Quantcast
Lawn De-Thatchers - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lawn De-Thatchers

Default Lawn De-Thatchers

Does anyone own a motorized de-thatcher? I'm wondering if this is a worthwhile purchase. I currently have a tiny yard and no room to store it, but now my moms wants to dethatch and she has a large yard and room to store it so thinking about maybe splitting it with her.

I'm wondering how well they work....I tried the lawn mower with de-thatching blade in the past and it just destroyed my lawn. Will a dethatcher do a better job? or will it do the same as the lawn mower and just strip all the grass off?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Dethatchers work awesome buts not something that needs to be done that often.

Your better off renting one and using it for a day but be warned the amount of grass you can get can be quite staggering if never done.

My Ride
    Horse

Hire a company to do it, get them to aerate at the same time.

No maintenance needed to equipment, no need to pickup and drop off equipment, no need to work.... BIGGEST part is no need to dispose of old grass.

Rogers Rent All do rent them out at a decent price though and you get a good unit compared to the crappy ones made for consumers.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

It's GRASS for FFS. It's been around for millions of years.

De-thatching grass is a scam just like furnace duct cleaning.

My Ride
    Horse

You have no idea what you are talking about.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Seth1968
    It's GRASS for FFS. It's been around for millions of years.

De-thatching grass is a scam just like furnace duct cleaning.
    Dethatching allows for grass to grow better and more fuller as the dead stuff is pulled away.

If you have ever dethatched a lawn you would know how much dead grass you can get.

My Ride
    4x4

Vertical mowers good - those spiked blades for your lawnmower - bad...

And yeah - rogers rentall - best solution for this stuff

I thought buying one would be a decent option because i seen them at sears like 3 years ago and i think they were around 300. So it would be a decent investment. I manually rake my front lawn and it's is alot like work!

I'll check out the Rogers place.

Originally posted by AndyL
    Vertical mowers good - those spiked blades for your lawnmower - bad...
    Do you mean bad for your lawn or bad for your mower? I would argue it's not bad for the lawn at all - granted you have a thick layer of thatch (i.e. it actually needs de-thatching) and you set the blades to the correct height (i.e. you're not scalping your lawn). I just did mine last week using a spiked blade on my mower (actual spikes x 8) - if it's not scalping the lawn, I don't think it would be much harder on the engine/mower than a regular grass cutting.

This is what I used - I was unsure of how it would hold up, but decided I'd give it a shot. Worked great and I could barely tell it was used when I was done.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/po...l#.U1LMaqhX-uY
    Last edited by Env-Consultant; 04-19-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-02-2020 at 12:42 AM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    Get your hands on one of these rakes. They can be purchased anywhere. Save yourself a lot of money and it doesn't take that long to do it by hand. You'll also have more control in what you are doing than using something motorized. Enjoy the nice weather while you are at it. Now that's participaction!

I have one of those and ....no, no, no, no.
    Not fun at all. Lol

Add for the lawn mower de-thatching blade, i tried the one with the nails and like i said it was with too high or too low. Scalping the lawn or not de-thatching at all. Plus it can damage your drive Sherry on the mower. Voids the warranty.

The de thatching rake does a really nice job and is quite a good work out!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The rake ratfink posted will do a great job, but it is a lot of work.

People obsess over thatch, but really it's normal and natural to have some thatch in a healthy lawn. Most people also cut their lawns too short, and water too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by firebane

Dethatching allows for grass to grow better and more fuller as the dead stuff is pulled away.

If you have ever dethatched a lawn you would know how much dead grass you can get.
    I forgot about my last post as I haven't been around for a while, and was intoxicated when I wrote it. Anyway, due to such, I got confused with dethatching and aerating.

I dethatched my front lawn a few days ago (like I do every year), and took out 3 garbage bags full of dead grass and unknown debris (don't ask lol). Both of which would help prevent those pesky light and water nourishments to get grass to grow successfully.

So ya, take the dead stuff out of it, and that's a productive thing. Aerating though?, I'm thinking it's meaningless (and possibly destructive) when all the other lawn care tips are taken into account.

Aerating is useful if you need it. As in you've got a packed yard. But then you have to find out what the main cause is of having a packed yard and how to get rid of the problem. A once a year aerate isn't going to last all year

Originally posted by HomespunLobster
    Aerating is useful if you need it. As in you've got a packed yard
    Packed by what exactly?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by HomespunLobster
    Aerating is useful if you need it. As in you've got a packed yard. But then you have to find out what the main cause is of having a packed yard and how to get rid of the problem. A once a year aerate isn't going to last all year
    Aerating punches holes in the ground to allow better drainage into the ground.

Depending on the soil that you have in your yard no amount of aerating will help; take clay for a example

Originally posted by Seth1968

Packed by what exactly?
    Type of dirt usually. If there's a lot of traffic through the yard, general rain.
    Aerating will help start the process, but you've gotta get thicker grass, a bit of sand, more nutrient soil into the ground to help break up the soil better. I find a power rake does much better than an aerate.
    And when I do my yard, I'll aerate first then power rake to get rid of the plugs

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If your soil is too compacted, aerating and top-dressing with sand and possibly a little bit of compost can help, but it'll take years to really change the composition of the soil.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Go to Lee Valley and buy their Power Rake.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...t=2,44821&ap=1

It is honestly the best rake you will EVER buy. I dethatch my lawn in the spring and fall and it takes me maybe 2 hours with this rake. It is also WAY lighter than the wooden handled ones posted above.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

^^Yup, I've got the same one and it's awesome. Dethatched my backyard (50'x36' of grass) in about an hour.

Deadly too, one of the spikes ripped one of my fingernails off last fall

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast