Quantcast
2014 Calgary Frost Heave Warning thread - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Calgary Frost Heave Warning thread

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Originally posted by lilmira
    Westbound Crowchild up the hill where Sarcee merges, you'll see the pothole warning signs lol.
    That one's like a year old though so I've learned to right-lane it by now haha

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Yea some bad ones this year, esp with the new Stoney Trail - I wonder how long until a semi loses their load and someone dies as a result

Exit ramp from northbound Barlow Tr NE to eastbound 16 Avenue NE.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.0654141,-114.0004726,16z

My Ride
    08 K24Z3, 07 YZF-R6

On Peigan Trail between 26th Street and 36th Street SE.
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

Originally posted by lilmira
    Yep Eastbound Crowchild by Shag/Dalhousie, the usual spot every year.

Westbound Crowchild up the hill where Sarcee merges, you'll see the pothole warning signs lol.
    Haha, fuck tell me about it.... I think i caught some air heading east just after Shaganappi tr

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by Modelexis
    I think it would be easier to make a list of roads that aren't fucked. I can't think of one at the moment.

Trading in my sport bike for a motocross bike to take on the Calgary whoops sections that span for several kms.
    lol im starting to see what u mean...........honestly in everyones opinion is this not the worst year to date for this?

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Mcknight always does this, I find deerfoot south of stoney to be awful as well. I miss my big soft SUV

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

Pardon my lack of knowledge on what may be obvious here but does the ground have to thaw before the city will even attempt to fix this? I live in Auburn Bay and that shit is like a ski jump. I have a specific course/route that i take to avoid the worst parts of it even though they are brutal in both directions of deerfoot/22x The city just pops down a bump sign and leaves it there forever. You wouldnt know it by the weather now but bike season is coming and i really dont want to have to deal with that every day...
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

Originally posted by MGCM
    honestly in everyones opinion is this not the worst year to date for this?
    Yes.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Lots of great info here thanks guys keep it coming. I plan to reformat my OP with all the new info this weekend.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

32nd Avenue N.E. heading east between Deerfoot and 12th Street is destroyed.

People complained about the snow removal so the city went heavy on chemicals the past few years and it's destroying the roads.

My Ride
    Has AWD

Originally posted by heavyD
    32nd Avenue N.E. heading east between Deerfoot and 12th Street is destroyed.

People complained about the snow removal so the city went heavy on chemicals the past few years and it's destroying the roads.
    i imagine 19th st ne between 32nd ave and mcknight blvd is getting rather nasty too ya? seems to be like mcknight blvd most years too

My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus ST

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sentry
    [B]There's a FUCKING GNARLY one on Stoney Westbound just before the Deerfoot overpass.

Like if you are doing 100 you will catch air. I slowed to 70 and still came down so hard all my tires rubbed. Shit's gonna cause an accident.

OMG yes I hit this one last week doing 100...I got air and then scraped all 4 of my mud flaps...hard...thank god I'm not lowerd!!!

Also heading west on Glenmore Tr. just past the Ogden/Shepard Rd. lights in the right lane there's a huge pothot...I mean this thing will eat a bus or 18 weeler!!! It's close to the curb so you can avoid it by hugging the center line...if your in something small enough. If not stay in the left lane.

On highway 8 right before it turns into sarcee/glenmore there is a huge ass bump on the left passing lane, at the end of the straightaway.
    Not sure if this would be a frost heave or just shitty road construction lol

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Skidro

Not sure if this would be a frost heave or just shitty road construction lol
    As with most cases it's a bit of both. Road construction in this city is absolutely abysmal. The area on John Laurie heading east just past Shaganappi always had heaves in that spot but they got considerably worse after they were repaved a three years ago because the contractor did a worse job than the guys before them. It just gets worse and worse as these road construction companies take advantage of the city passing off substandard work.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

It also has a lot to do with the city not wanting to pay for a proper repair, age of the roads involved and crappy weather in Alberta.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by FraserB
    It also has a lot to do with the city not wanting to pay for a proper repair, age of the roads involved and crappy weather in Alberta.
    Yeah but I think we can all agree it's got substantially worse since the city started using more road salt/chemicals the past couple of years.

Is it the chemicals that are breaking up the roads or the constant sub freezing/thawing cycle we have because of our weather?

My Ride
    2013 Raptor

Originally posted by Sentry
    There's a FUCKING GNARLY one on Stoney Westbound just before the Deerfoot overpass.

Like if you are doing 100 you will catch air. I slowed to 70 and still came down so hard all my tires rubbed. Shit's gonna cause an accident.
    I'm normally just heading westbound off Métis at that point - I get over into the left lane where it's less of an issue, but I saw a sedan porpoising pretty hard in the right lane the other day.

It's almost like a 36" culvert collapsed under there or something.

Highway 8 between 101 Street (right at the city limits) and 69 Street is pretty bad. I drive a Raptor and the wheelbase must be just the wrong length for it. My sister's minivan doesn't have nearly as hard a time.

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

Sarcee Tr climbing up the hill towards 17th is kinda brutal.

Anderson Rd/37th at 130th right before the lights going down hill. I slow to 60 over it as theirs 3 different dips.
    Koenigsegg, what started as a dream just blew your doors off.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast