Quantcast
Five people have been killed after a stabbing at a house party in N.W. Calgary. - Page 14 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Five people have been killed after a stabbing at a house party in N.W. Calgary.

My Ride
    G37S

Originally posted by frizzlefry
    People are wondering how he managed to kill these people without being stopped by other people there, perhaps the "instrument" was pepper spray?
    I'll just leave this here...

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Last edited by Seo219; 04-16-2014 at 03:33 PM.

My Ride
    dumpster trains

Turns out at least one of the five happens to be in the same degree and year with me at UC, pretty sure I have also had classes with the girl. RIP
    Originally posted by speedog
    So more beyond armchair activism at work again?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Seo219
    Damnit, don't go deleting your post while I'm typing a response.

I largely agree with what you posted, I should point out I wasn't saying he would not face a manslaughter charge, rather I was disagreeing with the implication that manslaughter would be the highest charge he would face/plea to. We'll just have to see how the evidence stacks up.

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Damnit, don't go deleting your post while I'm typing a response.

I largely agree with what you posted, I should point out I wasn't saying he would not face a manslaughter charge, rather I was disagreeing with the implication that manslaughter would be the highest charge he would face/plea to. We'll just have to see how the evidence stacks up.
    Haha, sorry! I've gotten a lot of flack for my opinion on other forums. I just figured I should start keeping my mouth shut with regards to this... Of course that didn't come to me until after I had already posted.

I'm curious to see how this will pan out, it'll probably take well over a year or two to find out though. Unless he pleads guilty to all charges, which is doubtful since Fay is known for his success in homicide cases.

Originally posted by Kona9
    My father worked with Doug De Grood. His career has about as much to do with the murders as BSD does. None!
    I thought the same, but here's why:

Due to the suspect's father's position with the police force, Crown prosecutors will be brought in from Edmonton to handle the case.
    Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...612078?cmp=rss

My Ride
    This and that.

We were speculating in the office which Crown from up here will be dealing with the case. I can think of a couple of really good ones that would go really hard but at the same time they can't necessarily afford the time off from their Edmonton files. It will be very interesting to see nonetheless.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

^^ I just hope tyndale isnt the judge and happy he isnt defending criminals any longer, mind you he would punch holes through any bs defense that may be presented...
    Last edited by jdmXSI; 04-17-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Mass slaying suspect acted 'strangely' in days before Brentwood stabbings:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ma...684/story.html

According to news reports, when Justice of the Peace Scott Morgan asked the suspect, "Mr. de Grood, do you understand the charges," de Grood answered: "Um, no comment."

"I just need to know if you understand what you've been charged with," said Morgan after he read out the names of the five victims.

"I'm not sure," answered de Grood, who has since been moved to the Southern Alberta

According to a health-care professional who also spoke on the condition of anonymity, de Grood was being treated for mental health issues dating back to his years as a high school student at St. Francis High School.
    Insanity plea it is.

Originally posted by roopi
    Mass slaying suspect acted 'strangely' in days before Brentwood stabbings:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Ma...684/story.html

Insanity plea it is.
    just what I didn't want to hear, but just like you said..it's definitely being set up for that. Not sure I am believing it.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Oh man, this has got to be rough

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/100...jordan-segura/

Funeral home colleagues arrange service for stabbing victim Jordan Segura

Jordan Segura routinely stomached the difficult task of aiding grieving families with making final preparations to honour their deceased loved one.

Now, it will fall to his work peers to assist his own family in much the same way.

Segura, a victim of the vicious Brentwood house party stabbings early Tuesday, had been working with McInnis and Holloway Funeral Homes part-time and was set to transition to full-time hours after wrapping up school for the summer.

His boss Ernie Hagel said the 22-year-old may have even considered a long-term career in the funeral business.

“I think he was in between, trying to decide,” Hagel said Wednesday of his protege’s future aspirations. “We appreciated having him.”

Hagel met with members of the Segura family to arrange a viewing, scheduled for 2-5 p.m. Sunday, and funeral, planned for 10 a.m. Monday. Both memorials will take place at the Chapel of the Bells, located at 2720 Centre Street North.

Segura’s family requested privacy Wednesday, but cousin Monica previously described as having a “heart of gold and a passion for life and knowledge.”

Segura was a third-year religious studies student at the University of Calgary and a vice-president with the school’s Gnosis club, organized by students in his program.

Previously, Segura was a student in the Bachelor of Arts program at Mount Royal University and majored in history.

Mount Royal is planning a gathering Thursday at the Leacock Theatre from noon to 1 p.m. to pay tribute to Segura and the other four victims killed in Tuesday’s attack. The university has also set up a place for people to share messages of condolence in its wellness services area.

My Ride
    You Crazy

This was on Facebook, from someone that "should" know.

What the news is not telling you... Did they mention that the parents of this young man had tried to have him hospitalized when they suspected he was of his meds for schizophrenia? Or that they were told that it was non of their business because he was over 18? And that regardless of their fears due to FOIP they could not / would not tell them if he had indeed quit taking his meds?
    The parents (yes the dad is a policeman - which is irrelevant as this law applies to everyone) tried to protect their son and the public but were not listened to or offered any help - doors closed in their faces...

As far as I am concerned the AB govt and CRHA should be held liable for the deaths and whatever befalls the young man with schizophrenia.
    Laws need to change when they cause (and they did) bodily harm. Those parents, their son and the kids that were killed never stood a chance. Shame on those who closed the doors and made the laws that allowed this to happen.
    If that is the truth, it's not the CRHA's fault. The Canadian charter and other laws guaranteee individual rights, and you don;t simply lose those rights due to illness. He was obviously his own guardian, and there is nothing anyone could do to force him to take medication.

Losing your rights, and having guardianship taken away, and assigned to someone else is a lengthy and complex procedure, and the policies in place to protect vulnerable individuals, and prevent such atrocities as we saw in Alberta in the 50's, like forced sterilizations, corporal punishment etc.
    Last edited by Toma; 04-17-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Originally posted by Toma
    This was on Facebook, from someone that "should" know.

If that is the truth, it's not the CRHA's fault. The Canadian charter and other laws guaranteee individual rights, and you don;t simply lose those rights due to illness. He was obviously his own guardian, and there is nothing anyone could do to force him to take medication.

Losing your rights, and having guardianship taken away, and assigned to someone else is a lengthy and complex procedure, and the policies in place to protect vulnerable individuals, and prevent such atrocities as we saw in Alberta in the 50's, like forced sterilizations, corporal punishment etc.
    I totally agree with the above -- however -- there's also the issue of de-institutionalization -- the mentally ill walk the streets with shopping carts bc the mental institutions they would have been in 40 or 50 years ago were replaced with cheaper community living options that never actually materialized.

Right wing governments realized that they could abdicate the social responsibility for the mentally ill and not have to pay for them if they let them walk the streets and called them "homeless" -- making it their own fault and saving mucho budget $$.

In this current situation -- Like Toma said, its almost impossible to put some one into the "psych ward" unless they are an immediate threat to themselves or others.

If this rumour about previous mental health issues is true -- it's not CRHA's fault per say, it is however a sign that adequate mental health care is an issue that society may want to explore and "fund"
    Last edited by D. Dub; 04-17-2014 at 11:28 AM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

^^^ There is lots of help available for those that want it, and have adequate means and support to find it. Funding through AISH, and the PDD and other programs is good, could be better, and as with everything in this province, they are eyeing cuts. There is a LOT of red tape to get into the programs, and they add to the bureaucracy every year it seems. Tough for many, but would not have been an issue for this man though. He had people around him that seemed concerned, and would have assisted him if he wanted it.

But again, no one could have forced him to help himself.

Most places have moved away from "psych wards", except for the most serious cases, and are focused on community integration, meaningful contribution, dignified lives. When you see a person with a disability out in the community, shopping etc with their assisted living provider, they are most likely on a program.

I am currently working with 2 schizophrenics, and there is no cure. The medication takes a stab in the dark approach, and you have to cycle through several medications and dosages to find one that "works", but doesn't turn the patient into a zombie. The current thought is often "minimal dose" to maintain quality of life while controlling symptoms.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by D. Dub

I totally agree with the above -- however -- there's also the issue of de-institutionalization -- the mentally ill walk the streets with shopping carts bc the mental institutions they would have been in 40 or 50 years ago were replaced with cheaper community living options that never actually materialized.

Right wing governments realized that they could abdicate the social responsibility for the mentally ill and not have to pay for them if they let them walk the streets and called them "homeless" -- making it their own fault and saving mucho budget $$.

In this current situation -- Like Toma said, its almost impossible to put some one into the "psych ward" unless they are an immediate threat to themselves or others.

If this rumour about previous mental health issues is true -- it's not CRHA's fault per say, it is however a sign that adequate mental health care is an issue that society may want to explore and "fund"
    This guy was identified and given care. He chose to stop taking his meds, a common problem with schizophrenics. Also something I think makes him responsible. He knew what could happen if he stopped taking his meds and was lucid when he made that decision.

I'm not sure if the mentally ill were "dumped" onto the street to save money or if its simply not considered progressive to lock up people with mental health issues anymore.

This is just so so so so sad. I was a personal friend of one of the victims and knowing him and the group of people he would hang out with, they just did not deserve this as he was the most respectable, polite, easy going and fun person. I can never remember a time when Lawrence was not happy or bubbly. He did so much volunteer work and kept so busy. This is just horrendous. I also have a friend that works with Matt de Grood at Crowfoot Safeway, which is also weird. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Extremely strange for me too. Knew four of the five people killed. I was going home from work on Tuesday, saw on twitter that two of the people killed were in a band, opened the link and recognized the names right away. I was just talking to Kaiti's roommate less than a month ago. Crazy stuff. I hope the truth behind this comes out. As the police chief said, these were all good kids. Just a tragic situation all around. Though I must say the out pouring of support from everyone, even those who never met any of these five people is absolutely amazing.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...peak-1.2614266

Live link to Insp. Doug de Groods statement

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Can't imagine how hard it would have been to give that statement.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14 15 ... LastLast