, management improvements, business processing, etc. I absolutely love it because there are a few handfuls of people in Calgary who understand this software completely, but even fewer who understand the software and the industry in/outs as well.

Looking forward to it!
    Last edited by Env-Consultant; 03-08-2014 at 07:50 PM.

I've been thinking about doing an MBA, but felt like it was too early in my career up till now. I always found it odd that some people do an MBA 2-3 years out of university. If you don't mind me asking, how many years of experience do you have?

I will have 4 years of full-time work since moving to Calgary (all with the same company). I worked for the same company every summer for the 4 years before that, as well as for another consulting firm in downtown Edmonton part-time (2 days per week) during my last year of university. Definitely not right out of school and I've had a couple years of experience with estimating, project management, cost tracking, business development, business processes, software implementation, etc. - if you have ambition and want to try new things where I work, the owners will give you the opportunities.

My Ride
    ////M

Check your pm's
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

I saw it earlier, but I had a very late night last night and couldn't muster the mental strength to respond. Sent you a PM a few minutes ago.