Quantcast
Spring Install - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Spring Install

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Default Spring Install

New FRS, new springs into stock struts, rear springs no bushings or lca changes.

FRS forums have guys doing it in 2 hours with hand tools on the trackside, or shops installing for 200-300 incl alignment. So far I'm hearing 800+ locally...

I searched but results are 2007-2009 and I always used Tunedub for VW stuff.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Speedoptions, Garage Box, Zero Limit Auto, all in no particular order. Have to be careful when unbolting the top hat though. You don't want to unscrew the internals of the shock (spin the piston).

I'd take it to Jackie at Zero Limit. They have an alignment rack as well. Can't comment on how much it will cost exactly, but I'm sure it'll be no where near as much as $800 all said and done.
    Last edited by Joe-G; 04-08-2014 at 09:32 PM.

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Exactly what joe said hit any of those guys up, price will def be nowhere near $800+

should be around 400-500. If you have no luck let me know
    Euro

My Ride

Thanks for the suggestions! I may still do it myself just because of the hassle of having to leave the car for a day.

For whatever reason the book rate for springs is 6.5 hrs. Zero Limit has to quote book but will charge actual time - I'm betting it's under 3 hrs easy.

My Ride
    B7 avant

Tunerworks can do it no problem, we also have an alignment machine.
    feel free to call for a quote
    403-452-8460

My Ride

Tunerworks, same book rate - 6.5 hrs.

I'm going to do it myself, no lift, no air tools, in my garage with no experience whatsoever (just DIY videos). I will post my total time spent (will wait until switching winter->summer wheels though).

I think Tunerworks still has one of the better alignment setups though?

Give Speedoptions a call they did my buddy BMW 335i convertible for a good deal.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Khyron
    Tunerworks, same book rate - 6.5 hrs.

I'm going to do it myself, no lift, no air tools, in my garage with no experience whatsoever (just DIY videos). I will post my total time spent (will wait until switching winter->summer wheels though).

I think Tunerworks still has one of the better alignment setups though?
    Have fun! It wasn't toooo bad using a hoist but I would hate to be doing it on jack stands.

My Ride
    2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series M/T

i did mine myself in the garage on jack stands with hand tools. it took maybe 4 hours to install H&R super sports on my FR-S.

just a heads up:

you'll need a pass-thru gear ratchet and a long allen key to undo the center nut on the struts. i can lend you mine if you need them.

for the rears, there's a trick to replace the rear springs without pulling the shocks away from the LCAs and will save you some time because once you separate these, it's a bit frustrating trying to get the lower shock bolt holes to line up with the holes on the LCAs.

while the car is still on the ground, loosen the center nut on top of the struts but keep the two nuts holding the strut mount. as you jack the car up, the strut mount and the car separate from the shock allowing you to pull the spring out. then remove the wheel, pull the strut towards you and replace the spring.

My Ride

Originally posted by azian.advanced
    i did mine myself in the garage on jack stands with hand tools. it took maybe 4 hours to install H&R super sports on my FR-S.

just a heads up:

you'll need a pass-thru gear ratchet and a long allen key to undo the center nut on the struts. i can lend you mine if you need them.

for the rears, there's a trick to replace the rear springs without pulling the shocks away from the LCAs and will save you some time because once you separate these, it's a bit frustrating trying to get the lower shock bolt holes to line up with the holes on the LCAs.

while the car is still on the ground, loosen the center nut on top of the struts but keep the two nuts holding the strut mount. as you jack the car up, the strut mount and the car separate from the shock allowing you to pull the spring out. then remove the wheel, pull the strut towards you and replace the spring.
    Yah I've been reading all the DIYs and doing that for both front and back saves a lot of hassle. I'm going to buy a set of crowfoots on the socket so I can use my tq wrench - http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/W...-Set/8259541.p

Should be entertaining, though looking outside it may still be a few weeks before switching to summer mode.

My Ride

Yah I've been reading all the DIYs and doing that for both front and back saves a lot of hassle. I'm going to buy a set of crowfoots on the socket so I can use my tq wrench - http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/W...-Set/8259541.p

Should be entertaining, though looking outside it may still be a few weeks before switching to summer mode.
    Thought I'd post an update.

I used jackstands, and bought the required open sockets and crowfoots etc at Princess. I did the header first which was pretty straight forward in about 2 hours.

Springs were on track to be less than 2 hours, but my front sway end links were rusted/seized so vice grips/air socket took awhile to get em off.

But seriously, how do pro shops with lifts and actual mechanics justify a 6.5 hour book rate on a job a complete novice could do in under 2? You bet your butt I'd have still be charged extra for the links/labor. The USA shops are all about 2-3 hrs so it can't just be "a bad book".

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Book rate in Calgary has to take into account seized or rusted hardware which would require cutting or drilling out hardware. Book time needs to take into account worse case scenario.

But seriously, how do pro shops with lifts and actual mechanics justify a 6.5 hour book rate on a job a complete novice could do in under 2? You bet your butt I'd have still be charged extra for the links/labor. The USA shops are all about 2-3 hrs so it can't just be "a bad book".
    2 hours to install.. .5 hour break.. 4 hours of quality checks.. lol
    Curse you imageshack..

I did a set on my co-workers BRZ, took less than 3 hours, but I had hoist, air tools spring compressor ect ect....

My Ride
    changes every year

I'm looking for someone to install springs on my '11 128i but I don't want to spend $600 that these guys are getting quoted.

Usually is do them myself, but I don't have time. Anyone on here recommend someone that can do it?

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

pm'd!

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    changes every year

Pm replied, thanks Joe-g