Quantcast
Why isn't ICF construction more common? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of ICF?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • ICF is awesome and should be used more often, I would build a house using this method.

23 62.16%
  • ICF is a fad, and offers limited benefits for too much cost

5 13.51%
  • Fuck ICF, I only build AMG.

9 24.32%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Why isn't ICF construction more common?

My Ride
    Trucks

I have an uncle that built an ICF house into the side of a hill and uses a low pressure wood pellet boiler to heat the basement slab. The house could almost stay warm most of the winter with just a couple of candles lit upstairs. I helped put in the foundation with him and would certainly go the same route if I built in a rural area.

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That dude is not really a good example of how an ICF home would normally be built. He's closer to what @eblend is doing, hand-built, or self-built home with a lot of unique features.

Cool bump though. I still think ICF is a really smart construction technology, very well suited to harsh climates.
    Is cost for ICF still 2-3x than normal build (from ur 2014 post). I don’t know much ICF for industrial builds tho… (usually tilt up or precast)… that’s what I was search for, for a future build. But of course nothing beats (cheapest) for steel structure for industrial

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

I feel ICF is a waste oi 6" of concrete. Concrete is a poor insulator, but a good thermal mass, but on a ICF house, you essentially have the concrete in the middle, negating this benefit with only 2.75" of foam in and out. If you lived somewhere with tornado's and hurricanes, sure, go for it. It will be the only house standing afterwards lol.

I think in terms of efficiency, SIPS is the way to go, there are many variations around, but in terms of heating and cooling, you get more insulation. Some builders are doing sips panels, then a more traditional timber frame, you can get R38 from a 8.25" XPS SIPS panel and my parents went with 10.25 with EPS foam (R35), and 12.25" EPS panels for the roof (R42).

You do need dehumidifier for both, along with a good HRV.
    MAGA = My Ass Got Arrested.

Beware the passive aggressive Mean Girls. Vengie, Killramos, Penismightier, buster, jrscoolude, etc who bully others into their circle jerk opinion, serially negging you, while claiming they ignore you and don't obsess over you.

PSA. High school is not a popularity contest little girls

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    I have an uncle that built an ICF house into the side of a hill and uses a low pressure wood pellet boiler to heat the basement slab. The house could almost stay warm most of the winter with just a couple of candles lit upstairs. I helped put in the foundation with him and would certainly go the same route if I built in a rural area.
    I had a 2012ish bungalow build with ICF in Alberta and I can attest to this. I set the basement (8ft ceiling) slab heat to 20 deg and the furnace rarely kicked in for the first floor. Since I was the second owner I can't attest to initial building costs.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I've got a friend who runs a structural engineering firm in Regina that does work all over Canada and they big big proponents of ICF construction when financially feasible to do so. it seems like every post on the firm's social media is either some crazy unique feature or an ICF build. I don't know much about them but I know she raves about them
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    Is cost for ICF still 2-3x than normal build (from ur 2014 post). I don’t know much ICF for industrial builds tho… (usually tilt up or precast)… that’s what I was search for, for a future build. But of course nothing beats (cheapest) for steel structure for industrial
    As far as I know concrete is still more expensive than wood, so yes. Keep in mind the additional costs for using a pumper truck for all of it; a couple of Neanderthals on wheelbarrows doesn't work for ICF pours.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Once we start paying carbon tax on everything, and we switch to carbicrete, should be cheaper?

My Ride
    2019 Peterbilt

Once we start paying carbon tax on everything, and we switch to carbicrete, should be cheaper?
    Or foamcrete. Literally a giant foam machine aerating a cement mortar mix. Not as strong, but much better insulating values.

There are people making "foam concrete". It's interesting stuff. Basically a giant bubble machine foaming a cement or mortar mix. Some are fiber reinforcing it with chopped strands of various fibers. Yes, fiberglass, but also stuff like Hemp. It is not as strong as concrete, but now acts as an insulator and you use much less material.
    MAGA = My Ass Got Arrested.

Beware the passive aggressive Mean Girls. Vengie, Killramos, Penismightier, buster, jrscoolude, etc who bully others into their circle jerk opinion, serially negging you, while claiming they ignore you and don't obsess over you.

PSA. High school is not a popularity contest little girls

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    As far as I know concrete is still more expensive than wood, so yes. Keep in mind the additional costs for using a pumper truck for all of it; a couple of Neanderthals on wheelbarrows doesn't work for ICF pours.
    I worked at lumino down by chinook mall. We used a pump truck for our icf pours, up until like the 7'th or 8'th floors. After that it was all bucket and crane. And let me tell ya some of the blow outs we had were wicked. Im afan of icfin the sense that its super easy to work with but uh... other than that hard no.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by Toilet_X View Post
    I worked at lumino down by chinook mall. We used a pump truck for our icf pours, up until like the 7'th or 8'th floors. After that it was all bucket and crane. And let me tell ya some of the blow outs we had were wicked. Im afan of icfin the sense that its super easy to work with but uh... other than that hard no.
    If you had blow outs, it wasn’t done right. It takes a shitload of work to brace it properly, even for small residential pours (e.g., an addition to a house), and that’s a great place to cut corners… which is something pretty popular with lots of builders.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    I dunno. We got a 25X25 raised (3ft) deck poured for less than what it would have cost to build a wooden one.

Hell 85ft of fence was $14K with 4x4 posts. Told them to fuck off. 6x6 posts was another $2K. Told them to fuck off again.

My Ride
    *The First*

^That's some DadFucking prices right there!

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    Hell 85ft of fence was $14K with 4x4 posts.
    Holy shit. I should start a fence building company.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    I dunno. We got a 25X25 raised (3ft) deck poured for less than what it would have cost to build a wooden one.

Hell 85ft of fence was $14K with 4x4 posts. Told them to fuck off. 6x6 posts was another $2K. Told them to fuck off again.
    That's pretty outrageous. TIL $wood >= $concrete. Either that, or your fence/deck builder is trying to raw dog you.

Curious what beyond thinks of this idea. Maybe bundled with some solar panels direct attached to some heating elements (no battery) but of course with fan running on battery. For ultra-remote locations, instead of or supplementary propane.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3