Quantcast
Chromecast Now Available! - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Chromecast Now Available!

I've been using the CC for quite some time now...

1) You can stream to any screen that the CC is connected to.
    2) From a PC you have two options, browser mirroring or from PLEX
    3) It certainly does 5.1 but no DTS
    4) Screen mirroring works great with no sync issues. If you have issues its your WIFI strength or router configs.
    5) I see no appreciable reduction in quality when streaming 1080P MKV's
    6) Using AllCast you can stream pretty much anything you can play on your phone to the chromecast including files on the phone itself

Its truely an amazing device for only $40 however if you are just getting ready to purchase now, i suggest getting the Google TV box instead. Its $100 but it allows native applications to be played right off the device. Think roku+chromecast in one package.

Thanks Spike, maybe I will try the Chromecast. It's dirt cheap and I can always return it if there are any surprises.

I wanted something more portable than a Google TV or another WDTV box, so I could watch anything from my Phone/Tablet on the big screen with proper 5.1 sound without plugging in via MHL.

I also really wanted to mirror VLC to a TV but doesn't sound like that's happening anytime soon.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Thanks Spike, maybe I will try the Chromecast. It's dirt cheap and I can always return it if there are any surprises.

I wanted something more portable than a Google TV or another WDTV box, so I could watch anything from my Phone/Tablet on the big screen with proper 5.1 sound without plugging in via MHL.

I also really wanted to mirror VLC to a TV but doesn't sound like that's happening anytime soon.
    You have to be careful about portability as this chromecast MUST have an internet connection AND on the same connection as the casting device. If you are also required to log in through some sort of login portal you will have to do some MAC cloning to have the chromecast get the connection (ie, hotels)

If the internet requirement is of no concern i think you will be 100% happy with the chromecast. If you will not have an internet connection 100% of the time, then perhaps miracast (or MHL) might be your only option.

Also if VLC streaming from your computer is a huge concern, bite the bullet on setting up PLEX on the streaming computer. It will be exactly what you want (ie, local/network files initiated from a computer to a display).

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by J.M.

Are there any other options?

I want to mirror from my laptop to TV. So far I have come across Belkin Miracast Video Adapter and the Asus Miracast Dongle.

Was hoping to pick up Chromecast but doesn't seem like it would work for what I want to do?
    I have a Netgear PTV3000 and since the mirroring is thru a different adhoc network (not thru you own Wifi), my device seems to lag if I'm more than 7 ft away from the casting unit.

Under 5 ft seems to be the best.

Again, the compression make the screen quality looks like shit. It's a last resort kind of convenience.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Hmm, thanks guys - doesn't sound like it will do quite what I want.

There is a new Chromecast coming out, but google has said "users aren't likely to notice a difference" haha, so I can't really get excited about it.

Maybe I need to look more into Miracast dongles as well.
    I just backed this: Mozilla Matchstick , idk if it does what you want, also have to wait until Feb 2015 but it seems pretty damned 'unlocked' in terms of abilities.

Originally posted by Xtrema

I have a Netgear PTV3000 and since the mirroring is thru a different adhoc network (not thru you own Wifi), my device seems to lag if I'm more than 7 ft away from the casting unit.

Under 5 ft seems to be the best.

Again, the compression make the screen quality looks like shit. It's a last resort kind of convenience.
    I also have a PTV3000 that i picked up to play around with and the most recent update solved a lot of the stuttering/range issues i had with the unit. I dont use it hardly at all however as it is not as versatile as i need it to be.

Id sell it for cheap if someone wants one ($40)

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Bump

2 Chromecast for $65 at bestbuy. Can mix/match Chromecast Audio.
    Anyone have both Chromecast 2013&2015? Differences?

http://newsletter.bestbuy.ca/2015/pr...P=RZ-rz-151116

Originally posted by jwslam
    Bump

2 Chromecast for $65 at bestbuy. Can mix/match Chromecast Audio.
    Anyone have both Chromecast 2013&2015? Differences?

http://newsletter.bestbuy.ca/2015/pr...P=RZ-rz-151116
    I have both and honestly haven't noticed a difference. Both great devices but I wouldn't spend money replacing existing ones unless you have a reason to. In theory the wireless is better in the new one so if you were having connectivity issues or something prior then it might be worth upgrading.

I've had the new Chromecast since it came out, it's way faster, and there is zero lag when pausing/resuming Netflix because it keeps the video buffered (old Chromecast needs to reload the whole thing to resume). Shows also load in 1-2 seconds. Totally worth the $35, even if you had the old one. Functionality wise they are the same, the new one is just way faster and has better installation options. It supports the AC standard too.

It also is a little round disc that can hang from the cable, or attach onto itself, so if you have a TV where your only HDMI ports are on the edge, or if your TV is really close to the wall, this solves both issues that the old one caused aesthetically.

For how cheap these things are everyone should have one. Lots more apps support it now, and lately I've been using it exclusively for Netflix and NHL Gamecenter with zero issues.

Haven't tried the Chromecast Audio yet but it's literally 10X cheaper than the similar product from Sonos.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

I've had the new Chromecast since it came out, it's way faster, and there is zero lag when pausing/resuming Netflix because it keeps the video buffered (old Chromecast needs to reload the whole thing to resume).
    I wonder if audio lag on VLC is still an issue... that was my main beef with the original and why I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger on 2nd gen. I'm betting it's more app related but I've yet to see any information online about it.

Originally posted by jwslam

I wonder if audio lag on VLC is still an issue... that was my main beef with the original and why I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger on 2nd gen. I'm betting it's more app related but I've yet to see any information online about it.
    Doesn't VLC let you adjust the audio lag? You can on the PC version, not sure about the app. I've never tried casting VLC though so I haven't experienced it.

I hope the VLC app for PC gets Chromcast compatibility - that would be huge. I read it was coming a long time ago, and to my knowledge it's still not out.

Why would you guys want a chromecast when the Amazon Fire stick can do so much more ?

Edit - I was watching UFC 193 in HI Def via Amazon Fire Stick for free.. My Chromecast cant do that
    Last edited by BensonTT; 11-16-2015 at 10:35 AM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by BensonTT
    Why would you guys want a chromecast when the Amazon Fire stick can do so much more ?

Edit - I was watching UFC 193 in HI Def via Amazon Fire Stick for free.. My Chromecast cant do that
    Easier to get in Canada and nice to use netflix with the phone casting.

How do you do your sports streaming, sportsdevil via kodi? That is what I use on my FTV and it never works or has poor quality.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Originally posted by schocker

Easier to get in Canada and nice to use netflix with the phone casting.

How do you do your sports streaming, sportsdevil via kodi? That is what I use on my FTV and it never works or has poor quality.
    I'm curious as well. I have never found a consistent NHL stream to use on Kodi. I've tried mashup, phoenix and sportsdevil which I think is broken isn't it?

I don't mind the chromecast, I'm just annoyed by the lack of codec support for it. I get about 50% "oops something went wrong, codec not supported" when playing from my tablet via Kodi>Genesis>Localcast>Chromecast
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by TurboMedic

I'm curious as well. I have never found a consistent NHL stream to use on Kodi. I've tried mashup, phoenix and sportsdevil which I think is broken isn't it?

I don't mind the chromecast, I'm just annoyed by the lack of codec support for it. I get about 50% "oops something went wrong, codec not supported" when playing from my tablet via Kodi>Genesis>Localcast>Chromecast
    I would think the codec decoding is done on the tablet side. I will have to test again but I'm 99% sure I even had DTS working over Chromecast by casting the screen from VLC or MX player.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I would think the codec decoding is done on the tablet side. I will have to test again but I'm 99% sure I even had DTS working over Chromecast by casting the screen from VLC or MX player.
    I guess yah it could be a localcast issue. I'll have to look into seeing if I can use MX or so instead of LC as the handling app
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Grimace

I am pretty sure the codec has to be supported by the chromecast as I was having lots of issues with my NAS using the synology apps on certain files. Same files wouldn't play through xbox one either. Had to use WDTV then my firetv. Still need to setup the 4k firetv.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4