Quantcast
Druh marches forward with reduced speed limit plan - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Druh marches forward with reduced speed limit plan

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Default Druh marches forward with reduced speed limit plan

For those who hadn't heard, a group has organized in an attempt to reduce the speed limits in sunnyside to 30km/h...

http://www.30forsunnyside.com/?m=1

They tried raising awareness on the skyscraper forum, and were promptly shown how it provides zero benifit to the area, including historical accident locations that reflect the lack of danger in the area...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=205896

Stopping by my parents place in rosedale, I found this gem in the local newsletter...

Last edited by finboy; 04-01-2014 at 01:38 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I think it's a great idea, in fact, they should slow it down to 15km/h. With the amount of unexpected flooding that Sunnyside gets, forcing drivers to slow down will mean less chance of driving into a deep pool of flood water and wrecking cars.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

They should just ban cars all together in Sunnyside. Residents should have to take the bus or walk to wherever they are going.

My Ride
    W204

I don't think I've ever driven inside the inclusion area in my life. Their community, do whatever the fuck they want I say..
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

They should just put a fence around Sunnyside and all the NIMBY's that live there.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    W204

I should also attach this I suppose...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by rage2
    I think it's a great idea, in fact, they should slow it down to 15km/h.
    if 15 is good, 10 is better. I'm all for 10

I look forward to driving 30kph in Sunnysde Bank Park.

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

So these are all side streets in the community? Who cares except anyone who lives there, let them decide.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

LOL, at the anti-Farrel bias at play here.

This is a logical suggestion with lots of traffic short-cutting off of Memorial.

I really feel for the suburbanites that can't shave the 4 minutes off their 55 minute commute.

Really I do.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

It is nigh impossible to "shortcut" through there. And even if someone could, they'd save absolutely no time at all.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Originally posted by cam_wmh

This is a logical suggestion with lots of traffic short-cutting off of Memorial.

I really feel for the suburbanites that can't shave the 4 minutes off their 55 minute commute.

Really I do.
    This is beyond just sunnyside, as outlined she wants this through the whole city. Ever driven through airdrie where all residential zones are 30? It's hell.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Beyond cruise @ 30km/h in Sunnyside?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Really I do.
    The only people that would shortcut through Sunnyside to get onto 10th street are inner city urbanites. We suburbanites know the real shortcut is much further west on 19th Street (sorry Hillhurstanites).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by finboy
    This is beyond just sunnyside, as outlined she wants this through the whole city. Ever driven through airdrie where all residential zones are 30? It's hell.
    Oh fuck that

Originally posted by rage2

The only people that would shortcut through Sunnyside to get onto 10th street are inner city urbanites. We suburbanites know the real shortcut is much further west on 19th Street (sorry Hillhurstanites).

i take that every day
    also sage hill to downtown in 25 minutes as a suburbanite....

Originally posted by finboy
    Airdrie residential all 30kph - not true; Google Streetview examples 1 & 2. Probably anomalies though.

My Ride
    G6

I lived in that inclusion zone for a while. I wish Druh would shut her big useless mouth (opinion). Most of those roads have cars parked and people do below 50 anyway. Lowering speed to 30 will have just ONE result; more people speeding when safe to do 50. What a stupid idea. Not sure why anyone still listens to this mindless rhetoric.

My Ride
    Faux X 4 Mall Crawler

Originally posted by speedog
    Airdrie residential all 30kph - not true; Google Streetview examples 1 & 2. Probably anomalies though.
    Definitely anomalies, I have yet to see a road out there without a 30 limit (though there appear to be a couple), and beyond is full with threads about the limits throughout that shithole of a town

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Really I do.
    The "safety" reasoning behind the move is 110% nonsense and can't even be supported by facts.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

By the looks of that Rosedale Reporter article, it's more than just Druh who pushing this "lowered residential speed limits" deal.

For the most part though, if the CoC does move ahead and implement a 30kph residential speed limit, then do it right - 30 kph on most residential, but feeder roads and such, 50kph or more. Sunnyside - all 30 but keep 10th Street NW at 50. My community, Highwood, all 30 except for Northmount Drive which cuts through the center (50kph) and all the peripheral connecting roads (4th Street NW & 40th Avenue NW) to remain at 50 as well.

Realistically, on a narrow residential road that is pretty much a single lane with a lane of parking on either side, 30 kph is okay and realistic. 50kph is starting to play the odds a bit what with children about and the reduced site-lines due to the narrow roads/streets.

Where the problem arises is in newer communities where the roads are wider, often easily accommodating two-way traffic with parked vehicles on either side - here 50 might be okay. Problem this creates is the increased amount of signage that would have to put up and the associated costs.

Maybe instead, traffic calming measures need to be put into place where speeds are a concern - put in enough 4-way stop sign intersections and more in-street speed bumps/dips (frost heaves, eh) and many people will soon adjust their driving habits. It's like going downtown from central north Calgary - 4th Street NW is a PITA because of the 40kph limit and the 4-way stop. Centre or Edmonton Trail is often just easier and as quick. Cutting through Tuxedo Park - 24th Avenue North is also a PITA (traffic calming shit and school zones) while 26th Ave is wonderful (no doubt due to the firehall over on 4th Street NW).

Anyhow in central North residential (between 16th Ave and McKnight, leave 10th Street NW, 4th Street NW, Centre Street, Edmonton Trail, 6th Street NE, Cambrian, Drive, Northmount Drive, 16th Avenue, 40th Avenue, 32nd Avenue, 20th Avenue all at 50 (actually increase 16th Avenue to 60) with the rest of the residential at 30. Most of the residential streets in these 8 affected communities (Mount Pleasant, Tuxedo Park, Winston Heights, Highland Park, Highwood, Balmoral, Cambrian Heights, Mountview) are narrow like I described earlier (one traffic lane and two parking lanes) with reduced site lines due to numerous on-street parked vehicles as well as large bushes and trees close to the street and anything above 30 starts to get iffy at many times of the day.

As for a newer community, let's says Edgemont or Tuscany, I can't comment on because that''s not a part of my daily driving routine but certainly in the central north, 30kph on purely residential streets might not be an issue - 40 though I could get behind more so than 30, a nice compromise and at the same time, start looking at all the bogus playground zones (one that really grinds my gears is on 14th Street NW around Sandarac Drive - complete BS).
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast