Quantcast
Start your engines! Community information session – April 1, 2014 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Start your engines! Community information session – April 1, 2014

Default Start your engines! Community information session – April 1, 2014

Please join RMP us at a community information session scheduled for April 1, 2014 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. (presentation at 7) at the Airdrie Best Western to discuss our proposed plans to build a new road course and driving training facility in Rocky View County 1/2 mile north east of Airdrie.

Details:

Date: Tuesday, April 1, 2014
    Time: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. (brief presentation 7 pm)

No RSVP required, everyone welcome! We hope you can join us to learn more about this world-class one of a kind recreation destination

Sorry for the short notice everyone, I just got back into town and saw this.

Hope to see you there!
    10.98@123mph
    All Motor

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Wish there was more notice, I definitely would've dropped by had I had time to clear my schedule.

Just got back from the meeting. $70 million dollar project

They will have:
    -Wetlands - for Olds Collage Reaserch
    -Soccor Fields
    -Baseball dimonds
    -Driver Training and skid pads
    -Police training track
    -Road course

NO DRAG STRIP but "Secert Street" events during daylight hours only (not sure how that is going to work).
    The reason for no 1/4 mile : "no one came forward with funding for the drag strip"

No spectator seating

The president made it very clear that the track will only be open to Street Legal Vehicals

I am truly disappointed about the whole thing.
    Last edited by ghostS10RT; 04-01-2014 at 08:03 PM.
    10.98@123mph
    All Motor

No spectator seating
    That bit is news to me. Hm.

This place sounded a lot better when it was 100% speculation. The more details that surface the more it sounds like Shakers 2.0 + Cops. Only fitting that it's less than a mile from a feedlot...

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Originally posted by ghostS10RT
    The president made it very clear that the track will only be open to Street Legal Vehicals
    So wait. Road course but no race cars? That's horse shit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

With their proximity to Airdrie homes, I wouldn't be surprised if there are noise limits with DB meters at different parts of the course even for street legal roadcourse only. Laguna Seca has the same deal, go over the noise limit 3x and you get the boot. You'd be dreaming if it could ever run a drag strip (unless it was purely OEM cars haha).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ferrari 458 spider, E63, 997tt, Z06, Exige, EvoX

None of this is surprising when you look at their noise impact assessment for the road course. Airdrie is not the issue (for now) but their Lmax at the surrounding farmhouses was 68, which is going to be very difficult to operate and explains why there never could be a true drag strip there.

The comment about no one coming forward for funding a drag strip makes no sense at all. Isn't the developer and their investors funding the project? Sound is the issue, just not sure why they don't say so.
    Badlands Motorsports Resort
    CEO

Its all very weird.

As I walked around the room last night talking to varous people from RMV and locals, I was getting the feeling that there was a underlying motive.

One gentlman that I spoke to was almost forcing me to convert to road racing on the spot. He just kept saying "its a rush running down a straight away @205mph in my Lotus and having to get down to 66mph for the corner". Then "my Ferrari pulls 1G in some corners"
    I really don't have anything against road racing at alll, just listen to what the needs of the people are.

They are looking to move dirt by spring 2015.
    10.98@123mph
    All Motor

My Ride
    G37X

The no spectator seating part is kind of disappointing.

Also, street legal vehicles only x2.

I'm still excited to have a facility though.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    The no spectator seating part is kind of disappointing.
    Why would there be a need for spectator seating in a country club style motorsports park? It's not like they're running racing events there. You're not allowed in there unless you're a member anyways, and if you're a member, you'll be out there driving. Guests would be in the car as passengers. I've been to a handful of these types of tracks, and typically, the only spectator area would be in the paddock area, such as on the roof of the paddock for maximum (but still shitty) visibility.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by ghostS10RT

Dafuq.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

So 2 new racetracks potentially being built in alberta, neither of which are any use to me because they both require you to be rich and a member?

My Ride

Originally posted by Sentry
    So 2 new racetracks potentially being built in alberta, neither of which are any use to me because they both require you to be rich and a member?
    This couldn't be farther from the truth, with regards to Badlands. This has been discussed so many times on many places, but the whole concept behind the Badlands is to make motorsports affordable, more available, to get more people involved, and be publically accessable. Its not a private club and was never intended to be. One of the founding principles was that getting access to Race city was difficult (unless you were a member of a club or group) and many people who wanted to get on a track didn't know how to go about it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Membership just guarantees tracktime without dealing with rental. I believe both projects are still renting out the track to clubs, individuals, etc. No different than Race City, you wouldn't go there to run on the track on your own, you'd join a lapping day that's organized by someone or a club.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by JZatBMR

This couldn't be farther from the truth, with regards to Badlands. This has been discussed so many times on many places, but the whole concept behind the Badlands is to make motorsports affordable, more available, to get more people involved, and be publically accessable. Its not a private club and was never intended to be. One of the founding principles was that getting access to Race city was difficult (unless you were a member of a club or group) and many people who wanted to get on a track didn't know how to go about it.
    I'm really glad Jay comes around and answers questions and gives info, I think it really shows how committed and excited he is on Badlands!

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Originally posted by rage2
    Membership just guarantees tracktime without dealing with rental. I believe both projects are still renting out the track to clubs
    That's what I wanted to hear, and that's how I thought they were being run.

EDIT:

Originally posted by rage2

Why would there be a need for spectator seating in a country club style motorsports park? It's not like they're running racing events there. You're not allowed in there unless you're a member anyways, and if you're a member, you'll be out there driving.
    This is what had me confused.
    Last edited by Sentry; 04-02-2014 at 01:09 PM.

My Ride

Badlands will be a semi-private facility. At least one track would be rented out per day. If you are going to do multiple days per year regularly, it actually will be cheaper in the long run to be a member. We realize many can't afford to be members from the outset (although being able to finance a membership should also be an option so it may be more affordable than you think).
    Last edited by JZatBMR; 04-02-2014 at 02:15 PM.

My Ride

Also, we certainly would be hosting events, and the spectator areas would more than sufficient capacity and allow great views off both tracks, but it would be incorporated into the architecture to maximize space.
    Badlands Motorsports Resort
    CEO

Both this projects are running the risk of alienating a group of users. It speaks volumes when no representative from Rockyview Motorsports Park have come forward to this community. The lack of support for anything drag racing is disappointing and I wouldn't completely be surprised if the proposed secret street theme thing gets dropped completely closer to the actually opening date. Remember when there was talk about them making a 1/4 track later after the parks launch? And now there is no seating? RMP was originally pitching this as a all inclusive facility?

It'll be interesting to see what happens when all of this starts getting built. At this point in time I envision running arm drop drag racing at BMR, at least they have seating proposed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast