Quantcast
Need a new laptop... Dell 7000? HP Envy? Lenovo? Asus? WTF? lol - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need a new laptop... Dell 7000? HP Envy? Lenovo? Asus? WTF? lol

Default Need a new laptop... Dell 7000? HP Envy? Lenovo? Asus? WTF? lol

so im looking at picking up a new laptop that will hopefully last me 2 or 3 years at least, if not more

- I don't forsee the need for a separate gpu/video card (so integrated intel 4400 or 4600 is fine)

- Just regular surfing, movies (storage and playback, when i take the laptop traveling and i just plug it into the tv in the hotel via HDMI cable), and whatever else a laptop is used for lol

- I know i do want at least 14 to 15 inch display, could possibly go up to 17 if the price is right but most 17 inch are >1000

- Would prefer to spend <$1000

- Would like to have the newest 4th gen intel cpu (i3, i5, i7)... but im guessing i5 is good enough and i7 isnt really needed for my purposes (ie, will likely not be used for gaming)

- Would like at least 8gb ram (the more RAM the more futureproof it is?) since word processing, excel, movies, mp3s is a given... all at the same time maybe? lol... maybe some playing around in photoshop is possible

- I have a 802.11 AC router, probably nice to have wireless AC in the laptop as well (dell 7000 series don't seem to have AC yet.... just HP Envy from what i saw in my limited searching thus far)

- 1TB hard drive (don't need an SSD, but if its in the price range, HD + SSD is cool too)... don't want SSD only since storage of movies, mp3, etc on the laptop is very likely.

- Would like it to be touch screen (for the win8 lulz )

- Not sure about cd/dvd burner... i have a desktop and my old laptop that can burn stuff... do you guys find you don't really need to use a cd/dvd drive all that much nowadays? (thanks to USB sticks)

the dell 7000 series look very nice in pics and so does the HP envy series, but in my past experience with the cheaper HP laptops they were flimsy, plasticy and didnt exactly scream "high build quality"... but then again those were 400-600 dollar laptops lol... is the HP envy line that much better? anyone who has one or has used one, care to share some thoughts about it?

i just recently read about the lenovo brand, havent researched much about it yet but if anyone has any experience with it (good or bad) let me know... same goes for companies like ASUS

i think this post is gonna be quite lengthy, but i think i covered everything i can think of... if theres anything else, let me know and i'll post my response

//edit
    also, on dell in noticed some laptops say that they come with windows 8 and others windows 8.1... why? if you have windows 8, can't you just upgrade to 8.1??
    Last edited by EK69; 04-01-2014 at 10:42 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

You can get a laptop with better specifications if you go with something like Dell or HP but you'll get a better quality laptop if you go with Samsung or Asus. It just won't appear to be as good on paper, instead it'll last you way longer. I learned this the hard way and my third laptop purchase was a Samsung, I'll never go back.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Originally posted by Mar
    You can get a laptop with better specifications if you go with something like Dell or HP but you'll get a better quality laptop if you go with Samsung or Asus. It just won't appear to be as good on paper, instead it'll last you way longer. I learned this the hard way and my third laptop purchase was a Samsung, I'll never go back.
    was this a recent purchase? which samsung did you get?

i am not one to include or preclude certain products just cuz of the brand name (except Sony VAIO... those things are wayy too expensive)

after browsing dell and futureshop/bestbuy i was gonna check out Memory Express's website next (they had quite a bit of ASUS and other brands before), but i got tired of laptop browsing and my ADD kicked in and watched tv instead lol

//edit
    i read this thread by FraserB already ( http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/i-need-a...postid=4267057 ) and specs wise the dell 7000 17 inch sounds good (even 1080p with the discrete video card) but its >$1000 and i would like to stay in the 15 inch range... but maybe i should check out some 17 inch laptops in person at futureshop and see how big they actually are
    Last edited by EK69; 04-01-2014 at 10:47 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by EK69

was this a recent purchase? which samsung did you get?

i am not one to include or preclude certain products just cuz of the brand name (except Sony VAIO... those things are wayy too expensive)

after browsing dell and futureshop/bestbuy i was gonna check out Memory Express's website next (they had quite a bit of ASUS and other brands before), but i got tired of laptop browsing and my ADD kicked in and watched tv instead lol

//edit
    i read this thread by FraserB already ( http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/i-need-a...postid=4267057 ) and specs wise the dell 7000 17 inch sounds good (even 1080p with the discrete video card) but its &gt;$1000 and i would like to stay in the 15 inch range... but maybe i should check out some 17 inch laptops in person at futureshop and see how big they actually are
    NO! TURN AWAY! DON'T LOOK INTO THE LIGHT!

Futureshop and Best Buy are the devil, don't ever go in there again. Memory Express has more selection, cheaper prices, better warranties and people that know what they're talking about. I tried to return a television mount to Futureshop 6 months ago and they demanded I give them my telephone number, they wouldn't take the return without it. I told them to fuck off and called their head office. I told them I was too embarrassed to say I was homeless and I don't have a phone, I sleep in the park at night. The lady was like, "Oh my God, I'm so sorry, here's your refund."

I bought my first laptop at Staples and paid extra for that extended warranty thing where they fix you up right away with any problems. My computer died so I gave it to them and 6 weeks later they said, "Oh, we forgot to send it out. We'll do that now." Really? So they sent it out, it came back and they said, "Oh, it looks like they didn't even look at it, we'll have to send it out again." A YEAR LATER they finally apologized and gave me my money back for fucking it up so many times.

I got my second laptop from Dell, the sales guy on the phone was amazing, he even told me he'd throw in a little media remote for free! BONUS! My laptop arrived and......no remote. I called the guy back, no answer. I emailed him, no answer. I called their office and was told he's on vacation, he'll call me as soon as he got back. No call. This guy turned into a ghost the second I sent my money, he vanished. I never did get my remote. Then I dropped the laptop on the floor like an idiot and got a little crack in the case. That little crack acted like a virus spreading to the rest of the machine, the laptop slowly disintegrated into a cracked up mess and eventually stopped working.

My third computer I wasn't fucking around, I got the Samsung Series 9 from Memory Express. And that's funny because I paid $1600 for it when it was on sale and now it's $800 regular price. I've had it 2 years now and it's still amazing, battery life is dropping a bit but I don't get that feeling like my old laptops where it's gotten too slow for me and I want to replace it. It has an i7 so it's still faster than most machines being sold today and it's 2 years old. I'm hoping it goes another 2-3 years.

I see you said you wanted a larger screen but take it from me, you don't. When I first got my laptop I got a 17 inch HP and it was huuuuuuuge. I thought I'd like it but I didn't. So then I got a 15 inch Dell and it was still too big, I couldn't fit it on the little airplane trays. So when I got my Samsung I got a 13.3 inch and it's perfect. It fits great on my lap, it fits great on the airplane and if I want a larger monitor for any reason I can use the HDMI output to hook it up to one. I've hooked it up to my television for movies a couple of times.

Bottom line, stay away from crap manufacturers like HP, Compaq, Gateway, MSI, even most Lenovo. And whatever you do, don't ever, ever, ever buy anything with Dell on it. Go to Memory Express, wait in line and simply talk to one of the guys at the counter, they'll walk you through the whole buying process. I don't know if you're a computer moron but they don't mind that stuff, they'll help you with any questions you have, even if you don't know where to start.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

Avoid HP! The last 2 HP's I've had, the HDX16 & Envy, both seems to lose it after a while due to overheating.

Luckily I've always kept my Envy on a CoolMaster Notepal and it's been fine.
    Seems like most HP's overheat

Bought the top end sony laptop 2 years back and the thing has been a gem. Was about 10% more than a comparable competitor computer but I got a bluray drive/1080p with it which has come in handy plus a few other perks comparables a didn't have.

My Ride

I have always been a Sony VAIO person myself, as I feel that the quality is worth the premium (I also use my laptop for video and photo editing while I am away from home). However, Sony VAIO is about to be no more, so I will have to consider other avenues in the future as well.

As for what everyone else is saying, I agree with pretty much all of it...

1- Stay away from HP. Far, far, away. Learn from others' mistakes and don'e waste your money.

2- Dell is awesome upfront, but dealing with them afterwards is a hassle.

3- MemEx is probably the best place to go. They're actually knowledgeable and not necessarily trying to push old stock like FS/BB employees would be.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by /////AMG
    Avoid HP! The last 2 HP's I've had, the HDX16 &amp; Envy, both seems to lose it after a while due to overheating.

My HP is 3 years old and goes into thermal shutdown if I use it for anything other than youtube videos. Even right out of the box it was running super hot and just got worse and worse. Plus the battery is already shot, and the case is super weak and flimsy on the bottom, feels like it will break just carrying it.

I won't be going back to HP. I'm in the same boat, looking for something better.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

i read this thread by FraserB already ( http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/i-need-a...postid=4267057 ) and specs wise the dell 7000 17 inch sounds good (even 1080p with the discrete video card) but its &gt;$1000 and i would like to stay in the 15 inch range... but maybe i should check out some 17 inch laptops in person at futureshop and see how big they actually are
    Might as well post up lol.

So far I love this one, no issues at all with it. I was a bit unsure about the Windows 8 app based interface but it was pretty quick to learn. They also have a 15" version that has similar specs to the one I picked up that is closer to what you want to spend.

Yes, I did go to Future Shop. But I also didn't pay what Dell sells them for on their website. If you do look at FS, talk with Cameron at the Shawnesey location.

Originally posted by /////AMG
    Avoid HP! The last 2 HP's I've had, the HDX16 &amp; Envy, both seems to lose it after a while due to overheating.

Oddly enough, I was switching from an HDX16 when I bought my current Dell. Had the same issue with heat, to the point when I could barely touch the bottom. Also, the battery crapped out fast.
    Last edited by FraserB; 04-02-2014 at 08:55 AM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Tesla Model 3 AWD

I personally have always stayed away from Sony, I don't think the premium is worth it at all. I think I have the same samsung series 9 as Mar and that thing is very very nice but its definitely in the higher end of things. I have also always had good luck with Dell. Asus is another brand I like, they get very good reviews. Stay away from all the big box stores unless you find a good sale.

I also agree with the 17 inch comment, its so big it defeats the purpose of a laptop. Monitors are so easy to connect these days that I would just go smaller and have the option to output to a monitor.

My Ride
    Silverado

Awesome thanks for all the info everyone!
    looks like i have a fair bit of reading and researching ahead of me now lol

Iam not a computer moron, but with laptops i can't go pick the parts i want and assemble it in a case like a desktop, so im stuck wading through the plethora of information and models and sub models of each of the major companies

- Looks like the HP envy is out (i never liked HP for reasons others have stated above already) but i thought i might try the HP envy line as i thought it was better, but i guess not lol same old HP shit

- I will for sure check out the Asus Vivobook that dirtsniffer pointed out, along with the other vivobook models there are and am still undecided on the Dell 7000 series as well (asus vivobook and dell 7000 look similar in style and specs). I also would not go with a plastic dell laptop as they tend to fall apart way too early as pointed out by you guys already. The dell 7000 series interests me because its metal/aluminum IIRC

- If i do settle on the dell 7000 series, i will for sure hit up Cameron at the Shawnessey location (is he a beyonder? or just someone u know FraserB ? cheaper = better, always )

- I wasn't really interested in Sony VAIO but i did have a look at some, but since VAIO is no longer going to be in business as pointed out, that is definitely out as well.

My current laptop is i believe 14.something inch and its pretty good size wise. Thats what is keeping me from going to the 17 inch laptops and am probably going to stay around 14 or 15. I will have to check out the 13 inch laptops (such as what Mar pointed out) in person to see if they are an ok size.

@Mar hahaha thats hilarious... they didnt question that even though u were homeless and sleep in a park why you bought a laptop in the first place? lol

//edit

Can someone point out if there is a difference between windows 8 and windows 8.1 ?? if you get a laptop with windows 8, can't you just upgrade to windows 8.1 ? by downloading the updates

It also looks like not a lot of laptops incorporate wireless AC yet ? except for some high end ones that are out of my price range.

And am I right when I assume an intel i5 - 3xxx CPU is the third gen, and the intel i5 - 4xxx CPU's are fourth gen haswell cpu's? i know AMD has some fucked up hierarchy with their names and i just wanted to make sure that Intel still distinguishes between generations in a not so idiotic way?
    Last edited by EK69; 04-02-2014 at 04:20 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

@Mar hahaha thats hilarious... they didnt question that even though u were homeless and sleep in a park why you bought a laptop in the first place? lol
    It was a television mount, I told them I work construction and my boss wanted me to buy it and invoice him back for it. It was for a customer.

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

I've owned a few Sony Vaio laptops. Like they are known for, they last forever! Con is the battery life I find lower, and they run a bit hotter. They also have really crappy sound, lol

I own two laptops now, best I've had, ever! A Samsung, and the other to my surprise is a Acer Notebook with SSD.....fast, and last 7 hours to a charge....couldn't be happier
    Honda/Acura guy

Can someone point out if there is a difference between windows 8 and windows 8.1 ?? if you get a laptop with windows 8, can't you just upgrade to windows 8.1 ? by downloading the updates
    8.1 changes a few things to make it easier to use without a touch screen. Boot straight to desktop is probably the biggest one.

You actually upgrade it from the Store not windows updates.

8/8.1 should only take a few days to get familiar with after that I find it easier to get around then win7 using all the shortcuts. My laptop came with win 7 and I loaded win 8/8.1 on.

I'm thinking of doing my desktop as well when I get a bigger SSD for it.
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Dell 7000 series is my vote. Spend a bunch of time researching myself (like 2 month) and settled on a 17 inch 7000 series but they make a 15 as well with everything you mentioned, touch and all, for under 1000. Dell also has coupons and dell advantage gets you another 5 percent off, as well as extra 2 percent from red flag deals if you order from dell directly.

15 inch version does not have an optical drive of any kind, 17 inch version has one. USB is all you need pretty much.

Win 8 to 8.1 is a free upgrade so no worries there.

Dell has a 17 version for under 1000 as well, with the specs you mentioned, as well as a higher spec one, which is the one I bought since my company was paying anyway.

Stay away from HP, my last laptop was an HP and all sorts of problems. Lenovo higher end is good as is Asus but when I was looking a few month back they didn't have too much stuff that fit my needs. The dell 7000 feels very premium compared to the rest I looked at, backlit keyboard too

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

With so many laptopp to choose from - I find the drive is the "critical mass" device that seems to fail all the time. This is also true with desktops.

Normally for ALL my clients I rip out the HDD and replace with an SSD. This solves 80% of issues I've found as laptops are tossed around too much and the drives take a beating.

I've owned a cheap POS 300$ HP with a 64gb SSD that lasted me 3 years (being tossed around) and now a $1400 ASUS that I dumped a 128GB SSD to complement a 500GB data drive.

I used to recommend Lenovo or Asus for quality, and if you wanted to take it up a notch, Sony or Samsung.

Now, it's ALL the same shit quality.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

My first laptop was a Acer Aspire TimelineX 15". Got about 6-7h battery life from it and it even came with a low-mid graphics card. Build quality was OK but I ended up getting it replaced by Memory Express because I bought their IPR.

Was replaced by a Asus Vivobook S56CM 15"(pretty much the same thing that dirtsniffer posted). I know Asus is loved by alot of people for their products, but this notebook was seriously a let-down for me. Was pretty heavy for the size/thickness, battery life seemed to get eaten up pretty quickly even with light loads(almost seems like Optimus doesn't run at all), and was pretty slow even with the 750GB hdd + 24gb SSD cache. I went through a couple of these notebooks as the first one had quite a few bad pixels and the touchpad was not even close to flush. Even the notebook that I've got now doesn't have a flush touchpad, it's tilted diagonally.

I just bought a Sony Vaio Flip 14(despite Vaio pulling out of NA for time being), and it's pretty good. Touchscreen+active digitizer, relatively good battery life(6h). Got it from Futureshop(which I hate) and PM'd with Canada Computers for the best deal possible. Build quality seems to be on par with the Apple and Samsung machines, but there are some engineering faults.

My recommendations:
    -Get a Haswell machine. Battery life seems to be ALOT better now, although that seems to be negated by manufacturers that think everyone needs a screen with higher resolution than 1080p.
    -Some might not agree with this, but DON'T get a machine with a resolution greater than 1080p. Windows doesn't scale very well with ultra high resolutions and you're going to be straining alot to see stuff, it's gonna appear VERY small especially on a laptop screen.
    -Buy from Memory Express whenever possible, but keep in mind that there may be some better pricematch opportunities from other retailers.

Machines that you might like:
    Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro
    Samsung ATIV Book 9
    ASUS Zenbook
    (all of the above contain SSD's that don't meet your storage requirement and exceed your budget, check for pricematch opportunities of you're going to pursue these)

Retailers to shop from:
    Memory Express
    NCIX
    Canada Computers
    Tigerdirect(don't actually buy from here, just check for pricematch opportunities)
    Newegg.ca(same thing as above, plus the fact that they sell stuff regarded as "gray area" where their warranties may not apply in Canada)
    Last edited by cyra1ax; 04-03-2014 at 07:23 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by cyra1ax
    -Some might not agree with this, but DON'T get a machine with a resolution greater than 1080p. Windows doesn't scale very well with ultra high resolutions and you're going to be straining alot to see stuff, it's gonna appear VERY small especially on a laptop screen.
    You can adjust the resolution down, no matter how high the video card will support.

Originally posted by cyra1ax

-Buy from Memory Express whenever possible, but keep in mind that there may be some better pricematch opportunities from other retailers.
    Memory Express price matches too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast