Quantcast
Young Geologist (BSc., GIT): How do I find field-oriented work in O&G? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Young Geologist (BSc., GIT): How do I find field-oriented work in O&G?

My Ride
    1987 Mercedes 560SL (17" AMG Aero I's)

Default Young Geologist (BSc., GIT): How do I find field-oriented work in O&G?

Hello everyone!

I don't have the widest network in the Canadian energy sector and seeing as how my constant google job searches yield threads on this forum, I figured I would reach out to the Beyond community and hopefully some fellow geoscientists and field professionals for a little guidance.

I graduated from the University of Victoria with a BSc. in Geology in 2012. I've since been employed as a project geologist for a junior mineral exploration company in Central BC and as such have been given a wealth of responsibility (drilling and project oversight, prospecting, camp coordination, core-logging, geochemical databases, XRF studies, etc.).

I have no experience working in the energy sector but it has always been a dream of mine to find employment in the industry. I would relish an opportunity in the field (where the action is!) as a wellsite geologist, core hole supervisor, field engineer, MWD/LWD engineer, etc. I'm mechanically astute, physically fit, and love being outdoors.

I flew to Calgary to take industry-recommended courses - CANSTRAT Sample Logging (for wellsite geos and mudloggers) and CANSTRAT Introduction to Practical Wireline Logging. I also possess the relevant safety tickets - TDG, PST 2.0, WHMIS, OFA 1, H2S Alive. I've got a Class 5 driver's license; I'm a Canadian citizen (and english is my first language).

The only problem is, I currently reside in Victoria (but I'll move anywhere for employment). I've sent out massive amounts of tailored resumes and cover-letters for any entry-level field position I can find (but I feel my emails are going straight to the junk folder). What else can I do? I've handed out resumes since I've been here in Calgary but all those in my network got their jobs in O&G through 'someone they know'.

The company that takes the risk with me will get a very loyal, hard-working, and competent professional. I will relocate to wherever I am needed. How do I convince them to take the leap?

Any suggestions, advice, help, or contacts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys and all the best,

Jack
    Last edited by CoreShackJack; 03-27-2014 at 06:18 PM.

My Ride
    your mom

Have you had a resume review done from someone in the industry? How are you finding companies to apply to?

Originally posted by Arash
    Im not an idiot...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

you try using a friend's address in calgary when you apply?

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Do you have a good O&G headhunter based in Calgary? A good headhunter with the right connections in the industry should be able to get you placed. The headhunters I know mostly do IT placements, but if you get stuck I can ask if they place rock guys too.

My Ride

Hey guys,

I've had my resume reviewed by a couple of people in the industry. My job search is usually done by using different combinations of keywords on job search engines and google. I have also gone to classifieds (kijiji, etc.).

I've since taken my Victoria address completely off of my resume.

It's written on my application that I am willing to relocate. I have not used a friend's address here in Calgary yet.

I have not used a headhunter and to be honest I don't know much about them. Do they charge lots of money?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

DO NOT pay a headhunter, they make money off the employers

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Right now is not a great time to be finding field positions because the drilling season is pretty much coming to a close (called break-up). When things resume depends entirely on weather, county road bans, company's drilling programs, money, oil/gas prices, where you are in the province...IMO it's hard to predict but some companies do drill through but for the most part, it's not that common.

Places to look are Infooil and Rigzone. There are a bunch of wellsite consulting companies in town, just do a search.

Are you registered with APEGA?

To be quite frank, the entire O&G industry is over-saturated with geologists - it's a big reason I'm seriously looking to take my Master's to give myself an edge because a Bsc. without serious connections just isn't cutting it these days. Being a female is a big plus, as much as I hate to say that.

The last job I applied to at Husky was a Jr. 1-year contract job. Two good friends are working in that group and handed my resume to the person doing the hiring. Well they had over 450 applicants, half of which were over-qualified. I didn't even get an interview. I applied at a lot of places, many of which require a minimum of 5 years experience. Many Jr. jobs aren't even advertised. Calgary is a big "who you know" place and networking can be pretty difficult.

10 years ago, there were probably 30 geos graduating from the program each year, maybe less. When I graduated 3 years ago, we had just over 100. I've heard that last year had 200 graduates. In addition, there have been a lot of layoffs lately. So not only do companies have a big pool of graduates to pick from, but candidates with industry experience are also competing.

In essence, good luck! Especially coming from Victoria with very few petroleum related courses vs. UofC/UofA. Truthfully, you don't need those courses, or much of a geology degree actually, to do field work - I would say 80% of what I learned in school is more relevant to working downtown than the field, most of everything I need to know out here I learned on the job. But when someone has those courses vs. someone that doesn't, it's just another factor.

This is my motto for Jrs and currently what I'm following:
    Use a headhunter if you can, though I don't know any that look for Junior Geologists positions, it's mostly senior guys. Who gives a shit what someone is going to pay you for your first 5 years honestly, it's the experience that counts. This isn't 2006 where people would walk down the street to another job because someone offered them $5,000 more as a Jr. Take anything you can, anywhere you can. Get experience, that's all that matters because this industry for geologists is getting incredibly competitive.
    Last edited by msommers; 03-27-2014 at 09:11 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

Hey MSommers,

Eligible with APEGA but currently only registered with APEGBC.

Thanks for being frank. That's how I prefer to communicate, no fluff and just the facts. I'm not looking for someone to show me rainbows, I am just looking for fresh suggestions. I have heard those statistics about the amount of new geologists in the industry. I have also learned very quickly that Calgary is very much a 'who you know' type of town. You are right about looking for jobs at the wrong time (breakup) but this is when I was available to take the Canstrat courses.

Geology is a passion of mine and something I am always interested in, however I don't feel the need to find employment as a rock-sniffer. I am more-than-happy with a field position in O&G in which a geology degree is a qualification (even though the job involves little geology). I am essentially looking to become skilled and trained in the industry and become a useful entity. There are many qualified geologists in this industry looking specifically for geology jobs and it seems that if you didn't score an internship as a Jr. geologist with a major then the chance of scoring a full-time entry-level office geologist position is virtually non-existent.

My Ride
    G6

PM'ed

Originally posted by msommers
    Right now is not a great time to be finding field positions because the drilling season is pretty much coming to a close (called break-up).
    If I was recruiting geologists, I'd be doing it now for June/July startup.

My Ride
    your mom

Another thing you might want to consider, which I did myself, was go on to the TMX website and go look at all the O&G companies that are listed. TMX has sector spreadsheets that will list every single O&G company with sortable columns which will give you a great list of companies to start looking at on the TSX and on the Venture.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Arash
    Im not an idiot...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Most field geologists do not work for producers.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Find a geology pimp company.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Feruk
    PM'ed

If I was recruiting geologists, I'd be doing it now for June/July startup.
    Yeah never hurts to test the waters. But if guys don't know how much work they have yet, they may or may not be interested in taking on more geos.
    Ultracrepidarian

I know how you feel OP. I'm graduating by the end of this summer and having applied to over a dozen junior level job postings, I have accepted the fact that I'm unlikely to find a job this summer and will have to move back to Edmonton with the parents.

As stated, the industry is incredibly over saturated with geos right now.

Thanks for the input msommers , it was helpful to me as well.

Can anyone provide more info about headhunters? If you can enlighten me carson blocks I would very much appreciate it!
    Last edited by xbr50; 03-29-2014 at 03:54 PM.

I think there are a lot of new geoscientists in this position, including myself. I graduated a few years ago with BSc. in Geophysics. Had some marketing work for smaller geophysical consulting and software companies, but that's about it. I heard that this year's graduating class was one of the largest yet, so that's not helping either.

Don't give up, something will come around. I recently started working at a small renewable energy company, has nothing to do with what I learned in school, hopefully the gained experience will come in handy. I am still looking for something in geophysics.

I know you said that you had your resume looked over, so this is for anyone else that might be reading. Have someone in the industry provide feedback. I wrote my resume with the help of the career services at U of C, and I thought it was pretty decent. Couple months after graduating a few HR people told me that the resume was no good and gave me some tips on how to improve it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I definitely hope I didn't leave a doom-and-gloom impression, but my opinion is that submitting resumes online 'cold' is borderline useless/waste of time. You need to know someone at the company downtown. Field work is less so like this but given how many geos are in the "employment pool," it wouldn't surprise me if it's trending that direction.

Not entirely sure what spiked the enrollment of feldspar jockeys lately, must be the promise of outrageous salaries or something outlandish.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    toyota MR2

Try boundary drilling services if you want to try your hand at mwd. I heard they were super short guys.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

I've witnessed from start to finish what a Geo does during a well. I don't understand why the job is so desirable.
    On Sabbatical

Originally posted by themack89
    I've witnessed from start to finish what a Geo does during a well. I don't understand why the job is so desirable.
    Has to be better than being an Engineer

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

OP youre going to have to find a different line of work (in the same industry) at least temporarily while you relocate to Calgary. Thats how I got my foot in the door coming from Vancouver. I worked in an office for 6 months - essentially moving paper - and then got to know the people ion the company and ended up working in the field because someone recommended me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast