Quantcast
NEST Thermostat your thoughts appreciated - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: NEST Thermostat your thoughts appreciated

Originally posted by 95EG6P
    i was thinking about the getting the nest but it was too much and i got the honeywell one for 160 at home depot it has WiFi and the 7 days programmable schedule. the only thing that is the difference that i see is the nest is blue and my is green for the screen
    I bought the same one. It's large enough to completely cover the faded paint around the old unit's footprint.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by JustinMCS
    I have a Nest and love it.

You can't compare it to any other WiFi thermostat as this one has a colour screen and looks gorgeous.

Has it worked with all of your Iphone models?
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by sillysod
    The only advantage I can see is that it can be accessed by an app. So if you want to adjust the temp by 1 or 0.5 degrees you don't have to walk to the thermostat.
    I'm 100% sure that honeywell has a phone app for their wifi thermostat.
    Last edited by CapnCrunch; 03-20-2014 at 08:41 AM.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by CapnCrunch

I'm 100% sure that honeywell has a phone app for their wifi thermometer.
    Yeah I was just looking at it in Home Depot, looks pretty decent and has wifi and an app. LOL at the Nest looking better, I don't usually use my thermostat for entertainment, and I have never had anyone say "nice house, but man what a tacky thermostat", seems like a absurd thing to consider when choosing.

I just got one and quite like it so far. I like the remote capabilities but that's also available on others.

I also like the 'auto-away' functionality that detects if the house is empty and lowers the temp.

I didn't like the schedule it built so I turned off the auto-schedule and built my own schedule.

I found a rare sale on amazon.ca and got it for $225... still crazy $$$ for a thermostat though.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by hedge
    I just got one and quite like it so far. I like the remote capabilities but that's also available on others.

I also like the 'auto-away' functionality that detects if the house is empty and lowers the temp.

I didn't like the schedule it built so I turned off the auto-schedule and built my own schedule.

I found a rare sale on amazon.ca and got it for $225... still crazy $$$ for a thermostat though.
    So since basically the only advantage is the auto-schedule, and that didn't work, so in your application it is about as useful as a $50 programmable thermostat?

I want to justify getting a better thermostat, but if I wont save any money on bills over a normal programmable t.s. then it is actually a loss to buy one. I love gadgets, but this is a tough one to rationalize.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by GTS4tw

Yeah I was just looking at it in Home Depot, looks pretty decent and has wifi and an app. LOL at the Nest looking better, I don't usually use my thermostat for entertainment, and I have never had anyone say "nice house, but man what a tacky thermostat", seems like a absurd thing to consider when choosing.
    I didn't know that people buy thermostats as an accessory to their home decor. Everyone has priorities I guess, but some of them seem just ridiculous to me.

After reading this thread, I really can't see the benefit to a Nest over a regular programmable thermostat, aside from the wireless. Especially if it can't even talk well with home automation systems. Seems just as gimmicky as I assumed it was.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
    Been using one since Sept. Only thing I suggest is, if you can hook up the 24V line. Occasionally the unit disconnects from the wifi because the battery level is low, which can be remedied with hooking up the 24V line to the furnace board. But it only happens maybe once a month, so I didn't bother re-wiring it.
    You have to change the battery once a month?!?

So since basically the only advantage is the auto-schedule, and that didn't work, so in your application it is about as useful as a $50 programmable thermostat?

I want to justify getting a better thermostat, but if I wont save any money on bills over a normal programmable t.s. then it is actually a loss to buy one. I love gadgets, but this is a tough one to rationalize.
    For me, it was Auto-Away, Auto-schedule, Air-Wave (circulates air instead of heat/cool for that one or two degrees), Time to Temp (knowing how long it takes to get to temp based on outside conditions), and the app.

Originally posted by jwslam

Its rechargeable and only dies if doesn't have a 24v common (which most digital thermostats do now anyways).

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by jwslam

Make sure you have a common wire to the t-stat location, regular t-stats dont need one but anything that has wifi or zigbee capabilities will because it draws more power. For new builds I always tell the contractor to run 8 wire to each t-stat location then I run an ethernet cable to it as well so you don't have issues like that.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

If you have a thermostat on each level of your house do you require a Nest unit to replace each one? Or can one Nest "sync" with the others? Getting the flame suit on in case this is a stupid question

Well not sure you can get one with wifi for $50. I didn't buy it to save money on heating costs... I think that would take forever. I like the functionality and the whiz bang factor but no I didn't really expect a big ROI on it.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
    If you have a thermostat on each level of your house do you require a Nest unit to replace each one? Or can one Nest "sync" with the others? Getting the flame suit on in case this is a stupid question
    What kind of loser wouldn't want matching NEST thermostats throughout their home?

The new NEST models are coming out next Friday and they're having a midnight release at Home Depot. I'll be camping out from Wednesday on.

I'm thinking we should set up a beyond meet at the Beacon Hill Home Depot. Anyone interested?
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    TDI

NEST fanboys... sheesh...

I have android

My Ride
    Ford

I have this honeywell. has a remote that i leave in my kids room that controls the thermostat remotely. it also has an outdoor sensor that gives me the outside temp. obviously programmable.

and the remote

Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

Not to hijack but I just had a direct energy guy come offering a cap on winter months and a free nest if you sign up for 5 or more years. Anyone bite?

My Ride
    Ford

Originally posted by botox
    Not to hijack but I just had a direct energy guy come offering a cap on winter months and a free nest if you sign up for 5 or more years. Anyone bite?
    in edmonton the malls have a direct energy i think kiosk with free nest on signup or some other deal
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    Cummins F10

Nothing but great things to say about our nest.
    Works perfectly on my android
    Originally posted by Mibz
    The criteria for being a Beyond Baller is simply knowing you are one.
    Deleted F10 535d
    My hybrid burns Diesel & Oil

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast