Quantcast
Five people have been killed after a stabbing at a house party in N.W. Calgary. - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Five people have been killed after a stabbing at a house party in N.W. Calgary.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    Hmmmmm... I wonder what could have stopped this heinous act quickly and efficiently...

Maybe a good guy with a gun?

Let the debate commence.
    ..or made it worse, a bad guy with a gun. I'm sure even responding to this risks a thread derailment but hopefully we can get it out of the way as the issue has been hammered to death. I have owned guns. They are tools for doing certain jobs like hunting. I have no issues with guns themselves.

But I don't like the fear that drives the gun culture in the states. I have good locks, a melee weapon to defend myself god forbid (being this Canada odds are I won't end up bringing a stick to a gun fight if someone breaks in).

I don't feel the need to have a gun for home defence. I don't want to ever feel like I need a gun for home defence. Even given current laws its quite simple to get a 12 gauge to defend my home if I want one. A few forms, wait a little and voila. But I don't feel the need for one. Looser gun laws might make me change my mindset on it. I would rather not need one at all then live my life thinking I should have a glock under my pillow. Should not have to think like that in a civilized society.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by jdmXSI

Doubt it, you'd have to be an amazing shot under stress. Even if youhad a shot gun, you'd still hit a couple innocent bystandards.
    Not that I want to see a gun debate, but I think many could make such a shot under stress. I would indeed be concerned about collateral damage though.

... And under no standard circumstances would it be a good idea for anyone to bring a gun to a party.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by frizzlefry

..or made it worse, a bad guy with a gun. I'm sure even responding to this risks a thread derailment but hopefully we can get it out of the way as the issue has been hammered to death. I have owned guns. They are tools for doing certain jobs like hunting. I have no issues with guns themselves.

But I don't like the fear that drives the gun culture in the states. I have good locks, a melee weapon to defend myself god forbid (being this Canada odds are I won't end up bringing a stick to a gun fight if someone breaks in).

I don't feel the need to have a gun for home defence. I don't want to ever feel like I need a gun for home defence. Even given current laws its quite simple to get a 12 gauge to defend my home if I want one. A few forms, wait a little and voila. But I don't feel the need for one. Looser gun laws might make me change my mindset on it. I would rather not need one at all then live my life thinking I should have a glock under my pillow. Should not have to think like that in a civilized society.
    Don't feed the troll

This is terrible news, and especially sad for the guys that just released their first ep. I can't imagine what their families are feeling right now, the inherent randomness of this has got to just be crushing.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Copied from http://www.heavy.com/news/2014/04/ma...-de-grood-son/

Matt de Grood has been named as the prime suspect in the Calgary party stabbing. Five people - four men and one woman, all in their 20s - were killed in the attack in the Brentwood neighbor. The victims were attending an end-of-year university party in Brentwood, Calgary, reports CBC. De Grood is 23 years old. The stabbing began at around 1:20 a.m. on April 15.

Here's what you need to know:

1. His Last Post on Facebook Read: 'The World Needs a Hero'

The Facebook message is related to the Megadeath song "Dread and the Fugitive Mind." He was arrested by police about 40 minutes after the 911 call was made on April 15. After fleeing the scene on foot, he was apprehended by cops using a K-9 unit. Before being booked into jail, he was taken to hospital to be treated for a dog bite. Cops are not looking for any other suspects, reports the Calgary Herald.

He's a University of Calgary graduate who was headed to law school. According to his Facebook page, he graduated from Calgary with a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a minor in law & society.

Police Chief Rick Hanson told the media in a press conference that he was an invited guest to the party. When he was there, he obtained a knife, he also brought "an instrument" from work but primarily used a knife he obtained at the scene and targeted his victims. He had just left his job at Safeway where he works as a produce clerk before going to the party.

2. He's the Son of a Calgary Cop

De Grood's father, Inspector Doug de Grood, has 33 years of experience in the Calgary police service. His family have expressed their extreme condolences and sorrow about the tragedy.

The Canadian Institute of Management, which describes itself as Canada's senior management association, lists Doug de Grood as a member. The non-profit organization was founded in 1942. Its website says it is "dedicated to enhancing managerial skills and professional development." it has more than 55,000 members in 17 branches throughout Canada.

In 2013, Matt de Grood finished 23rd overall in Calgary Police 5k.

Inspector Douglas de Grood of the Calgary Police is the father of Matthew de Grood, who's suspected of stabbing 5 people to death.

3. 2 of Those Killed at the Party Were in a Local Band

A neighbor, Doug Jones, told CBC that he saw about 20 people at the party:

When it started to get dark, they moved inside and once inside, you wouldn’t even be able to tell there was anything really even going on. It wasn’t loud at all.

Three of the victims in the attack were pronounced dead at the scene. Two more died at hospital after being put on life support. One more person was treated for minor injuries. Four of those who were killed were from Calgary, including the female victim. One of the men was 22 from Priddis. Two of those murdered have been named as Zackariah Rathwell and Josh Hunter.

Calgary party stabbing victim Zackariah Rathwell
    Zackariah Rathwell was one of those killed in the attack. (Facebook)

Rathwell and Hunter were in the popular local band, Zackariah & The Prophets. According to the band's Facebook page, they had just played at an album launch party on April 13.

Matt de Grood, son of Inspector Doug de Grood, is the suspect in the Calgary party stabbing in Brentwood near the University of Calgary.
    Click here to read more

4. There is no Motive Yet

Police have not released a motive for the stabbing., reports CP24. De Grood will be charged with first degree murder in the case. Drugs and alcohol are not considered a major factor in the attack.

One of de Grood's likes on Facebook is Cognitive behaviorial therapy. In addidtion, he's a fan of motivational speaker Chris Gardner, of whom the Will Smith movie The Pursuit of Happyness was based on.

5. The House Was Rented by University of Calgary Students

Neighbors in the area at the 100 block of Butler Crescent NW told CP24 that the house was rented by University of Calgary students. The students at the school had been celebrating a Bermuda shorts day party.

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

They have released the names of all the students killed:

CBC confirms identity of five victims: Josh Hunter. Zackariah Rathwell. Jordan Segura. Lawrence Hong and Kaitlin Perras"
    https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/456237277316784129

My condolences to all those who knew them. This is so horrible.
    Last edited by toastgremlin; 04-15-2014 at 07:31 PM.

My Ride
    Ferd Fteen Thousand

As mentioned earlier, it is totally possible for an otherwise brilliant young person to develop serious mental issues:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Eagan_Holmes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Forbes_Nash,_Jr.

Like John Nash most don't have issues with violence and can have productive lives, however you hear about the ones who snap because they are the ones who get into the news.

Nonetheless, I think we are really going to have to wait and see why it happened as there is so many variables to what could have caused this.

Since the attacker also sustained knife wounds it is possible that he was attacked in response and thats how/why he started attacking others. But it is typical for a person using a knife in an assualt to be injured aswell.

All speculation for now.
    Last edited by Maybelater; 04-15-2014 at 08:12 PM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Bath Salts?

That's just crazy.

RIP/

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Toma
    Bath Salts?

That's just crazy.

RIP/
    If not high or wasted, probably over lover. Love makes people raging mad.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

I honestly doubt he has a EDIT: schizophrenic disorder. Most are not violent and, when they are, there is a documented history of the disease. It creeps in slowly, it gets noticed. They usually are not considered to "snap" if they have a stable life beforehand as there is a pre-existing condition predicating the outburst that's most often documented and/or known about.

IF he has a mental disorder its most likely some sort of Sociopathic Narcissism. They can fit into society just fine and go unnoticed. But they can easily lash out with sudden violence at even the mildest perceived slight. His FB post before the attack seemed to implicate himself as a "hero". Could be the perceptions of a nut-job but more likely its the self infatuation of an offended narcissist. I would not be surprised if some sort of perceived social slight ends up being the root motive.

Either way, this is horrible. My thoughts go out to all involved, including the attackers family. Rick Hansen was on the verge of tears as he relayed an apology from the attacker's father to the families of the victims on the news. It sucks 6 ways from Sunday. Horrible.
    Last edited by frizzlefry; 04-15-2014 at 09:11 PM.

holy fuck i knew one of those guys

My Ride
    BB6

Originally posted by know1edge
    holy fuck i knew one of those guys
    Ditto. I went to high school with four of the victims.

Such a small world. My mind is bottled

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by nicknolte

Ditto. I went to high school with four of the victims.

Such a small world. My mind is bottled
    Sorry to hear that

Bad day overall in Canada..

in Regina... 4 people got stabbed at a mall :

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...tody-1.2611657

My Ride
    Lease

With the suspect supporting equality, last fb about hero etc. Almost feels as if the suspect felt the victims have wronged him or done something wrong.

My Ride
    BMW X1 35i MSport

Originally posted by natty54

Brentwood
    No, Crowfoot.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

I think as a society the best thing we can do is allow professionals to study this individual to figure out what the warning signs may have been so that society as a whole can be more aware of prevention measures to stop these crimes from happening in the future.

I also think the public deserves to know what the motive was and what the warning signs were.

Such a sad story...

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere the status of the suspect's mother, it mentions his father but what about his mother? What does she do and where is she in all of this? What role has she played in the life of her son?
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    POS Toyota

I read his father is dying, not sure if this has been verified yet.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by Modelexis
    I think as a society the best thing we can do is allow professionals to study this individual to figure out what the warning signs may have been so that society as a whole can be more aware of prevention measures to stop these crimes from happening in the future.

I also think the public deserves to know what the motive was and what the warning signs were.

Such a sad story...

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere the status of the suspect's mother, it mentions his father but what about his mother? What does she do and where is she in all of this? What role has she played in the life of her son?
    I agree but, depending on the nature of the condition (IF there is one) there cannot be any take aways from researching him that would help. If he is a Sociopathic Narcissist (or variation thereof) the very nature of the disorder inclines him to "fit in" and go undetected. Adhering to social conditions until offended somehow.

There may have simply been zero warning signs. Of the impending attack or of an antisocial disorder.

In the nature vs nurture argument I lean very heavy to nature. I would not be surprised if this kid's mom was wonderful. But, to put it bluntly, guy may have been "born bad". Sounds like a cop out but if this guy has some sort of Sociopathic Narcissism it would not be very hard for him to slip by through life without being noticed or suspected.

Matt de Grood's FB is down now.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 19 ... LastLast