Quantcast
"Peace officer" brutality. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: "Peace officer" brutality.

Default "Peace officer" brutality.

Had a late night tuesday night, and got stuck taking the last bus out of downtown.

It happens once every few years... and there's always some weird shit going down on the "last bus"

This time around, there's some guy laying down passed out in the front seats. Bus driver shakes him several times to wake him, fails, and radios it in.

Passengers grumble and make jokes while we wait.

10 minutes later two peace officers show up. I hear "Hey buddy", and see the officers reach down and do something to the guy and he starts screaming and struggling. Couldn't see exactly what they did, but looked like some kind of pain compliance move. Screams go on for about 10 seconds, and then suddenly stop. They lift him up and drag him out.

Fucking assholes went right from "0" to "10". There was no threat, and there was no provocation, and really, there wasn't much urgency.

I'd much rather have waited through a minute of vigorous shaking then hearing some poor fuck screaming in pain at the front of my bus.

Wished I'd had a brain to get it on video. I don't know how this *cannot* be assault.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default Re: "Peace officer" brutality.

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
    Had a late night tuesday night, and got stuck taking the last bus out of downtown.

It happens once every few years... and there's always some weird shit going down on the "last bus"

This time around, there's some guy laying down passed out in the front seats. Bus driver shakes him several times to wake him, fails, and radios it in.

Passengers grumble and make jokes while we wait.

10 minutes later two peace officers show up. I hear "Hey buddy", and see the officers reach down and do something to the guy and he starts screaming and struggling. Couldn't see exactly what they did, but looked like some kind of pain compliance move. Screams go on for about 10 seconds, and then suddenly stop. They lift him up and drag him out.

Fucking assholes went right from "0" to "10". There was no threat, and there was no provocation, and really, there wasn't much urgency.

I'd much rather have waited through a minute of vigorous shaking then hearing some poor fuck screaming in pain at the front of my bus.

Wished I'd had a brain to get it on video. I don't know how this *cannot* be assault.
    So, you can't see what they did, yet you jump to conclusions.

You are the problem with today's society.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Grimace

Also, many of the people peace officers deal with are usuals so they probably deal with the same people often and get tired of their shit....

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

As much force as is reasonably necessary.

Pain compliance such as a pressure point is totally justified.

And assault? Please. Educate yourself a little.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Maybe next time he'll get the fuck up and move when asked?

I'd say their methods were pretty effective.

Default Re: Re: "Peace officer" brutality.

Originally posted by spikers

So, you can't see what they did, yet you jump to conclusions.
    Next time I will be sure to find out of it was a wrist lock, or kneeling on his nuts.

Originally posted by spikers

You are the problem with today's society.
    If today's society requires unnecessary escalation to get the job done, then call me a problem!

Originally posted by btimbit
    Maybe next time he'll get the fuck up and move when asked?

I'd say their methods were pretty effective.

Gradual escalation would also have been effective.

But perhaps less satisfying.

My Ride
    changes every year

Lol at the title, brutality pfftt

Default Re: Re: Re: "Peace officer" brutality.

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
    If today's society requires unnecessary escalation to get the job done, then call me a problem!
    You're the problem.

You said you couldn't see what the officers did, so how exactly do you know it was "unnecessary escalation"?

I see no issue here. Dummy was passed out on the bus, why would the officers bother shaking him awake when you said the driver already tried that "several times" with no success?

Here's a tip, don't pass out on a bus, problem solved.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

You should have had your cell out recording the interaction, society needs to get in the habit of documenting authority interactions to keep everyone accountable.

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    Here's a tip, don't pass out on a bus, problem solved.
    I like how you blame the OP for not knowing the whole story and then you go on to cast judgement without knowing the whole story.
    What if he had a medical condition such as diabetes that caused him to pass out from low blood sugar?

I'm not defending the guy passed out on the bus but I'm just saying we don't really know the whole story, especially without video.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 04-04-2014 at 07:23 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

I don't see what the problem is here. They came in and removed the individual in a quick and effective manner. People will always bitch at how authorities deal with these types of situations. If they took 15 mins to remove him "peacefully" then someones going to bitch about how they took too long. If they do it effectively then again people bitch about unnecessary force.
    Let's call a spade a spade. If the driver calls it in, he probably doesn't want him on his bus.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

The officer was likely invoking slightly painful stimuli to attain a reaction from a person who was drunk/high. It's what they're trained to do. It happens.

Do some further investigation before you start throwing around words like, "Assault" and "Brutality" when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

My Ride
    2013 Raptor

Some people need to be educated about what "assault" and "brutality" is.

In the same vein as the old "do you want me to stop or do you want me to slow down?" joke.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Yeah, gotta agree with the rest. It's forceful, but if you don't want people to treat you like crap you better not be crap.

And if you're passed out on a bus to the point of not even responding, you're either a young guy being an idiot - to which you need a lesson, or an adult being an idiot and more than likely ARE crap too, in which case he needs a lesson as well.

Now, if the story was they started beating on him with batons for no reason - then that's the kind of shit you get on video.

And Modelexis - believe me - the cops are very well aware of the proliferation of social media and technology. They are very much accountable.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 12:43 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Originally posted by Kloubek

And Modelexis - believe me - the cops are very well aware of the proliferation of social media and technology. They are very much accountable.
    hard to convince a guy who clearly believes he lives in a police state...
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

There was some guy trying to break into cars by my building once, he was high as a kite. People phoned the cops so he started to get the inclination to leave the scene. I distracted him, told him to draw some of the shit he was seeing into a patch of dirt on the ground. He decided to stay and peacefully draw.

The police showed up and pulled some tasers, got the cuffs ready and generally got ready to fight. I said "He has not been violent" and they said "yeah but we don't know what he's on". They approached him and, without touching him, identified themselves as police.

Dude fucking lost his shit. They had to forcefully restrain him.

You can't just say "I never saw what happened but police brutality" without actually seeing it. The police force people into custody all the time, its commonplace. Just because a person does not want to go into custody and screams about it does not make it abuse.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I don't think we live in a police state relatively speaking, but I'm also aware of the need to be conscious of the fact that things can go that direction if people allow it to.

Canada is not immune to corruption and power abuse.
    I don't think it's wise to rely solely on things like ASIRT to hold police responsible for their actions and curb abuse. It's been shown in the past that ASIRT is not immune to corruption and power abuse themselves.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 04-04-2014 at 09:39 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I can tell you from experience that some people will cry and scream the moment they are touched by someone in uniform....and then submit a formal complaint for a routine arrest.

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

Originally posted by Benny
    The officer was likely invoking slightly painful stimuli to attain a reaction from a person who was drunk/high. It's what they're trained to do. It happens.

Bingo. The most common technique used by Cops and Paramedics is called the "sternum rub". Its used to determine if a person is unconsious or not. Its so effective its taught to EMS students all over. You will feel it, and you will probably wake up with a "mother fucker what the fuck is that" look on your face. Its used because it works.

Something like that was used because the PO's arent going to stand around going "hey, wake up" for 10 mins while theirs a bus full of people waiting around to get home. Their going to determine quickly if he needs immediate medical attention (and if you dont wake up from a sternum rub odds are you do), then remove him from the bus so it can be on its merry way.

OP, you only claim they "assaulted" him when they woke him up. You make no mention of him screaming or fighting when they took him off the bus. This leads me to believe that they werent hurting him during his removal, only when waking him up.
    Koenigsegg, what started as a dream just blew your doors off.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast