Quantcast
Windows Phone 8.1 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows Phone 8.1

Default Windows Phone 8.1

Anyone try it yet? I'm downloading right now on my 920.

Really looking forward to Cortana and action center. Besides those two, there's a huge list of new features:
    http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-features

Here are instructions to install the beta:
    •Sign up to be a Windows Phone developer at appstudio.windowsphone.com for free using the Microsoft account associated with your phone.
    •Get the Preview for Developers app from the Windows Phone Store (QR code below)
    •Run the app and sign in with your Microsoft account.
    •Check for updates (Settings > Phone update > Check for updates) and download/install any that are available. You’ll have an update to download and install before Windows Phone 8.1 shows up if you’re downloading the Preview for Developers program for the first time.
    Last edited by sabad66; 04-14-2014 at 09:57 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

As much as I want to do this, I did the developer preview for the last major update, and quickly realized a few things stopped working because it doesn't include driver updates from the manufacturer, and any carrier specific updates as well.

Let me know if these work with the dev preview:
    - MMS
    - Rogers My Account app

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by hampstor
    As much as I want to do this, I did the developer preview for the last major update, and quickly realized a few things stopped working because it doesn't include driver updates from the manufacturer, and any carrier specific updates as well.

- MMS
    - Rogers My Account app
    What model of phone do you have?

I have a 1020 and never had those issues. I think it could be model related.

I'll test MMS today, I can't test "My Account" since I'm on a corporate plan and don't have access to it anyways.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

- MMS
    - Rogers My Account app
    No problem with messaging that I have seen. The Rogers account app fails to authenticate however. *edit have to turn wifi off and it works. Weird because on Android it works on Wifi or data.

Aside from that 8.1 is great update. Still needs some tweaks here an there but it brings it closer to Android and iOS in may regards. Cortana is more like Siri meets Google now which is a good thing.
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 04-16-2014 at 05:21 PM.

I want to buy a windows phone just to play with this, what models will it run on - also is it easy to go back to "stock"? Very little experience with WP for me, feel way more comfortable messing with android stuff.
    "I think 90% of motorcycle racing is between the ears." -Kevin Schwantz

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Originally posted by tawheed
    I want to buy a windows phone just to play with this, what models will it run on - also is it easy to go back to "stock"? Very little experience with WP for me, feel way more comfortable messing with android stuff.
    Lumia 520 is the cheapest way to get into WP. It will receive the 8.1 update. $100 or less outright at most places.

Originally posted by tawheed
    It will run on any Win 8 phone. Personally I've only used a 920... It's a little bulky but overall a pretty good phone. I imagine you would be able to find a used one for 200 or less.

1020 is the flagship right now, or if you're into phablets the 1520 is really nice but probably expensive/impossible to find used rigth now.
    Last edited by sabad66; 04-17-2014 at 03:24 PM.

My Ride
    Audi

Just did the update - MMS still works

I don't seem to have Cortana tho... not sure how to start her? (Lumia 920)

Hold the search button down to activate cortana

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

Just did the update - MMS still works

I don't seem to have Cortana tho... not sure how to start her? (Lumia 920)
    Not available outside of the US. If you havent already you need to change your location and language to US.

My Ride
    Audi

Originally posted by ZEDGE

Not available outside of the US. If you havent already you need to change your location and language to US.
    Did that and it worked thanks!

Felt a bit nerdy. When asked what name Cortana should call me by, I entered "Chief"

On another note, did they removed native Facebook integration? It seems everything is now pulled thru the Facebook app instead of done natively (it's not in the accounts page anymore).

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Did that and it worked thanks!

Felt a bit nerdy. When asked what name Cortana should call me by, I entered "Chief"

On another note, did they removed native Facebook integration? It seems everything is now pulled thru the Facebook app instead of done natively (it's not in the accounts page anymore).
    I was going to say you had to take her out on a couple dates beforehand...

As for Facebook integration. It's a bit different. A lot of people (including me) thought they got rid of it.... But what you actually have to do is install the facebook app. Then sign in. One of the first messages you'll see after signing in is "Connect to my phone". This will enable all the facebook integration.

My Ride
    an econo box

Is there going to be an official update via the phone software update app?

I'm using a Rogers 1020 and it's not showing any update available.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by KrisYYC
    Is there going to be an official update via the phone software update app?

I'm using a Rogers 1020 and it's not showing any update available.
    Right now, all us guys running 8.1 got it because we are subscribed to the "Preview for Developers". It's a free program you can sign up for that allows you to install updates before carriers approve them for rollout via the Software Update tool.

It'll be some time before Rogers approves the updates, could be weeks, or months.

If you want to enable the "Preview for Developers", download and install this: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ca/st...c-038393741e96

Once you install, then run the app and check the checkbox, your phone will receive the updates from Microsoft.

Keep in mind, the firmware won't include any manufacturer firmware updates as part of this program.

When the manufactor releases firmware, or when the public Windows Phone 8.1 gets released, your phone WILL download it without a problem. So this will in no way cause any issues with future updates, or any other updates.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Is it stable to go for it? My 920 could use a facelift

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by flipstah
    On my corporate plan, I have 3 x 1020s and 1 x 920.

On all phones it's been extremely stable. And the features are just effin rad.

But I did notice one bug that affected 1 1020 and the 920. When I updated, there was two apps that didn't auto update. I also noticed that the "backup to the cloud" feature wasn't working. I actually noticed that a lot of the synchronization features didn't work after the update.

All I did was perform a factory reset to a clean 8.1 install. Configured the phone and everything is working flawlessly.

With this in mind, I'd say update, then do a factory reset and go from there. After doing this, there's no issues with the synchronization, etc...

My Ride
    BMW Z4 Coupe, XFR

I have a 920 and did this update. It is working really well. I like it, it has been a big improvement and getting the WP closer to where I would like to see it.

My Ride
    Exploded.

How do I get my purchased music back if I factory reset?

My Ride
    BMW Z4 Coupe, XFR

I did not have to do a factory reset. All my data was kept while doing this update. I have not purchased music directly on to my phone. Can you not move it to the computer and then transfer back?

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

How do I get my purchased music back if I factory reset?
    Open up Xbox music. It'll sign in and set everything up. It'll either re-download all the music, or it'll atleast show you the songs you've purchased. You can just tap on them to re-download.

Originally posted by Nate
    I did not have to do a factory reset. All my data was kept while doing this update. I have not purchased music directly on to my phone. Can you not move it to the computer and then transfer back?

Keep in mind, on my two problem devices everything looked fine (and it kept all my data). The big problem was though that it couldn't talk to my microsoft account... Which meant I had issues with LinkedIn, Twitter, apps, and backing up to OneDrive (it says it was, but it wasn't backing up anything).

The problem is virtually transparent until you use the device for a while. Keep an eye out for that, because if you think you're texts are being backed up (and it says it is), there's a chance it's not. I lost 2 days of texts until I noticed the problem. After doing a factory reset everything worked, but I lost the 2 days of texts, plus it wasn't saving any of my new theme/app information which is a new feature of Windows Phone 8.1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast