Quantcast
1,100 miles of racing in one day? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 1,100 miles of racing in one day?

Default 1,100 miles of racing in one day?

1,100 miles of racing in one day?

Kurt Busch is going to attempt it today by competing in both the Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR's longest race, the Coca-Cola 600. Probably more of a publicity stunt than anything as Kurt's chances of winning the Indy 500 are slim - only one driver in the past has completed all 1,100 miles of racing and it's only been attempted 5 times in the past by three separate drivers.

So first the Indy and then off on a private jet to Charlotte to compete in the Coca Cola 600 - a lot of racing in one day with probably not much downtime. BTW, Kurt crashed in an Indy practice - let's hope for the sake of himself and the other competitors that he keeps it off of the wall in the race.

I apologize, but I find it difficult to share any enthusiasm for this "feat of superhuman endurance". I find no merit in driving in a circle 600 times in a day, nor do I condone their well known penchant for consuming alcohol while doing so.

On the bright side, your thread gets a bump, and the masses will flock here to see some floppy redneck tits.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Originally posted by e31
    I apologize, but I find it difficult to share any enthusiasm for this "feat of superhuman endurance". I find no merit in driving in a circle 600 times in a day, nor do I condone their well known penchant for consuming alcohol while doing so.

On the bright side, your thread gets a bump, and the masses will flock here to see some floppy redneck tits.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    No need to apologize as I don't get all the hype around F1 - wonderful technical series but it's almost a follow the leader type of race where not much actual passing on the race course is ever done.

As far as the 'consuming alcohol while doing so' comment, you're probably way off base there - please provide links that support your assumption here.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

I think 1100 miles in a day is impressive enough by itself, but to do it in two halves with two different cars on two different tracks is what really makes it unique. I'm glad the two races are spaced out far enough apart to be able to do both. I don't remember for sure but one of the two changed their start times so it would be almost impossible to finish at Indy and make it to Charlotte in time to start the 600.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1

I remember the weekend when Tony Stewart did it. Managed to watch both races that day. IIRC, he finished top ten at Indy and then finished 2nd or 3rd at Charlotte.

Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

My Ride
    Horse

^ He came 6th at Indy and 3rd at Charlotte.

Kurt came 6th at Indy but got a blown engine in the second race. He did 906 of the 1,100 miles. Pretty crazy stuff to try.