Quantcast
More Airport Tunnel Madness - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: More Airport Tunnel Madness

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default More Airport Tunnel Madness

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/...534/story.html

With the airport tunnel opening in May and the runway atop it opening June 28, city councillors are pressuring the Calgary Airport Authority to ease up conditions acting as a barrier to another key connection.

The $295-million tunnel will connect Airport Trail motorists between the Deerfoot and 36th Street N.E. when it opens for traffic May 25. But the city can’t rush to extend the road farther eastward to Metis or Stoney Trails, as a contract concession to airport officials worried a longer Airport Trail would add cut-through traffic and snarl access to the air terminal.

Airport CEO Garth Atkinson told council Monday he’s open to renegotiating that deal if traffic isn’t as bad as the airport had projected.

"We’ll have to wait and see what happens," Atkinson said in the airport authority’s annual update to city hall.

According to the airport’s contract to allow the tunnel beneath its runway, the city must help fund interchanges at Barlow Trail and 19th Street N.E. as soon as Airport Trail connects to Metis.

The airport is offering the land and $20 million for the interchanges toward the airport, but the city would have to fund the rest of the project, estimated at $50 million in 2011 dollars.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi told the airport executive that he’d like to announce to Calgarians a better deal on the Metis Trail link by the six-lane tunnel’s opening in May.

"We’ll have to come up with something that’s different than what’s on the table now."

Atkinson shrugged off what he called the politicians’ "gentle encouragement," telling reporters he doesn’t expect the deal to change in the next month or two.

"I think our commitment is simply to observe on how traffic develops and sit down and talk to the city," the CEO said after he briefed council.

"I think it may be a bit optimistic to expect any changes in the near term."

The $600-million airport runway, like the tunnel, will have a public opening and tour before it actually begins handling traffic. Atkinson said there the public will likely be able to take a walking tour of the four-kilometre takeoff strip the weekend of June 14 and 15, including an organized fun run. That’s two weeks before the first landings and takeoffs on Canada’s largest runway begin June 28 at 2 p.m.

City officials have scheduled a vintage car show and walking tour in the 620-metre-long airport tunnel — which has no sidewalks — on May 24, the day before that six-lane road extension welcomes passing cars.
    So tunnel is opening this summer. City can't extend Airport Trail further east, because they will have to fund the interchanges at Barlow and 19th Street as per contract agreement. Nenshi wants the deal to be reneged by opening date in May, Airport says not going to happen.

Interesting that these contractual items weren't part of the tunnel vs Country Hills cost assessment.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I fail to see how widing CHB to 6 lanes east of Deerfoot would cost more than the tunnel

All in the name of saving 5 minutes as the tunnel is already near the north end of the runway.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Can't wait to hear my exhaust in the tunnel. LOL

My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus ST

Was not the point of building the tunnel to have Airport Tr extended out to meet Stoney? Just kinda makes no sence to spend that kind of money if it's not going to. There is already a interchange at Stoney and 96ave.

I swear to god the only people that supported this thing could not comprehend maps.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

My dad was telling me they are trying to organize a "airport tunnel blast for charity event" before the official opening day, maybe they can fund the interchanges with that :P

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

There's a vintage car show in the tunnel scheduled the day before it opens.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2013 Scion FR-S

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    My dad was telling me they are trying to organize a "airport tunnel blast for charity event" before the official opening day, maybe they can fund the interchanges with that :P
    This would be awesome!

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 01:44 AM.

Originally posted by Nitro5
    I fail to see how widing CHB to 6 lanes east of Deerfoot would cost more than the tunnel

All in the name of saving 5 minutes as the tunnel is already near the north end of the runway.
    It was about getting the tunnel built at the cheapest time possible, which was when the runway was being built, not after. Country Hills doesn't need to be 6 lanes any time soon, but the costs of upgrading it in the future will rise nowhere near as much as the tunnel would have.

Eventually there would have needed to be another E-W route between almost 7 kilometres from McKnight to Country Hills, Airport Tr was it. Spend money today to save money in the future, one of these 'proactive' steps that people wish the city would take more often. I'd say one of the big reasons for the push to get it connected is just to get it out of the way and not have it loom as a 'tunnel to nowhere' until development continues north of Saddleridge. Plus it would allow people to use Stoney to completely avoid Deerfoot to get to the airport at times when Deerfoot is a mess.

I'd say this tunnel will cause a rather large inner conflict for the 'fiscal hawk' beyond members because I'm fairly certain they will enjoy ripping through it with their windows down much more than they dislike the very poor short term benefit of such a pricey project.

My Ride
    Grimace

Ridiculous. We can't meet our part of the contract, but you should loosen up on your part

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I'm glad the airport is telling Nenshi to shove it. Hopefully they stick to their guns. The city rammed this through, now they can fix any mess.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by FraserB
    I'm glad the airport is telling Nenshi to shove it. Hopefully they stick to their guns. The city rammed this through, now they can fix any mess.
    Airport never wanted it in the first place, so I doubt they'll give any slack.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Should have added, once Nenshi doesn't get his way (have the AA break the contract & deal with the penalties), he'll simply take to Twitter and FB to trash the airport and blame them for whatever problems there are.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by kertejud2
    I'd say this tunnel will cause a rather large inner conflict for the 'fiscal hawk' beyond members because I'm fairly certain they will enjoy ripping through it with their windows down much more than they dislike the very poor short term benefit of such a pricey project.
    Yup hahaha.

My Ride
    something green

They'll probably redeploy the noise snare there.
    Too loud for Aspen

Originally posted by Maxt
    They'll probably redeploy the noise snare there.
    Just time your runs with the planes taking off and landing.

Worst case you still get a ticket but you've got a pretty high decibel number to show off.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The noise snare doesn't work in enclosed spaces. Even in downtown with sound reflecting back from skyscrapers, it wasn't usable.

Originally posted by benyl
    Can't wait to hear my exhaust in the tunnel. LOL

My Ride
    Trucks

5" exhaust with anti-lag in a tunnel will be interesting. Will bring earplugs on my first visit.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast