Quantcast
Measles outbreak - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Measles outbreak

Default Measles outbreak

Hope you all got either the Vax or the Disease as kids, cuz things are gonna get interesting...

"Weeks away from measles outbreak being over"
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...over-1.2597299

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Just let it run its course, itll never come back after that.

I think it was 1984? that the measles last went through Calgary right around halloween. Could have been the mumps.

Half the city was down, lol.

Its amazing though, that in the last couple decades - nothing really hit any major Canadian city.

Dieseases like that are nasty though, I swear I thought my eyeballs were going to pop in my head. Nasty.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-04-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride

I had the mumps in my first year of university. I actually got it AFTER getting the shot, too. I dunno if I had just already contracted it by the time I sucked it up enough to voluntarily get a needle or what, but it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Hopefully this wont spread too widely, although I'm sure the media is going to have a field day with it...

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

Originally posted by ZenOps
    I think it was 1984? that the measles last went through Calgary right around halloween. Could have been the mumps.

Half the city was down, lol.
    My uncle told me he caught them at Southcentre Mall during that time. Has never been back their since lol.
    Koenigsegg, what started as a dream just blew your doors off.

Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler
    I had the mumps in my first year of university. I actually got it AFTER getting the shot, too. I dunno if I had just already contracted it by the time I sucked it up enough to voluntarily get a needle or what, but it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Hopefully this wont spread too widely, although I'm sure the media is going to have a field day with it...
    They already have. "Outbreak"! We're all going to die!

FFS. You'll get more diseases from a grocery cart.

BTW media...Vaccination DOES NOT mean immunization.

Better stock up on those fruits and vegetables

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by Seth1968
    They already have. "Outbreak"! We're all going to die!
    Lie

Originally posted by Seth1968 [B]
    FFS. You'll get more diseases from a grocery cart.
    Lie

[B]Originally posted by Seth1968
    BTW media...Vaccination DOES NOT mean immunization.
    Half-Truth

AHS orders more than 100 unvaccinated students to stay home to prevent measles spread
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...178/story.html

Yup, no social cost at all to choosing to not allow your children to be vaccinated. All this money wasted on "home schooling" because parents are stupid, as well as all the money we're wasting on testing them.

This alone is perfect evidence why vaccinations should be compulsory, with only medical reasons for exclusion. We the taxpayers are now on the hook for their stupidity, just like we'll be on the hook when they take their sick kid to the hospital.
    Last edited by codetrap; 04-05-2014 at 09:09 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Exploded.

Measles party!

Originally posted by codetrap
    Lie

Lie

Half-Truth

Holy fuck drama queen.

Take a pill

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by flipstah
    Measles party!
    sounds better than #SusAnalBumParty

I just fininished sending out all the invites for my measles party, and Jenny McCarthy's coming!

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
    I just fininished sending out all the invites for my measles party, and Jenny McCarthy's coming!

That's about as lame as your name.

Originally posted by Seth1968

That's about as lame as your name.
    You're a mean stranger.

As it happens, neither of my daughters have had the measles shot, but it something that's been on our mind lately.. In fact, older daughter's been asking me about getting "her shots" today - She's been hearing it talked about somewhere. She had an adverse reaction as a baby, and after spending a couple of years working through the aftermath, we lost enthusiasm for the exercise.

Ultimately, I'm rather torn, so thought I'd engage my daughter this evening, and just ask her.

So we had a family chat today about measles - Which would she prefer?

a) Getting a needle that will probably keep them from getting sick, and they'd need a couple of more needles over the next two years, and probably a couple more when they get older. It would probably keep them from getting sick from the measles, but it would still be possible. I did not tell her about her adverse reaction as a baby - I believe she'd tolerate it better now.

b) They skip the needle, but instead they get very sick for a week and stay home with daddy. After that they'd never get the measles again, nor would they need to get the needle for measles again.

And her answer is....

Older Daughter said she'd prefer the needle. I'm not entirely comfortable with that, but her stated preference won't be dismissed, either.

Default path for most seems to be to get the shot, but from what I can tell, it doesn't give full immunity, and just obligates my daughter to a lifetime of more shots.... OTOH, measles is unpleasant for her, and a week of lost work for me.

Need to think about it more. Perhaps this thread will present an opportunity to help process.

And my name, Seth1968, is a great name.

My Ride
    My Bike

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow

b) They skip the needle, but instead they get very sick for a week and stay home with daddy. After that they'd never get the measles again, nor would they need to get the needle for measles again.
    That sounds awesome, how do you plan to avoid the 15% chance of hospitalization, and the less common side effects of blindness, deafness, brain damage, and death (1-3 in 1000)?

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by sheik_yerbouti

That sounds awesome, how do you plan to avoid the 15% chance of hospitalization, and the less common side effects of blindness, deafness, brain damage, and death (1-3 in 1000)?
    By letting the children have a say in something they don't understand and are completely incapable of making the decision for, of course!

Let's just get measles and stay home with daddy and eat ice cream and watch cartoons! Oh wait, little Timmy at school got measles from us and died because we didn't know we were infectious before the characteristic rash began. We just had a minor cough and kept going to school. Oh well... Ice cream!

These statistics are not lost on me, but I'd like to find out more about them. Of the 1 to 3 that died, was it one, or was it three? Were they cancer kids, or healthy? Are these North American statistics, or global?

These statistics are not lost on me, but I'd like to find out more about them. Of the 1 to 3 that died, was it one, or was it three? Were they cancer kids, or healthy? Are these North American statistics, or global?

Originally posted by codetrap
    Lie

Lie

Half-Truth

AHS orders more than 100 unvaccinated students to stay home to prevent measles spread
    http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...178/story.html

Yup, no social cost at all to choosing to not allow your children to be vaccinated. All this money wasted on "home schooling" because parents are stupid, as well as all the money we're wasting on testing them.

This alone is perfect evidence why vaccinations should be compulsory, with only medical reasons for exclusion. We the taxpayers are now on the hook for their stupidity, just like we'll be on the hook when they take their sick kid to the hospital.
    100 students not vaccinated at just one high school in the city - frankly, that numbers absolutely astonishes me as I would've never expected that number to be so high.

As one who has had measles, mumps, rubella (German measles) and chicken pox, I can assure you that these illnesses are not pleasant to deal with and in fact, when I was a kid (yeah, just after dinosaurs finished up walking the earth) there were a number of instances where other families in the communities that we lived in lost children to these diseases.

Worse yet, is how much worse these illnesses are when experienced as an adult which these 100 teens are basically on the cusp of being.

Our three kids (now 15-22) were all vaccinated - there was not a wisp of a thought of not doing it from myself or my wife and yet we watch the news last night and are agog that so many students at one high school don't have the MMR vaccine. Is it laziness on the parent's part (we know that to be the case in some of the families we know) or is there something else at play here?

Certainly there are a fair number of cases where little Sally/Tommy won't be vaccinated because they're too precious and Mom/Dad don't want them to possibly be in tears because of a needle and my suspicions that this becoming more the norm then not. So then Mom/Dad will cart little Sally/Tommy off to our already stressed health system expecting some miracle pill to address their now-not-so-little one's woes - all because they didn't do the right thing some 10-15 years ago. One can only hope that any of these 100 kids who could very well come down with measles only experience a regular case of measles and none of the more serious issues that one can as an adult up to and including death or life-long complications.

Back in the mid 80's, our entire high school (small town school of less than 200 people) )was vaccinated for measles, and the next year over 30% of the school was out with the measles, myself included... They said it was the wrong vaccination we received but who really knows.

Both my kids are now teens and were vaccinated throughout their childhood. Both caught chicken pox and that was about it. I don't believe in vaccinating people with everything under the sun because I do think the human body is better left to cope with things like the flu, but any of the major stuff I don't mind lining up me or my family up for a shot.
    Last edited by tirebob; 04-06-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast