Quantcast
Mazdaspeed 3 - opinions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Mazdaspeed 3 - opinions

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Default Mazdaspeed 3 - opinions

Looking to get a new vehicle for the mrs and seriously considering the mazdaspeed 3, 2010 generation. Am really keen on the styling and output! Thought about a wrx but have been put off by people talking about it's reliability and its overpriced resale value. That being said, I'm not so sure how the price of the mazdaspeed 3 stacks up and if it too is overpriced for what it offers.

In any case, if anyone has any insight into this vehicle, please share and if you own one, let me know what you like and don't like about the vehicle. How's the maintenance and longevity if the vehicle? I've never bought a factory turbo'd vehicle before.

Cheers lads!!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Mazdaspeedforums will be able to answer any technical questions you may have. While it's not AWD, it can be made really quick with a few bolt ons, and they're REALLY fun to drive. Look for an unmolested one if possible, although such an example may be hard to come by now. The stock turbos are known to drink oil. Look for blue smoke after prolonged idling. There was a TSB on this, however depending on the vehicle you look at it may or may not be applicable. Mazda dropped the ball on that one bigtime...

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Yeah i'm pretty sure the stock turbo's are K04's as well, so if you happen to find one that doesn't consume oil, you're already ahead of the gti's of similar years that come equipped stock with k03's and have to upgrade lol.

My dad owns an 07 mazdaspeed 6 and hasn't had any issues with the car. Cobb tuning has an accessport for both the speed3 and speed6 which is pretty cool.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    Look for an unmolested one if possible, although such an example may be hard to come by now.
    Thats the key... and good luck with that. That's like saying "Good luck finding an unmolested SRT-4"
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    Thats the key... and good luck with that. That's like saying "Good luck finding an unmolested SRT-4"
    Does a stage 3 returned to stock before sale count?

My Ride
    S14|TB1

I looked into these for a bit last year, the first gen specifically, there was a TSB about an engine mount bolt failing which was one of the more alarming ones, not too much after that besides the oil consumption issue http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...speed-3-a-151/

I went to test drive a few used 07s/08s, I didn't know much about them initially, thought there was something wrong with first one I went to go look at because it didn't feel like 274hp FWD, found out that Mazda control the boost during 1st and 2nd gears to subdue torque steer :/. Looked into aftermarket support and there's a good amount, as said there's the Cobb Accessport with lots of maps from the community to try out.

I also looked at the latest MS3s then decided that with this new 'KODO Design' and breakaway from Ford, that they will sooner or later have to come out with a new MS3 but this time it will be built and designed from the ground up in-house (like most of the current Mazda lineup) instead of sharing a Ford chassis like the last 2 gens.

After those test drives, I still thought for the $ they're great value - fast, fun and subtle (sleeper really, to the average joe they think it's just a Mazda 3), the low km ones do exist (after monitoring the used market from BC to Sask for them for about a year) but of course near impossible to find, I find alot of them for sale are unmolested, but they're all at around 80k-130kish.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

To be honest, I really like the styling of it and I doubt anything will be done to it because it's for the wife and after seeing my addiction to modding cars and their downtime, it's highly dubious that she'll want to do any mods!!

Also, trying to find the differences between a base and a fully loaded but from what I can see, the main difference are things like Nav and the bose system. Am I missing anything else on this one?

This will be a daily driver for sure so no need for anything that will be modified.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    Whip.

MS3 is basically a FWD WRX. I'd pick the WRX over it for sure, if you have the patience to find one that isn't overpriced or driven into the ground.
    THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE:
    N/A, 8000RPM REDLINE, CLOSE RATIO MANUAL, RWD, LSD

AE86, S2000, E46M3

Scratch that...fat, boost, AWD, DSG

Didn't own a MS3 but owned a MS6 (since it's the same DISI 2.3) and I loved it. Do ensure you change all fluids to a high quality synthetic. I used 5W40 for the engine, It did help significantly with the smoking turbo until I got the replacement under TSB warranty. Still used it after the repair.

For mods, I used the Corksport brand for just about all the power mods. The price was more reasonable compared to the other companies. Derrick, the owner, is a standup guy, helped me with any issues I had. Their catalogue is pretty expanded for the Mazdaspeed series.

**Rear Motor Mount was something that I replaced and it helped out with the slop when shifting.

It might be hard to find an unmolested one due to the nature of mod availability, but don't lose hope! I really hope Mazda does get back into the high performance scene again especially with the 3 and 6.

Happy hunting man!

Mazdaspeed 3, torque steer.

That is all.
    "Uptight user on beyond.ca" - Micheal Platt

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
    Mazdaspeed 3, torque steer.

That is all.
    Never driven one have you?

I have one of the original MS3 when they first came out. Got it in Oct 2006. It has been a great car and I have never had any issues with the turbo smoking, but I also don't have any exhaust mods.

Cobb tune, CAI, rear motor mount insert, TWM shifter and Koni shocks have improved/fixed the cars shortcomings nicely.
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    TwoTurbos

I had an '09 MS3 for about 2 years... I miss that car a lot.

I kept it stock while I owned it.. only issue I had with it was a broken tie rod, and the fact that my dog HATED riding in it.

Nice cars, i would go with the first gen.