Quantcast
2014 CSCC/SASC autoslalom/autox Season Schedule and information - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 CSCC/SASC autoslalom/autox Season Schedule and information

My Ride
    '03 S2000

"I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 03:25 PM.

My Ride
    '87 Merkur XR4Ti, '75Nova Custom, '04 CBR600RR

So here's a question - As a complete newcomer to the autocross scene, what does one have to do to get in on this action? Would I need a membership with the SCCC or some other club? Event pre-registration? Competition license?

Inquiring minds wish to know - I've always wanted to try my hand at some technical driving!
    Live fast, Die young - But make sure you look good doing it, aye?

My Ride
    Honda S2000

Originally posted by SecondReversal
    So here's a question - As a complete newcomer to the autocross scene, what does one have to do to get in on this action? Would I need a membership with the SCCC or some other club? Event pre-registration? Competition license?

Inquiring minds wish to know - I've always wanted to try my hand at some technical driving!
    Membership not required, but it does save you money over the season (there is a premium price to pay if you aren't a member of a club).

Pre-registration makes the registration desk people happier, since they can have all/most of your info already in the computer. But, not required.

Competition license not required. Just show up with a vehicle that has no fluid leaks, good suspension, good (non-bald) tires, and isn't so tall as to pose a safety risk. e.g. your SUV probably won't be allowed to run.

In other words, just show up on time and you can run. If you are feeling really doubtful, show up and go for ride alongs for the day. No cost, and it will give you a small idea of how much fun you can have. Run your own car, and you get all of the fun for a small extra cost (we still give ride alongs).
    The best part of life isn't around the corner. It IS the corner.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Might be a dumb question, as Im completely new to this as well but... As on Karelo

26-Apr-14 SASC Novice Solo School Fort Macleod, AB
    26-Apr-14 SASC Practice #1 Fort Macleod, AB
    Whats the difference between the two? Class time vs seat time? Both have the same description, would I have to sign up for both?

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    is broken

Registered!

Originally posted by Joe-G

Whats the difference between the two? Class time vs seat time? Both have the same description, would I have to sign up for both?
    I asked the same question on the
    CSCC Forum
    Look at post 23.

tldr if your new signup for the school only.

See you guys out there!

My Ride
    '03 S2000

This is the nice thing about autoslalom or autox (as the Americans call it): It is grass roots motorsports and you need very little to get started! However, don't let that fool you because it is actually quite difficult to get a really good run in!

So, what you need:

1. A helmet - motorcycle or M (must be Snell-rated, DOT sticker is not enough), or S or SA 2005 or newer I believe. If you do not have a helmet, borrow one from a friend, buy one or borrow one at the event (we have spares). The best is to have your own if possible. SUV's and other high-center-of-gravity vehicles are NOT allowed. Besides, you would not want to roll your vehicle I am sure!

2. Ensure your car is in good working condition (no leaks, corded tires, soft brakes, loose battery - will fly around if not secure) etc.

3. Register on-line on www.karelo.com (use their search engine and search for SASC and you will find our listing of events). You can buy a SASC membership (CSCC or other WCMA club membership is also acceptable) on Karelo as well although it is not necessary .... however it does get you a $10 discount at every event as well as eligibility for club trophies at the end of the year ... as well as getting to know other members better being a part of the group. Note that you can use a credit card or debit card to pay on-line.

4. While on Karelo, you will find links to rules, a map for the airport at Fort Macleod (basically in the SW corner of the Town), and other information pertinent to the event.

5. First run is about 10 am however, you will want to arrive early (chance to talk to others about set-up, walk the course (you do not get to pre-run the course ... so give yourself time to do this!...maybe even hook up with an expert for advice on lines and other info for the course walk). Typically we will be on-site about 7-7:30 am to set up the course etc.....however if you get there for about 8 am you should be good.

6. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to drive south on Hwy 2 to get to the site from the south end of Calgary.....plus more if you live in the NW like me .... 2 hrs typically for me.

7. Once at the site, empty all loose items (including detectors, phones, mugs, shoes old clothing etc. etc. ) out of the car and trunk: They are a safety hazard since they could and WILL fly around due to the extreme maneuving you will be doing and could get wedged under the brake pedal. Even worse, something could fly under your gas pedal and you could have a seriously slow run!!! ). Just empty the car ... and maybe even the floor mats (which can also slide around and are dead weight). In fact, anything you don't need for the day, leave at home!

8. Pump up your tires at the site (bring a small air pump or air tank if you have one) or nearby at a garage.....I suggest around 40 psi all around to start and then listen to advice from guys at the site for your particular car and tires to adjust. If you run street pressures you will end up rolling the tires onto the sidewalls in most cases.

9. Be prepared for any kind of weather - rain gear (yes, we run in the rain ... which can be quite interesting and challenging), umbrella (can use for sun also!), coat, good shoes for working (yes we work in between sets of runs ... otherwise no one will pick up cones), sun screen, something to snack on, water/drink (no alcohol or drugs please) although we do normally supply water and take a lunch break and run into town for that, a comb for your helmet rot (or a ball cap will do in a pinch ) and maybe even some kind of bags or tarp to put your spare stuff on and shield from rain while you are running.

10. Make sure you come out to learn and also have some fun ... the latter is probably the most important thing! LOL

11. Ask for help, ask questions, go for ride-alongs (yes, they are allowed) with more experienced drivers to see what they are doing or even ask someone to drive your car to see what they do differently.

A lot of us stay overnight at Fort Macleod ... not many motels but they are cheap and clean ... and we go out for dinner/beers on the Saturday night and then run again on Sunday!

But, make sure you have some fun! We will! LOL

R
    Last edited by reijo; 04-07-2014 at 10:59 PM.

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Oh, and you only need a regular driver's licence to run ... no special competition licences are required (another beauty of autox).

You could also sign up at the site and pay in cash ... however we prefer you register beforehand so we can more easily input you in the timing 'puter.

Think that's about it. sounds like a lot but really it is fairly straight forward after a time or two.

So, c'mon down for some fun!

Reijo

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Here's a little teaser run from the SCCA National Tour in San Diego this last weekend with Max Hayter driving his BRZ and doing a fine job of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb2h...ature=youtu.be

Enjoy!

R

My Ride
    '03 S2000

I see Murray and I doubled our responses ... lol. I think he's fast on a key board as well as behind the wheel! LOL

R

My Ride
    '87 Merkur XR4Ti, '75Nova Custom, '04 CBR600RR

Alright, well, in it to win it I suppose - Reg'd for the Novice School, see you crazy kids out there on Saturday!
    Live fast, Die young - But make sure you look good doing it, aye?

My Ride
    Evo, civic

Reijo, PM'd

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Would love to do the novice school coming up soon here, but not sure if my car will be ready. How do you handle refunds? (If at all)
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    '03 S2000

If you register on Karelo, there is a $5 fee for a cancellation but it must be done before the registration is closed usually 6 pm on the day before or the Friday before the weekend).....by then I would think you should know whether you can make it or not?

You can see the registration closing date and time when you go on Karelo (before registering).

Otherwise you could also pay on-site in a pinch although we would prefer if you register on-ine so that we do not have to enter you into the computer on-site (it saves us some time if people register on-line so you can get more runs and also later in handling money).

ALSO, I had an email from Karelo about the "heart whatever" issue in that they are not affected by this "bug" and it is safe to use their system.

R

My Ride
    '03 S2000

PM answered.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Signed up! See you there, I'll will be in the '07 WRB STi. Just picked up a set of Bridgestone Pole Position S-04's today too.

Now to find a helmet and buy a GoPro.

EDIT: Reijo, what can we expect to cover on Saturday? Thanks for taking the time to reply on here.
    Last edited by Canmorite; 04-14-2014 at 09:18 PM.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

I'm registered for the practice and event 1, can't wait!

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    I'm registered for the practice and event 1, can't wait!
    They look to be on the same day at the same time...no?

My Ride
    something green

Is there any noise restrictions for these events?
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    is wild

Originally posted by Maxt
    Is there any noise restrictions for these events?
    This is no joke...but on the plus side there will be no bugs at the event

Reasons why Drumheller area wouldn't make a good race track venue...

Originally posted by Agera_56
    My wife likes to shop but, I'm sorry, Drumheller isn't going to cut it in that regard (sorry guys, but honestly, if she's happy, I'm happy).

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast