Quantcast
Landlord taking rent out late - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Landlord taking rent out late

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by schurchill39

Yep, I had this "problem" with my landlord back in university and when I went to the bank to look into it they told me that you actually can't post date cheques. They used the word "illegal" but I don't think it is.

Huh... interesting.

But this is how it is in the US. Post dated checks are illegal, and no one uses them. lol. Major cultural difference. People that I was strange for suggesting them lol.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by FraserB
    Isn't this the entire point of a separate chequing account? Drop the money into it when you write a cheque and that way it doesn't matter when the cheque gets cashed since the money is out of your main account already.

Originally posted by FraserB
    Why not have the separate account? That way the money is gone on the 1th when you transfer it to the rent account and it doesn't matter when he cashes the cheque. If he forgets for so long the cheque expires, there is still proof that the money was there on time.
    From what he said before he doesn't use the account for anything except rent and bills. So really, it's just one of those really odd pet peeves that shouldn't annoy him, but it does.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My recovering alcoholic dad on disability gave my son a cheque for chirstmas and i just cashed it two weeks ago.

He has no issues with it...

Sounds like OP just wants to bitch for the sake of bitching.

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

Set up your banking to have separate accounts for different things, then you can just leave the money there and not have to worry. I have 4 accounts set up at CIBC:
    - Spending
    - Saving
    - Rent
    - Wedding (or whatever specific need you have, car payments, loans, etc...)

Spend 10 minutes each paycheck dividing things up, then you don't have to worry. I've never bounced a cheque and always know exactly where I stand with my finances. You can set it up through online banking and it barely costs anything.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by spike98
    My recovering alcoholic dad on disability gave my son a cheque for chirstmas and i just cashed it two weeks ago.

He has no issues with it...

Sounds like OP just wants to bitch for the sake of bitching.
    That's great...however I don't see the relevance. How much was the cheque for $25.00? How about you issue me a bunch of post dated cheques for over a grand and I'll pick and choose when I want to cash them. I'm sure that would be cool right??

I don't get what's so odd about expecting someone to cash a cheque on the payable date or at least, closer to it without prodding.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by thrasher22
    Set up your banking to have separate accounts for different things, then you can just leave the money there and not have to worry. I have 4 accounts set up at CIBC:
    - Spending
    - Saving
    - Rent

Spend 10 minutes each paycheck dividing things up, then you don't have to worry. I've never bounced a cheque and always know exactly where I stand with my finances. You can set it up through online banking and it barely costs anything.
    That's good advice. I'll talk to TD. Then it won't matter if he wants to waits forever to cash it. Still don't understand why anyone would want to wait to cash a substantial sized cheque that could be cancelled at anytime but

Originally posted by thrasher22
    - Spending
    - Saving
    - Rent

I can see the appeal but don't you get nickle and dimed with fees across your accounts?

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

That's good advice. I'll talk to TD. Then it won't matter if he wants to waits forever to cash it. Still don't understand why anyone would want to wait to cash a substantial sized cheque that could be cancelled at anytime but
    You should see how some contractors do things... waiting until the week the cheque expires to cash it When I started out I was really bad with my books and forgot about a couple after months went by with them not being cashed, that can be a shocker when it comes out.

I have had landlords do similar things, sometimes cashing 2 months at a time, then back to right on the due date, but I didn't worry too much about it since I discounted the money from my "available balance" either way.

My Ride
    NC1

lol so many accts to open. just get a loc and use that. consider it a massive overdraft you have at your disposal. no fees for me!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I had this same thing happen to me. Yes I should have paid more attention but common...my landlord deposited 4 rent checks at the same time. That's just stupid. I don't keep that much money in my chequing account.

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

Originally posted by BrknFngrs

I can see the appeal but don't you get nickle and dimed with fees across your accounts?
    Not really, the only account that sees more than a couple transactions a month is my "spending" account. Most of them have a certain amount of free transactions a month and I don't believe any of them have fixed monthly fees. A couple dollars is worth the peace of mind to me, and means avoiding accidental expensive overdraft fees

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5