Quantcast
quick stupid questions about JDM landcruisers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: quick stupid questions about JDM landcruisers

Default quick stupid questions about JDM landcruisers

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

to me, we've kinda hit the point where we're moving into the late 90's early 2000 vehicles, where I'm quite confidant with a number of vehicles, primarly Subaru, honda and Toyota.

In this case with the Prado above, I'm quite fimilar with the 5VZ, working on my friend's old 4runners and Taco's.

however in this application with the Prado... do you guys think this may in fact be a smart purchase? Or to look at these?

Are suspension, steering, componants and engine componants any different than what I could source locally?

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Default Re: quick stupid questions about JDM landcruisers

Originally posted by r3ccOs
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

to me, we've kinda hit the point where we're moving into the late 90's early 2000 vehicles, where I'm quite confidant with a number of vehicles, primarly Subaru, honda and Toyota.

In this case with the Prado above, I'm quite fimilar with the 5VZ, working on my friend's old 4runners and Taco's.

however in this application with the Prado... do you guys think this may in fact be a smart purchase? Or to look at these?

Are suspension, steering, componants and engine componants any different than what I could source locally?
    The Prado 90, the one you're looking at is similar to a 3rd generation 4Runner. Suspension should be similar, drivetrain for the most part should be (transmission, transfer case +or-). Steering rack will be different for obvious reasons.

I had a RHD vehicle a few years ago, my reservations are allocating parts, vehicle service manuals. (Repair and the ever important Wire diagrams). If you have those taken care of, then it shouldn't be a problem.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Problem is you can get a decent 3rd generation 4runner for 3-8,000 dollars. SR5 base to Limited. I'd personally prefer the 3rd gen limited to that specific landcruiser. The limited had a center differential and rear locking differential.

Hell there's FJ Cruisers for that JDM FJ90 money and they have full time AWD with the manual as well. Similar platform as the Prado and 3rd Gen 4runner.

A diesel FJ90 full load > Cheap FJ > 3rd Gen 4runner LTD > Plain FJ90

I bring in JDMs vehicles for myself and have to say that Prado is overpriced by at least $2500-3000, and that's taking into account that yes it's here in person, and OOP has been done.

The 3.4L gasoline variants actually sell for cheaper at auction in Japan because they are less desirable vs the 3L turbo diesel, which are in more demand from the African purchasers.
    Last edited by Cooked Rice; 03-24-2014 at 02:34 AM.

Buy that Prado for the badge, nothing more. It is essentially the exact same as a 3rd gen 4Runner. For less money you can get a clean 3rd gen limited with locking rear diffs and fully loaded. Keep in mind that since the suspension is the same, it still has the same lower ball joint weakness as the 4Runner. Being an auto transmission it might also have the pink milkshake flaw.

The real Land Cruisers in this price range would include the 80 series, 100 series. However since the Prado is same as a 4Runner, fuel economy would be much better. Still a great truck, just very overpriced.

What everyone said.
    I can't see what makes this better than a 3rd Gen 4Runner other than the fact that you have a Land Cruiser.

Personally speaking, The Prado series are my least favorite of the Land Crusiers.

For that money you can get your hands on a kick-ass-and-take-names diesel 80 series.

fair enough...

thanks for the input...
    out of curiosity, are there any real restrictions around driving RHD and insurance these days?

I did see a low KM one well priced out in the peg, and I happen to have a few friends, one who's a mechanic who can have a look at it for me.

Ball joints? sure, thats probably something that can be changed perodically and quite easily, but I've heard things about the transmission and transfer case in the 3rd gen 4runners that perhaps I have to watch out for.

What is this pink milkshake thing?
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 03-25-2014 at 10:47 AM.

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

fair enough...

thanks for the input...
    out of curiosity, are there any real restrictions around driving RHD and insurance these days?

I did see a low KM one well priced out in the peg, and I happen to have a few friends, one who's a mechanic who can have a look at it for me.

Ball joints? sure, thats probably something that can be changed perodically and quite easily, but I've heard things about the transmission and transfer case in the 3rd gen 4runners that perhaps I have to watch out for.

What is this pink milkshake thing?
    The transmission/Transfer case is pretty stout. You just have to make sure to go through all the ranges to make sure everything engages smoothly. Especially if it's the Multimode 4WD found in the 99-00 4Runner Limited, go through all the ranges, and work the rear diff lock. Most of the time, people don't even go into 4LOW ever, that's where you want to make sure everything works. I'm not sure if Multimode is found in the Prado 90, it may or may not.

Pink Milkshake is common on all 3rd gen 4Runner due to the seal in the radiator (little O-Ring) ruptures and allows coolant to mix with transmission fluid, or vice versa. If coolant mixes with the transmission fluid, that kills the transmission quickly. The fix for that is to replace the radiator as a precaution, OR bypass the radiator with an aftermarket transmission cooler. I bypassed the radiator on my 99' 4Runner.

Hope this helps

My Ride
    1998 5VZ-FE

Originally posted by CelicaST-162

The transmission/Transfer case is pretty stout. You just have to make sure to go through all the ranges to make sure everything engages smoothly. Especially if it's the Multimode 4WD found in the 99-00 4Runner Limited, go through all the ranges, and work the rear diff lock. Most of the time, people don't even go into 4LOW ever, that's where you want to make sure everything works. I'm not sure if Multimode is found in the Prado 90, it may or may not.

Pink Milkshake is common on all 3rd gen 4Runner due to the seal in the radiator (little O-Ring) ruptures and allows coolant to mix with transmission fluid, or vice versa. If coolant mixes with the transmission fluid, that kills the transmission quickly. The fix for that is to replace the radiator as a precaution, OR bypass the radiator with an aftermarket transmission cooler. I bypassed the radiator on my 99' 4Runner.

Hope this helps
    Sorry a little off topic, but did you use an external trans cooler? and if you did, do you remember which on you used because I would like to do it for my 98 4runner.

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

Originally posted by Hage69

Sorry a little off topic, but did you use an external trans cooler? and if you did, do you remember which on you used because I would like to do it for my 98 4runner.
    Yes, I did. I picked up the biggest cooler from PartSource, I believe the brand was "Mr Transmission". If you do a search on the 3rd gen section of T4R.org, there are lots of threads in regards to the "strawberry milkshake"

My Ride
    E90 335xi, ZX-10R

fair enough...

thanks for the input...
    The biggest thing about insurance on RHD vehicles is that you can only get 3rd party liability (basic insurance). You can't get collision or theft insurance AFAIK. There was a thread not too long ago where this came up.