Quantcast
Oil and Gas in Alberta designing new Alberta education curriculum - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil and Gas in Alberta designing new Alberta education curriculum

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default Oil and Gas in Alberta designing new Alberta education curriculum

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Oh wow, another completely misleading thread title.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by FraserB
    Oh wow, another completely misleading thread title.
    How? I can't type the whole paragraph up there.

Wtf busienss does Ceonvus or Suncor have inputing on grade 3 curriculum?

My Ride
    You Crazy

I can just see the new textbooks....

Susy has 5 barrels of crude. At $96 a barrel, how much would Susy get selling the oil?

Lol. Nothing like starting the imprinting young.

Critics say they’re worried about the direction of Alberta’s massive overhaul of school curriculum after it was revealed Tuesday major oil companies are being consulted on changes.

A document posted to the Alberta Education website indicates companies such as Syncrude Canada, Cenovus Energy and Suncor Energy are included among partners “in helping draft Alberta’s future curriculum for our students” from kindergarten to Grade 12.

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

You should work in media you goof, that is the worst misleading thread title. Those companies are considered stakeholders (as they will be future employers) and will sit on committee that will help design. They aren't the only ones involved.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by USED1
    You should work in media you goof, that is the worst misleading thread title. Those companies are considered stakeholders (as they will be future employers) and will sit on committee that will help design. They aren't the only ones involved.
    Oh.... I'm sorry. 'Helping design'.

Better clownboy newbie?

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

Originally posted by Toma

Oh.... I'm sorry. 'Helping design'.

Better clownboy newbie?
    Actually, I've been around since '06, just don't repeatedly post troll threads such as yourself.

And I guess I could have worded it better as they are being consulted, assclown!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Ahh, so everyone in K-03 shouldn't even consider working anywhere but oil right? "Future stakeholders"... In children??? Holy fuck are you twisted.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Ahh, so everyone in K-03 should even consider working anywhere but oil right? "Future stakeholders"... Holy fuck are you twisted.
    Bah, just ANOTHER o&g worker that feels his lively hood is threatened by people that think there's a such thing as "over development", and believe in words like "moderation".

lol

I don't think the title is misleading. Corporations have ZERO business interfering with early education.

But this is timed perfect after my opinion in the other thread how the PC's destroying education will some day be used as justification for its privatization... like Health Care.

Now, another agenda has surfaced.

No biggie, just something to watch out for.

My Ride
    Grimace

What about stantec, pcl, Alberta construction association

Big employers will eventually employ people such as the adults these children grow into and are looking for them to have skills like math and science

My Ride

Doesn't matter the industry, none of them belong in elementary school. They want to have job fairs in high school, go for it, but shouldn't have anything to do with mandatory curriculum (k to gr.10)
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Doesn't matter the industry, none of them belong in elementary school. They want to have job fairs in high school, go for it, but shouldn't have anything to do with mandatory curriculum (k to gr.10)
    Exactly... Job fair in Grade 11 or 12, give your input on what is needed to institutions like SAIT for their programs.

Crooks, always looking for an "IN" it seem lol.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Depends on what the involvement is. If it's pushing a certain agenda, then there is obviously a case against it. But something like promoting trades is completely fine.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Depends on what the involvement is. If it's pushing a certain agenda, then there is obviously a case against it. But something like promoting trades is completely fine.
    In elementary?

It specifically says input in the curriculum redesign.

Thats nucking futs.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Introducing trades to kids at a young age is completely fine. People need to get their heads out of their ass and keep jamming their kids into university to get useless degrees or wind up as 1 of 1000 people applying for that EIT position. For some reason the trades are still stigmatized, which is completely baffling (especially in Alberta).

My Ride

Introducing trades to kids at a young age is completely fine. People need to get their heads out of their ass and keep jamming their kids into university to get useless degrees or wind up as 1 of 1000 people applying for that EIT position. For some reason the trades are still stigmatized, which is completely baffling (especially in Alberta).
    Yeah, but no 8yo is thinking of their future job, lol. Unless astronauts, hockey players, and princess are now considered trades

Really it's pushy parents that need re-education, not children.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Everyone should have some post secondary education.

Upto grade 12 is your foundation....building blocks. Past that is your chance at choosing your education or specialty, or passion. Even if its only a year or two.

Many countries have mandatory milirary service after high school. We are lucky to have the educational opportunity instead, and it would be irresponsible of any parent to not encourage this privilege.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

As an O&G worker, I'm pretty tired of working with people who can't correctly write or do not have basic math skills.

Considering that O&G companies provide so much future employment and see where skills are lacking after people graduate, I think it's a good thing they have input. As someone mentioned, if they're pushing an agenda that's something different, but I'm sure they're aware at how big of an uproar there would be if that were to happen.

I'm from a family of educators and sadly what they're taught to teach is different from what the corporate world needs. I'm not saying everyone is expected to end up in corporate, but I am saying that businesses should be just as influential on the curriculum as music, dance, or art.

If the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra were involved, no one would be demonizing them!

My Ride
    Grimace

I am assuming these large companies have an idea on defficiencies they see in the work force and areas that could be concentrated more on ie math and science not a new core class called oil and gas and you for 12 years.

If getting input from the O&G industry is bad, even though they draw heavily on math in all areas of their business, then what other segment should they draw on that wouldn't gain the same negative attention? Investment and banking would be a big no if you hate O&G, capitalist pigs right? Should we gather up all the starbucks barrista's with psychology degrees to establish a new way of learning? I'm pretty sure the curriculum in place right now came from the touchy feely types.

You're thinking indoctrination and forgetting about the wealth of knowledge those companies can provide. You're thinking traders and money money money and forgetting about the engineers, analysts, accountants, and other professional designations representing these companies.

EDIT: Just realized my entire post is based on a math only arguement...must have that on the brain from the other thread and the news this morning. My argument still stands, though the barrista's can help with Art curriculum. Better right?
    Last edited by syscal; 03-12-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast