Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 104

Thread: Official Beer Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Peoples Republic of Albertastan
    Posts
    5,215
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Official Beer Thread

    .
    Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:04 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

    Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary/Kelowna
    My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.
    Posts
    505
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Official Beer Thread

    Originally posted by Cos


    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

    Kickass beer fridge man, how the hell did you get it transparent all the way around?




    Jokes aside, I look forward to lurking this thread for new stuff to try.

    Your collab with another beyonder makes me think we should pool some resources and get a local Calgary brewer to construct a beyond.ca special edition beer.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    is not as cool as my benz was
    Posts
    2,656
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Big craft fan, I dabbled in brewing beer, I didn't enjoy my first creation so I stopped. I did enjoy the wine I made way better so I am going to touch on that again shortly

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    BoostLand
    My Ride
    something green
    Posts
    1,653
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I am a big Belgian Wit fan, I often stop at different stores just to look for brands I haven't had yet. A few have disappointed, but not many.
    1987 T62R 20b FC Quaife seq 6sp Motec m800
    1988 20B Peripheral port FC3S
    1994 T51r Kai BB Peripheral port FD

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Food Court Wifi
    My Ride
    2010 Recession Fighter LX
    Posts
    3,869
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    what's the ballpark price for a batch of beer? Anyone feel like brewing up a wit or lager for the sumemr months?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Calgar3h
    My Ride
    S14|TB1
    Posts
    4,667
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: Official Beer Thread

    Originally posted by Cos
    So just realized that Beyond doesn't have an official beer thread.
    I guess not beer aficionado threads but we did have these:

    this one went on for 8 years lol

    http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=360932

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I am a pretty serious home brewer. I brew all-grain and have lost count long ago on how many batches I've done. everything from 5 gallon batches of hefeweizen and IPAs, to 55 gallon batches of barrel aged beer. I created my own temperature controlled fermentation chamber at home where I can control the temp within 0.1 degree celsius, I always use a yeast starter to control my yeast pitch and health, I dry hop, keg, bottle condition, you name it, so if anyone has any brewing related questions I would love nothing more than to share my nerdy knowledge that none of my friends or family ever want to hear about.

    I first got into beer about 8 years ago when i went to Belgium with my wife to visit her family (she's Belgian) and seeing how they treat and experience beer there just instantly converted me for life.

    anyway, I can talk beer and/or brewing for hours. could get the conversation rolling with maybe a brief survey if anyone is interested:

    1) favorite beer style

    2) favorite beer (limit to 1 or 2)

    3) favorite beer location (part A: in Calgary, part B: anywhere in the world)

    4) if you brew, whats the favorite beer you've made?

    5) what beer are you looking for that you haven't found yet? (can be a specific beer that you know exists, or just something you've dreamt up)


    ok maybe i'm too excited about this........

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    here's mine...

    1) favorite beer style: probably barrel aged imperial stouts

    2) favorite beer (limit to 1 or 2): Deschutes The Abyss and Block 15 Sticky Hands (something I had in Portland that's similar to Pliney the Elder)

    3) favorite beer location (part A: in Calgary, part B: anywhere in the world): A) probably beer revolution due to the ever-changing beer menu, B) Portland hands down

    4) if you brew, whats the favorite beer you've made? Probably my Black IPA that I've done a couple times, I call it Fear of the Dark.

    5) what beer are you looking for that you haven't found yet? (can be a specific beer that you know exists, or just something you've dreamt up). I want a beer that tastes just like a Double IPA (think Pliney or even Phillips Amnesiac) but is like 4-5% ABV. I've tried and I am not sure if it's possible. but I'll keep trying.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    207
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by timdog
    I am a pretty serious home brewer. I brew all-grain and have lost count long ago on how many batches I've done. everything from 5 gallon batches of hefeweizen and IPAs, to 55 gallon batches of barrel aged beer. I created my own temperature controlled fermentation chamber at home where I can control the temp within 0.1 degree celsius, I always use a yeast starter to control my yeast pitch and health, I dry hop, keg, bottle condition, you name it, so if anyone has any brewing related questions I would love nothing more than to share my nerdy knowledge that none of my friends or family ever want to hear about.

    I first got into beer about 8 years ago when i went to Belgium with my wife to visit her family (she's Belgian) and seeing how they treat and experience beer there just instantly converted me for life.

    anyway, I can talk beer and/or brewing for hours. could get the conversation rolling with maybe a brief survey if anyone is interested:

    1) favorite beer style

    2) favorite beer (limit to 1 or 2)

    3) favorite beer location (part A: in Calgary, part B: anywhere in the world)

    4) if you brew, whats the favorite beer you've made?

    5) what beer are you looking for that you haven't found yet? (can be a specific beer that you know exists, or just something you've dreamt up)


    ok maybe i'm too excited about this........
    1) Belgian Lambic/Krieks/Sours
    2) New Belgium Brewing - Lafolie (Shit cost like $20 for a bomber!)

    http://www.newbelgium.com/Beer/detai...c-4436f5dc8fa8
    SO fucking good.

    3) Fort Collins, CO
    4) Never brewed
    5) Trying to find more lambics/krieks locally, in Colorado I could find them easily. Proving to be hard in Canada, specially on draft =(

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    nice man! not alot of sour lovers around. i got a tour of the new belgium brewery, it was pretty sweet. they brought us to the barrel room and we sampled some La Folie too. Fort Collins is a wicked town. Luckily for me, I go there for work a few times a year so I always bring back a buttload in my suitcase, haha. There is this sour brewery in portland called Cascade Barrel House, you would love it.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Peoples Republic of Albertastan
    Posts
    5,215
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Re: Official Beer Thread

    .
    Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:04 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

    Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    more on homebrewing cost, for all-grain brewing you are looking at $300 minimum for equipment, but of course you can spend thousands. but then brewing directly from the grain instead of using extract is usually cheaper. for a beer with little hops, I can make about 60 bottles of beer for less than 50 bucks, and then the most I would spend if its a high alcohol and very hoppy beer is maybe $90. so I'm looking at anywhere between 85 cents and $1.50 per beer.
    not to mention you are really in full control of your brewing and the outcome of your beer with all-grain (for better or worse)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Airdrie
    My Ride
    01 i30
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by timdog
    here's mine...

    1) favorite beer style: probably barrel aged imperial stouts

    2) favorite beer (limit to 1 or 2): Deschutes The Abyss and Block 15 Sticky Hands (something I had in Portland that's similar to Pliney the Elder)

    3) favorite beer location (part A: in Calgary, part B: anywhere in the world): A) probably beer revolution due to the ever-changing beer menu, B) Portland hands down

    4) if you brew, whats the favorite beer you've made? Probably my Black IPA that I've done a couple times, I call it Fear of the Dark.

    5) what beer are you looking for that you haven't found yet? (can be a specific beer that you know exists, or just something you've dreamt up). I want a beer that tastes just like a Double IPA (think Pliney or even Phillips Amnesiac) but is like 4-5% ABV. I've tried and I am not sure if it's possible. but I'll keep trying.
    Have you tried Paddock Wood's double IPA Loki? I've never gotten my hands on a Pliney the Elder, but I like Loki more then Amnesiac.

    I got one of those Brooklyn Brew shop kits for Christmas and it was fun but a lot of work for 8-10 beers. I think if I was to do it again I'd just get one of those big add water kits.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Yeah I've tried Double Loki, it's damn good!
    agreed that those small kits can be a bit of a waste of time. Not worth the effort. get a full size 5-6 gallon setup and start with the kits like you said. once you are a bit more comfortable with the process you can start modifying the kits to your liking, then start modifying more and more from there if you are still into it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    207
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by timdog
    nice man! not alot of sour lovers around. i got a tour of the new belgium brewery, it was pretty sweet. they brought us to the barrel room and we sampled some La Folie too. Fort Collins is a wicked town. Luckily for me, I go there for work a few times a year so I always bring back a buttload in my suitcase, haha. There is this sour brewery in portland called Cascade Barrel House, you would love it.
    I went to school for 4 years in Fort Collins, I was spoiled to say the least when it comes to beer. Tour de fat is a blast, its a booze and bike ride put together by New Belgium. We would go on brewery tours at least a couple times a week haha, it was our way of drinking for free. We could do New Belgium, Fort Collins Brewery and Odels(sp?) in under 4 hours haha.

    I will have to check out Cascade Barrel House, sounds great!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,455
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Is there anything like West Coast U Brew in Calgary?http://www.westcoastubrew.com/

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vagabond Backpacker
    My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus
    Posts
    1,159
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: Re: Official Beer Thread

    Originally posted by n1zm0


    I guess not beer aficionado threads but we did have these:

    http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=360932
    I did try to get that Beer Crew thread going but it fizzled out pretty quickly. Hope this thread has better luck.

    I just brought some brewing equipment into Yemen and hope to get into it as a hobby. Lots of logistical issues here as I'll have to use bottled water for everything, including sanitation, and it's difficult to get any supplies in.

    We'll see how it goes.

    First beer will by my AQ Ale. Guess what the AQ stands for given it's being brewed in Yemen...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    '16 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Posts
    263
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    commenting to keep track. some may call me an aficionado but I do not consider myself one, least not yet until I make my own brew. Checking out untapped now.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Peoples Republic of Albertastan
    Posts
    5,215
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    .
    Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 08:50 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

    Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Peoples Republic of Albertastan
    Posts
    5,215
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    .
    Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 08:38 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

    Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Trump Thread (was Trump inaguration.)

    By ZenOps in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 507
    Latest Threads: 06-10-2017, 08:34 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 04-29-2013, 05:40 PM
  3. Beer Crew Thread

    By davidI in forum Food and Dining
    Replies: 41
    Latest Threads: 12-20-2012, 10:58 AM
  4. Replies: 45
    Latest Threads: 02-19-2010, 10:26 AM
  5. The "Official" who is going to win the cup thread!

    By Speed_RaSiR in forum Sports, Health & Fitness
    Replies: 32
    Latest Threads: 04-08-2003, 10:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •