Quantcast
2014 Calgary Frost Heave Warning thread - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: 2014 Calgary Frost Heave Warning thread

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

It's not a frost heave, but there's one MASSIVE dip and another one developing at the ends of the overpass on Shaganappi SB over Stoney Trail. Just really bad infrastructure I think.

My Ride
    AP1

Originally posted by speedog
    RH lane of NB Deerfoot right over the railroad tunnel (just noth of Memorial) - big enough dip to bottom out my front suspension.
    Are you talking about Barlow? I think that dip has been there for a while. I have to change into the right lane otherwise its a pretty big dip and jump. Its been a really long time... I'm surprised they haven't fixed it.

My Ride
    2013 Raptor

Originally posted by bignerd
    Shockingly, someone actually got back to me from the Ministry of Transportation... since they are responsible for Stony which is a provincial road.

Basically yes they know about the giant frost heave between Metis and Deerfoot exit on Stony. These things "usually" improve with the weather when the ground thaws (??? I am personally not so sure about this, the road is going to level back out when it gets warm again...?) and if it does not, then yes they will repair it.

So basically nothing will happen and the road will stay the way it is.
    They might be aware of it, but they don't know about it, based on what they've told you above. The road might settle back into place when the ground thaws - if the ground heaves the pavement upwards. In other words if the ice in the ground melts and lets everything settle back into position. I know of one that comes and goes every year on the West Bragg Creek road that does exactly this, even after they tore up and repaved last year.

But the problem on Stoney by Métis is not a frost heave like that.. it's a huge dip. Like I said before, it's like a huge culvert collapsed under the road or an underground stream caved in. It won't get better when everything warms up.

I'm sure they are "aware" of it. They might even have plans to investigate it further when the ground thaws. But if they plan to rely on letting nature smooth itself out in that area, we're all in for a big disappointment.

Originally posted by cyra1ax
    It's not a frost heave, but there's one MASSIVE dip and another one developing at the ends of the overpass on Shaganappi SB over Stoney Trail. Just really bad infrastructure I think.
    First one isn't too bad.

Second one's the worst. Don't want to hit that at any more than 50 km/h.

My Ride
    93 Prelude, 02 WRX

This thread was mentioned on the back page of Swerve magazine in the Calgary Herald today, awesome!

Originally posted by EF9 Sedan

Are you talking about Barlow? I think that dip has been there for a while. I have to change into the right lane otherwise its a pretty big dip and jump. Its been a really long time... I'm surprised they haven't fixed it.
    Nope. Not Barlow. NB right hand lane just east of the Herald building where the CPR tunnel is under Deerfoot. - Google Streetview link.

Dip could be a bit further south but never the less, it is in that area.
    Last edited by speedog; 04-04-2014 at 12:03 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I hit huge pot hole on SB center @ 12ave last week.

West bound McKnight around the McCall lake/runway, stay off the right lane.

Barlow NB after 16th ave has warning sign on uneven pavement.

SB Shag after John Laurie started to get bad just like every year.

My Ride
    golfR

Originally posted by Xtrema

West bound McKnight around the McCall lake/runway, stay off the right lane.
    I pick the right lane every time. Left lane has much worse frost heaves. Pot holes I could avoid but not those roller coaster tracks

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by ColoDano
    This thread was mentioned on the back page of Swerve magazine in the Calgary Herald today, awesome!
    crap lol im slackin, i better get on it now!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 03:14 PM.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Anyone mention the massive crater (no broken pavement) on westbound 17th Ave before Richmond road? Saw a late 90's Grand Prix hit it and rip the rocker panel right off

My Ride
    1989 MA70, 2006 UZN215

With the 4Runner having larger tires, raised suspension with extended travel. I always speed up when there's little traffic and pretend I'm in a pre-runner desert race! Haha. It's really cool watching the suspension cycling up and down rapidly!

Originally posted by bignerd
    Basically yes they know about the giant frost heave between Metis and Deerfoot exit on Stony. These things "usually" improve with the weather when the ground thaws (??? I am personally not so sure about this, the road is going to level back out when it gets warm again...?) and if it does not, then yes they will repair it.
    I drove there this afternoon and it has improved significantly since last week.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by speedog

Well the CoC must've missed addressing McKnight Boulevard between 12th and 19th Streets NE for many years because it's been bad for years now. Same thing goes for John Laurie at Brisbois Drive - don't recall the city ever ripping up and redoing that section of John Laurie.
    The city has never ripped up the problem area on John Laurie. NEVER. It wasn't as big an issue until they fully repaved the road four years ago. Since the re-pave it's been much worse than it ever was. It all goes back to shoddy road construction as they knew that was a problem area and didn't do anything about it but roll out new asphalt over it and since they did a worse job than the pavers before them the issue is far worse today. If the city ensured the road construction companies are doing proper work they wouldn't have to spend money later fixing it but at the end of the day you get what your pay for and the city is partially to blame for not having contractors pay attention to problem areas prior to paving.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by firebane

The biggest issue with roads in Alberta is that they hardly ever rip down to the gravel to fix them. They come along and just blacktop over the problem that exists but this never actually fixes the problem.

In BC if there is a problem with the road it gets torn right down to the bed and redone.
    Bingo. Just as I said in my last post the city either isn't doing a good enough job getting contractors fix the issues or they simply don't want to pay to do it right.

Originally posted by heavyD
    The city has never ripped up the problem area on John Laurie. NEVER. It wasn't as big an issue until they fully repaved the road four years ago. Since the re-pave it's been much worse than it ever was. It all goes back to shoddy road construction as they knew that was a problem area and didn't do anything about it but roll out new asphalt over it and since they did a worse job than the pavers before them the issue is far worse today. If the city ensured the road construction companies are doing proper work they wouldn't have to spend money later fixing it but at the end of the day you get what your pay for and the city is partially to blame for not having contractors pay attention to problem areas prior to paving.
    \Well, one certainly should have their wits about them in this section of McKnight what with people slamming on their brakes to slow down for the heaves or dodging about in their lane to miss potholes or even suddenly changing lanes to what they perceive to be a smoother ride.

My experience is neither lane is really better over the whole distance between 19th and 12th Streets NE. Both WB lanes heave pretty good between 19th and the runway, the right lane becomes worse near the viewing area turn-off while the left lane has some pretty good heaves before that. Then the left lane has a whole assortment of potholes right in the intersection of 12th Street that one needs to maneuver around and yeah, I'm probably missing more crud in the 7 block WB section.

One thing is for sure - don't drop a wheel much over the yellow line in the WB left lane west of the viewing area turn-off because that could very well damage your vehicle. The EB lanes are better, much better but it's still a roller coaster ride east of the runway.

Realistically, this 7 block section just needs to be fixed - it will tame down a bit once the frost is out of the ground but it has been getting progressively worse every year.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Was lol-ing today on the drive home...

Stony west bound between Metis and Deerfoot , they now have new orange signs that actually say "Reduce speed ahead, Frost Heave" or something similar to that. These have replaced the "bump ahead" signs.

So they must be aware how bad it is... hope that means they plan to fix it and not just leave the signs up.

[url]

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5